Now I Know Next Year Will Be Good

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who are lazy and don't want to click and scroll:

yahoo article said:
Green Bay Packers (4-8) – Allowing 340 yards and 22 first downs to the Jets in Sunday's first half was mind-boggling. Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders is as good as gone once in the offseason.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
seriously how great would it be ... him getting fired and signging jim bates :D

he didnt want it the 1st time what makes you or anyone else think he will take it a 2nd time..Not to mention you think they would offer it to him again?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt in my mind that he wouldnt come back as a DC. Why would he? I think we should give him the job of the head coach ;)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perfect solution. Nick Barnett will be in his 5th year and playing for his 5th DC. Yet we will not have a good defense.

I think we've done a great job in experimenting with the notion that dumping our DC will improve the defense. Maybe we should hang onto a DC to see if he can improve the defense.

I do agree that Schot needs to be fired. We've been getting killed by assignment breakdowns in the secondary this year. But that doesn't mean we need to scrap our defense yet again.

GO PACK GO!!!

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates did a good job. you said "yet we will not have a good defense" We had one last year. We had a decent defense. With the offense that we could potentaly have..I think if we had a solid D it would be good enough.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates did a good job. you said "yet we will not have a good defense" We had one last year. We had a decent defense. With the offense that we could potentaly have..I think if we had a solid D it would be good enough.

Our defense was ok, but not solid or good last year. I think Bates did a good job with it, as I think it was a good choice to promote Sanders to keep the same defensive scheme in place. We couldn't keep Bates and we won't be able to intice him back for the same job he turned down. He has too much pride for that!

The fact is that if we fire Sanders, we will not get Bates to replace him. That means a new DC and a new defensive scheme. It won't change our youth and inexperience on defense. It won't prevent the communication breakdowns in the secondary.

If you want a bottom barrel team year after year, then we should just fire the coaching staff every year. If you want to see this team build and get better as the young players develop, then we need to have some patience with the coaching staff as well.

GO PACK GO!!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had better get the defense fixed in the offseason, as well as makikng the offense more consistent....the schedule next year looks much tougher than this year:

Home
Philadelphia
Washington
Oakland
San Diego
Carolina(?NFC South 3rd)

Away
Dallas
New York Giants
Denver
Kansas City
St. Louis(?NFC West 3rd)

Reaction score
The problem is who do they get to replace Sanders?

That was the problem the past offseason too, who wanted to come in and replace Bates?

If you were a DC, would the Packers situation attract you AT ALL? 5 DCs in 5 years says something, and it sure isn't "this is the best place to be for security".

IMO McCarthy will hire from in house, specifically Winston Moss. I must say he has potential, especially seeing the way this LB unit has developed and especially how Popp has become LOADS better in terms of coverage.

Reaction score
Make Bates the highest paid coordinator in the NFL. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Porky, do you believe that Bates can co-exist with McCarthy?

I believe Packersnews.com said it best, McCarthy got the job that Bates believed was his. I'm not so sure the burnt bridges between Bates and Thompson can be repaired.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Make Bates the highest paid coordinator in the NFL. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

I believe Packersnews.com said it best, McCarthy got the job that Bates believed was his. I'm not so sure the burnt bridges between Bates and Thompson can be repaired.

I think if the price was right Mike Sherman would come back as OC. It's all about money and if Bates sees it on the table he won't refuse it. I don't think their is any hard feelings with McCarthy and Bates. I think it's more so T.T. and Bates but like stated $$$ can make you get over anything.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be nice to have Bates again, but I don't think he would come back after his disappointment about not getting the head coaching job. The Packers even bought out the last year of his contract. It would just be too weird.

As for Sanders, I'm not sure. As a fan, I don't feel qualified to make the call on him. But McCarthy will have to take a long look. No matter how I look at this defense, I think the talent has been upgraded, yet they are worse than last year. McCarthy has to at least consider canning Sanders. If a good, experienced DC becomes available, or a hot-shot positions coach from another team is ready to make the move up to DC, McCarthy would be justified in dumping Sanders.

Sanders had a full year to get to know the personnel in Green Bay, and he had coached under Bates for several years. He should've learned more by now than what he's shown. Then again, if Thompson can find a couple of decent safeties and another pass rusher or two, maybe the defense can turn the corner, even with Sanders at the helm.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
It would be nice to have Bates again, but I don't think he would come back after his disappointment about not getting the head coaching job. The Packers even bought out the last year of his contract. It would just be too weird.

As for Sanders, I'm not sure. As a fan, I don't feel qualified to make the call on him. But McCarthy will have to take a long look. No matter how I look at this defense, I think the talent has been upgraded, yet they are worse than last year. McCarthy has to at least consider canning Sanders. If a good, experienced DC becomes available, or a hot-shot positions coach from another team is ready to make the move up to DC, McCarthy would be justified in dumping Sanders.

Sanders had a full year to get to know the personnel in Green Bay, and he had coached under Bates for several years. He should've learned more by now than what he's shown. Then again, if Thompson can find a couple of decent safeties and another pass rusher or two, maybe the defense can turn the corner, even with Sanders at the helm.

I believe the personnel on defense has absolutely gotten better. For whatever reason the schemes Sanders is asking them to operate in just doesn't fit.

What is bothersome is that during the week of practice everyone seems satisfied with the preparation but on game day the execution is not there.

This may be radical thinking but looking at the personnel we have I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to consider a 3-4 defensive guru out there and picking up a truck or trailor like this Brady from Michigan for the nose.

We have the LB's that can get after the QB and two quality cover corners. It's just a thought and maybe a stupid idea because it is a significant change but the idea is to fit the scheme around the strengths of the personnel we have.

I think what Sanders is attempting to do is solid conceptually and has obvioulsy worked for Bates in the past but does not appear, for whatever reason, to play to the strengths of the guys out there trying to execute it.

Regardless, the personnel on the DL has got to improve. I know they talk about this area as a strength but I only see that in depth. Do we have four guys out there that are a load for any offensive line? No.

It's great we can interchange players and give guys a rest but if that doesn't equate to fresh personnel that can get at the QB what difference does it make?

I see little sense in looking behind the line until we know we have guys there that can win the battle at the line of scrimmage. We seemed to have regressed as of late to very inconsistant pressure on the qb and sacks are down.
This has been our dimise since Tausher went down and we are not going to dominate the line on the offensive side of the ball.

Just when we need the DL to step it up and keep us in the game and hope Brett and the boys can put enough points up to win they start to sputter.

It all starts on the line and I can understand why we are struggling more now on offense with Tausher out but cannot see why the DL play and QB pressures has dropped so badly.

The only thing I can see is the last three teams we played are pretty good football teams and our guys down there just aren't at the level we need them to be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I believe the personnel on defense has absolutely gotten better. For whatever reason the schemes Sanders is asking them to operate in just doesn't fit.

What is bothersome is that during the week of practice everyone seems satisfied with the preparation but on game day the execution is not there.

This may be radical thinking but looking at the personnel we have I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to consider a 3-4 defensive guru out there and picking up a truck or trailor like this Brady from Michigan for the nose.

We have the LB's that can get after the QB and two quality cover corners. It's just a thought and maybe a stupid idea because it is a significant change but the idea is to fit the scheme around the strengths of the personnel we have.

I think what Sanders is attempting to do is solid conceptually and has obvioulsy worked for Bates in the past but does not appear, for whatever reason, to play to the strengths of the guys out there trying to execute it.

Regardless, the personnel on the DL has got to improve. I know they talk about this area as a strength but I only see that in depth. Do we have four guys out there that are a load for any offensive line? No.

It's great we can interchange players and give guys a rest but if that doesn't equate to fresh personnel that can get at the QB what difference does it make?

I see little sense in looking behind the line until we know we have guys there that can win the battle at the line of scrimmage. We seemed to have regressed as of late to very inconsistant pressure on the qb and sacks are down.
This has been our dimise since Tausher went down and we are not going to dominate the line on the offensive side of the ball.

Just when we need the DL to step it up and keep us in the game and hope Brett and the boys can put enough points up to win they start to sputter.

It all starts on the line and I can understand why we are struggling more now on offense with Tausher out but cannot see why the DL play and QB pressures has dropped so badly.

The only thing I can see is the last three teams we played are pretty good football teams and our guys down there just aren't at the level we need them to be.

VEry good point..

If people look at last years roster on the D compared to this year, they would be hard pressed to say we had more talent last year.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be radical thinking but looking at the personnel we have I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to consider a 3-4 defensive guru out there and

picking up a truck or trailor like this Brady from Michigan for the nose.

I like that idea.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before we re-tool the defense, think it might be smarter and a whole lot simpler to first try a new secondary coach?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nope, no way, MM can, and has all his tenure in the NFL, coexist with failure and losing, I dont think Bates will feel at home under a losing HC, and maybe MM, without deserving it, got the job that Bates deserved.

I dont think Bates feels great about it, anyway if Teddy is as stubborn as he is and he decides to stick with MM we will end up looking for another HC in one year from now after another real bad season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Nope, no way, MM can, and has all his tenure in the NFL, coexist with failure and losing,

Again think that MM has always been a failure...Guess not looking at his time in N.O means nothing, even breaking all the scoring records, getting the offensive coach of the year is only handed out to losers.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Sitting out a year can change things dramatically. Remember, Bates STILL resides IN Green Bay! I'm sure knowing his "successor" (and i use that loosely) is failing where he left off has to bother him.

I'm not saying its going to happen, I'm just saying it could. Saying Bates wouldn't come back from the HC scenario that took place last year won't be much of a factor.

Bates is a grown man, not a child who is gonna hold a grudge.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Sitting out a year can change things dramatically. Remember, Bates STILL resides IN Green Bay! I'm sure knowing his "successor" (and i use that loosely) is failing where he left off has to bother him.

I'm not saying its going to happen, I'm just saying it could. Saying Bates wouldn't come back from the HC scenario that took place last year won't be much of a factor.

Bates is a grown man, not a child who is gonna hold a grudge.

It's not about holding a grudge, it's about pride. Bates knew that he had more experience and a better track record than MM. He also knew the team and was ready to step in as HC. TT told him he wasn't good enough by hiring MM instead. I just can't see Bates swallowing his pride to come back for a DC job. The only way he would rejoin the team would be as a HC, and I just can't see that happening.

Latest posts