Notes: Thompson: Rookie similar to Tauscher

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB MCGINN
[email protected]
Posted: April 30, 2008

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers were willing to take a chance on unheralded tackle-guard Josh Sitton of Central Florida late in the fourth round partially because he reminded them of Mark Tauscher.

In terms of height, weight, vertical jump and intelligence, Sitton is eerily similar to Tauscher when he joined the Packers as a seventh-round draft choice from Wisconsin in 2000. Their style of play was comparable as well.

"I'm not saying he's Mark Tauscher," general manager Ted Thompson said Wednesday. "Mark Tauscher is a bona fide NFL starting player, so I'm not trying to put a draft choice in the same category.

"But he has similarities to Mark. You will see similarities in their movement and in their ability to absorb charges and block their guy."

Thompson said that like Tauscher, Sitton has demonstrated the ability to keep his feet and recover when a pass rusher beats him initially.

Tauscher, the 224th selection eight years ago, started one year at right tackle in college but did play left guard in the East-West Shrine game. Sitton, the 135th pick, was a four-year regular with starts at right tackle and both guards.

Tauscher and Sitton both measured 6-foot-3 1/2 and scored 25 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. Sitton weighs 324 pounds, 11 more than Tauscher.

Their vertical jumps were almost equal (29 inches for Sitton, 27 for Tauscher). The edge for Sitton is in 40-yard dash time (5.18 seconds to 5.42) and broad jump (9-foot-0 to 7-6).

Thompson maintained that Sitton wasn't a reach.

Roster chatter
The Packers have 13 wide receivers on their 80-man roster, and Thompson couldn't say definitely that there would be room much longer for Koren Robinson.

"We're still kind of working through our roster," Thompson said. "We're not letting anybody go. We'll see how it works itself out."

Robinson, 28, played 196 snaps in nine regular-season games. Counting playoffs, he caught 25 passes for 257 yards (10.3) and one touchdown. A favorite of Brett Favre, Robinson has a bone-on-bone knee problem that probably isn't going to go away.

Robinson was in Green Bay earlier in the week but has been working out back home in North Carolina, not with his teammates, since the off-season program for veterans began March 31.

"Sometimes they have legitimate reasons why they're not here," Thompson said. "And I want to say his was a fairly legitimate reason. I just don't specifically remember what it was."

Meanwhile, two veterans without contracts, tight end Ryan Krause and center Tyson Walter, won't return, Thompson indicated.

Krause played 128 snaps in the regular season and caught two passes. Walter suffered a season-ending toe injury Aug. 30.

Jason Spitz (14 starts), Daryn Colledge (15 starts) and Junius Coston (seven starts) will battle for starting jobs at guard.

"In my mind right this second I'd say our two starting guards are the way we finished the season," Thompson said. "Spitz and Colledge."

Given the tighter rosters, the Packers might not go to training camp with a fourth quarterback. Even though the Packers just drafted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn, Thompson doesn't think a competent veteran would necessarily deem Green Bay as an impossible situation to make a team.

Asked if would mind entering the regular season with Aaron Rodgers backed by two rookies, Thompson replied, "It's OK with me. Now we've never seen two of them with a Packer helmet on yet. Let's take this one step at a time."

Top pick
Although there were strong indications the Packers would have remained at No. 30 to select cornerback Antoine Cason if he hadn't been taken three picks earlier by San Diego, Thompson wouldn't confirm it.

"We liked Antoine Cason," he said. "We think he'll be a good NFL player."

With Cason gone, Thompson traded down to No. 36. By doing so the Packers lost the chance to draft defensive end Phillip Merling, who would have figured as an inside rusher on passing downs as a rookie. He went No. 32.

"Merling was a player we would have considered at several spots along the way," Thompson said.

Although Devin Thomas, the top-rated wide receiver for some teams, lasted until No. 34, Thompson wouldn't say Thomas would have been the pick over Jordy Nelson.

Nelson, the third receiver taken, finished with the ninth most points at the position in a Journal Sentinel pre-draft poll of 18 scouts.

"As scouts, we think we were right on (Nelson)," Thompson said. "I can't explain what other people might say prior to the draft. I'm not saying it's not interesting reading, but if you're trying to do your job and you get caught up in that and Mel Kiper's mock drafts, then all of a sudden you start drafting based on that. So we decided to stick with the football guy."

Character issues
To his knowledge, Thompson said none of the nine draftees tested positive for drugs during college or at the combine. Also, he said that the Packers don't automatically drop a player for one positive test.

"I think we try to judge each person," Thompson said. "We acknowledge that everybody makes mistakes. We will eliminate someone if we think he's a bad guy. I think there's good guys and bad guys."

Sitton was arrested for driving drunk in 2006. Tackle Breno Giacomini, a fifth-round pick, was arrested March 21 for the same offense.

"First of all, a DUI is a very serious offense," Thompson said. "Obviously, those are huge mistakes made by both players. We checked into that very closely.

"(Giacomini) is very conscious of the mistake he made and is aggressively trying to remedy that.

"As for Sitton, same thing. Great guy. Made a serious mistake. We don't think that's a problem going forward."

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was a bizarro article. He makes it sound like the only reason they took him was because of the comparison to Tauscher.

I also like how the bit about Sitton ends with, "Thompson maintained that Sitton wasn't a reach." Umm, okay.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Sometimes they have legitimate reasons why they're not here," Thompson said. "And I want to say his was a fairly legitimate reason. I just don't specifically remember what it was."

He remembers.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly Thompson knows himself it was kind of a reach, but I'm buying into that theory someone here presented, that Thompson decided to take some risk with Sitton and Giacomini to hit the jackpot instead of getting two under par guards.

Giacomini seems to have some flare and plays with intensity from what I've seen, maybe he's one of those late round OL guys that get overlooked by most teams. His size is amazing. Same goes for Sitton, he put up some impressing numbers at the combine I think, but he's a little smaller than Giacomini.

note: I didn't react too much to his so-called obscene act towards the Kentucky fans, I think it took some guts to do it, but of course that's something you leave behind in collegeball.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've flipped off people that I shouldn't have, many times. That was probably the reason i didn't get drafted this year.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bertram.. I see your warming up to the OL picks a little more than previous..

http://www.packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15218

#6 Josh Sitton, OG Central Florida

Seems like a reach to me, he was projected to go undrafted and has had a lot of problems, drunk driving and getting cut all over his body, has ADHD. Don't know if this is a guy we would want on our team, it's up to him to prove me wrong.

Grade: F

#7 Breno Giacomini, OT Louisville

Huge tackle, has technique problems and isn't as strong as you'd expect. Also has been arrested for drunk driving. Questionable pick.

Grade: D

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My grades still stand. They have serious character issues, but if they leave those things behind in college, and NFL coaching can improve them on their weak points, they could be good offensive linesmen. The things I've noted in this thread are the things I like about them, I just thought they were outweighed by the negative stuff.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I've flipped off people that I shouldn't have, many times. That was probably the reason i didn't get drafted this year.

This is one reason I will nominate you again for funniest poster.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty off-topic but my sister is interested in attending UCF the same college that Sitton went. Also the NCAA rushing leader Smith went to. The weirdest occurrence was pretty sad though as I went to visit with her and my mom over spring break (about a month and a half ago) and the day we were at the school a WR that played for them died in workouts. Talk about eerie.

About the picks though, if Thompson had Sitton that high on his board I can't really call it a reach, I mean, you'd have to call half of TT's picks reaches if you evaluated that way. On the flipside, I don't have anything positive to say about either linemen because I had never heard of them.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bah, I don't see how Koren does not make this team in 2008 unless he does something absolutely stupid again or has a terrible training camp. I'd actually have to think a full off-season of mini-camps and training camp will only benefit him. I thought he did a decent job coming in after a full year off from football and definitely did a good job on kick returns.

We may have a "glut" of recievers, but how many have any legitmate shot to unseat our current guys outside of Jordy?

Driver - Lock
Jennings - Lock
Jones - Lock, although he'll probably have to battle for the slot position with Jordy
Nelson - Lock, see Jones
Robinson - Decent 5th option and Kick returner
Martin - May take Bodiford's place on inactive duty most weeks, but will be very good depth assuming we carry 6 recievers again
----------------------------------
Swain - Practice Squad
Bodiford - Cut in Training Camp
Francies - Cut in Training Camp
Quinn - Practice Squad or cut in camp
Smith - Practice Squad or cut in camp
Harper - Practice Squad or cut in camp
Allen - Practice Squad or cut in camp

Unless one of these young guys comes in and absolutely blows away the coaching staff and does enough to unseat Martin at the bottom of the depth chart, I don't see any of them making the final roster. That's not to say we couldn't pull a trade for a guy like Martin and bring one of them onto the final 53-man roster, but at this point, just have to wait and see during camp.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was a bizarro article. He makes it sound like the only reason they took him was because of the comparison to Tauscher.

I also like how the bit about Sitton ends with, "Thompson maintained that Sitton wasn't a reach." Umm, okay.

I think what makes the article a little odd is that the writer was patching together quotes from a press conference, which would've been all responses to questions, but he does not include the questions. So, for example, when Thompson "maintained that Sitton wasn't a reach," he probably said that because some reporter asked if Sitton was a reach. A dumb question, but those are the kinds of questions they ask sometimes.

I think the mention of vertical jump is funny. Could somebody please tell me the significance of vertical jump for an offensive tackle? Do they maybe have to jump up in the air to block a guy who is trying to jump over them?

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes they jump to knock down a pass!

Other than that, it tells us something about his overall athletic abillity, which is useful in the evaluation of players.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I think what makes the article a little odd is that the writer was patching together quotes from a press conference, which would've been all responses to questions, but he does not include the questions. So, for example, when Thompson "maintained that Sitton wasn't a reach," he probably said that because some reporter asked if Sitton was a reach. A dumb question, but those are the kinds of questions they ask sometimes.

I think the mention of vertical jump is funny. Could somebody please tell me the significance of vertical jump for an offensive tackle? Do they maybe have to jump up in the air to block a guy who is trying to jump over them?

explosiveness in the legs. for run blocking

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="Bertram"]sometimes they jump to knock down a pass!

Other than that, it tells us something about his overall athletic abillity, which is useful in the evaluation of players.[/quote]

Offensive lineman? What league do you watch?

Pack93z

Reaction score
hrms... interesting read. I'm still not buying it on Sitton.

Have you seen him in pads yet? Have you seen him in camp yet.. why so quick to judge him as a reach, mistake, waste, etc?

I didn't watch any of his college games, so I have no clue other than some of the clips I have seen and the things I have read... but I am curious why some are so quick to judge him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

Have you seen him in pads yet? Have you seen him in camp yet.. why so quick to judge him as a reach, mistake, waste, etc?

I didn't watch any of his college games, so I have no clue other than some of the clips I have seen and the things I have read... but I am curious why some are so quick to judge him.

it's fun.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="Bertram"]sometimes they jump to knock down a pass!

Other than that, it tells us something about his overall athletic abillity, which is useful in the evaluation of players.

Offensive lineman? What league do you watch?[/quote]

lol I was thinking DT, but of course he's not a DT, but he's still one of those fat guys on the team ;)

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

Why are you so quick to judge him as hall of fame material? I haven't seen much film on Sitton, that is true, but I'll be bluntly honest here, until these rookies prove they can play at the NFL level, they are nothing but a crap shoot. Since Sitton isn't a well known player, I'm going to be highly skeptical of the pick and I think I have a right to be Skeptical if I want to be. I also judge the pick because I saw the other guys who were available when we picked him, and I think we could have done better. Which is not necessarily an indictment of Sitton, so much as it is a big puzzler why we took him over someone else that has performed against better competition in College.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Why are you so quick to judge him as hall of fame material? I haven't seen much film on Sitton, that is true, but I'll be bluntly honest here, until these rookies prove they can play at the NFL level, they are nothing but a crap shoot. Since Sitton isn't a well known player, I'm going to be highly skeptical of the pick and I think I have a right to be Skeptical if I want to be. I also judge the pick because I saw the other guys who were available when we picked him, and I think we could have done better. Which is not necessarily an indictment of Sitton, so much as it is a big puzzler why we took him over someone else that has performed against better competition in College.

Whoa there... I just want to see him in camp and then judge whether he is a washout or whatever..

I rememeber when we drafted Tauscher and everyone said he was to slow, lacked the ability to withstand bigger ends, no punch to him and so forth.. here 8 plus seasons later he is a borderline pro bowl player.. not bad for a 7th round reach and waste of a pick.

BTW you have every right to be skeptical or whatnot.. I just want to see the kid play first.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Veretax said:

a good player is a good player no matter who he plays for, and who he plays against. I don't know a darn thing about Sitton, so don't take this as me defending him. What I mean is, most of the players are "big puzzlers" to us, but Thompson and his crew spend a lot of time scouting. If he likes Sitton, I trust him him. Hell, if we targeted players based on which team they played for in college, we wouldn't have Greg Jennings or James Jones... or Brett Favre, for that matter.

Members online

Latest posts