November in Miami?

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
My family and I drove many many hours to Green Bay 3 years ago to see the Pack vs Dolphins.(father-in-law is a 'Fins fan) Now we are planning a trip to Disney World next November and we know the Pack will play in Miami next season. What do you think the chances are that they will play Miami in November? We know tickets will be easy to get since their stadium is always 1/4 to 1/2 empty.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think the NFL has a formula for determining the date for specific matchups. I think they do like to have certain marquee matchups later in the year, but with the way the balance of power can change from year to year, even that can be tricky. When the NFL is putting the schedule together they look at all kinds of factors, including potential conflicts with other sports teams that play in the same city.
If you look at it just from a probability standpoint, the 16 game NFL regular season lasts approximately 4 full months (September-December), therefore you have about a 25% chance of the Packers playing in Miami sometime in the month of November. If you're looking at a specific weekend, the odds drop to approximately 6%.
It would actually be a benefit to the Packers if the Miami game was scheduled in November or December. The heat and humidity is brutal down there early in the season.

Hope it works out for you.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think the NFL has a formula for determining the date for specific matchups. I think they do like to have certain marquee matchups later in the year, but with the way the balance of power can change from year to year, even that can be tricky. When the NFL is putting the schedule together they look at all kinds of factors, including potential conflicts with other sports teams that play in the same city.
If you look at it just from a probability standpoint, the 16 game NFL regular season lasts approximately 4 full months (September-December), therefore you have about a 25% chance of the Packers playing in Miami sometime in the month of November. If you're looking at a specific weekend, the odds drop to approximately 6%.
It would actually be a benefit to the Packers if the Miami game was scheduled in November or December. The heat and humidity is brutal down there early in the season.

Hope it works out for you.
Isn't another factor for a team schedule based on how well they played?
For ex: A SB winner might face more winning or better teams than a last place team outside the division?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
For ex: A SB winner might face more winning or better teams than a last place team outside the division?
2 games are based on how the teams finished the year before. The rest follow a formula.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My family and I drove many many hours to Green Bay 3 years ago to see the Pack vs Dolphins.(father-in-law is a 'Fins fan) Now we are planning a trip to Disney World next November and we know the Pack will play in Miami next season. What do you think the chances are that they will play Miami in November? We know tickets will be easy to get since their stadium is always 1/4 to 1/2 empty.
Packers should also play in Tampa in 2014.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nah, winning the Super Bowl doesn't guarantee tougher opponents. The formula is a rotation based on which divisions you played last season, and where you finished in your division. For example, last year we played the AFC South and NFC West. This year we rotate to play the NFC East and AFC North, and next season we'll play the AFC East and NFC South. Additionally, we'll play NFC teams from the East and West who finish in the same place in their division as we do in ours. For example, we finished first in our division last year, just like SF and Atlanta did in theirs. That's why we had/have them on our schedule this year. If we go on to win our division next year, then we'll play the division winners out of the NFC West and East next year. If we finish second, we'll play the second place finishers, and so on.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, winning the Super Bowl doesn't guarantee tougher opponents. The formula is a rotation based on which divisions you played last season, and where you finished in your division. For example, last year we played the AFC South and NFC West. This year we rotate to play the NFC East and AFC North, and next season we'll play the AFC East and NFC South. Additionally, we'll play NFC teams from the East and West who finish in the same place in their division as we do in ours. For example, we finished first in our division last year, just like SF and Atlanta did in theirs. That's why we had/have them on our schedule this year. If we go on to win our division next year, then we'll play the division winners out of the NFC West and East next year. If we finish second, we'll play the second place finishers, and so on.

Correct. Only two of our opponents are TBD and Poppa San is correct that we play in Tampa next season. So it looks like Munch has double the chance the Packers are playing in Florida during the Disney trip:

Home Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, New England, NY Jets, NFC East*
Away Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Miami, NFC West*
* Team from that division that finishes in the same spot in the 2013 standings.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I will only have time for one game. We are hoping for a 'Fins vs Pack game so my father-in-law can see the Fins @ home.
And of course, being the dutiful S-I-L, you'll be along to keep your eye on troublemakers like these:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!