Notes on Our new Coach

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of it was irrational hate that I see here a lot. This one was interesting to me:

McCarthy is in the worst possible position for an OC. He's down to the 4th QB,and no matter how talented Pickett is, he still doesn't know the offense. Our OL is in shambles (once again), Barlow is inconsistent (once again), and our best offensive threat is routinely double teamed (Lloyd).

There were some questionable calls, like not throwing in a PA-Fake during the string of runs, but it doens't really matter. The fact is that Pickett doesn't know the offense, and Smith, the only QB who really does, is out.

To judge McCarthy this season is unfair and insane.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
heres some "notes" (those werent notes, winnipeg, that was hate talk from angry fans) from ESPN:

Regarded league-wide as a very creative offensive mind, McCarthy is also known for his communication skills and ability to develop a quick rapport with his players.
-----

That sounds good to me. CREATIVE on offense. I like that. Not conservative to the point of suicide like rossley and sherman. he sounds like a players type of guy as well. we are all learning about our new coach, so lets keep finding facts about him!

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG, he wasn't even respected as an OC...now he's our HC.. that's AWESOME.

and by awesome I mean "rock bottom". As in, the GB Packer Organization..I feel....so..dirty...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
A lot of it was irrational hate that I see here a lot. This one was interesting to me:

McCarthy is in the worst possible position for an OC. He's down to the 4th QB,and no matter how talented Pickett is, he still doesn't know the offense. Our OL is in shambles (once again), Barlow is inconsistent (once again), and our best offensive threat is routinely double teamed (Lloyd).

There were some questionable calls, like not throwing in a PA-Fake during the string of runs, but it doens't really matter. The fact is that Pickett doesn't know the offense, and Smith, the only QB who really does, is out.

Hummm... Well here is another way of looking at it:

Casey0424 wrote the following over at Packerchatters:

I am confused. When Sherman had a bunch of practice squad players this year that couldn't run the right routes, were learning the plays in the huddle, or couldn't catch a pass unless it was "placed" in their hands, everyone blamed the playcalling, Rosley, and Sherman for our losses.

McCarthy did no better than Sherman in SF, but, you are saying McCarthy couldn't be blamed for that since in his case it was the lack of talent on the team.

So, just to be clear, lack of talent is NOT an acceptable excuse for Sherman, but, it is a valid excuse for McCarthy. This seems just a tad inconsistant.

McCarthy was QB coach in 1999 under Rhodes, and, Favre had his 3rd worst year in his career. Was that a lack of talent too?

Reaction score
Look, TT is no fool. He knows it wasn't a popular decision in league circles to fire MS. He knows that this is his team, and he felt he could do better. He feels McCarthy is obviously better for our future than Sherman was. Is he right?

Time will tell. I am going to give TT the benefit of the doubt. He is an intelligent man, hard working, respected, and a good evaluator of football. He was hired as the GM for a reason. And he hired McCarthy for a reason too.

By no means am I happy about this move. I think it is a stupid move by TT. However, I am nothing more than an avid football fan, who has very little knowledge about the NFL. I hope this move works out. If it does, trust me I will be the first to say I was wrong about McCarthy. Untill it does however, I will say that under the circumstances, TT could have done better.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it wasnt shermans 4-12 season that made me dislike him.

It was his 0 superbowl rings, 0 NFC divisional titles, as well as baffling clock management, playcalling, and useage of timeouts\challenges.

He had 5 years, some of those as GM too, to REALLY help his cause, and couldnt do it. All he did was waste 5 years of brett in what coulda been his prime.

Reaction score
Trom, people over in the 49ers board are saying that his playcalling was too predictable. Sound familiar? That was our complaint with SherRossley. The fact is early indications aren't painting the best of pictures so far.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he had alex smith and ken dorsey. I would close half of my playbook if they were my qb.

here are some more real facts about McCarthy:

Among the quarterbacks with whom McCarthy has worked at the college and pro levels are Joe Montana, Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac, Alex Van Pelt, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Blake, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger and Aaron Brooks.

nice list of qbs. where are ken dorsey and alex smith on that list.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it could all be Kyle Ortons on that list, and Montana. I really like a guy who has been a coach of montana. Now he can add favre to that list hopefully..

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

first off, im not defending McCarthy in any way...his resume looks like **** and i am not at all familiar with his approach to the game or his work ethic. that being said, the man simply cannot be judged on his tenure in SF. the niners season ended before it started, and everybody who paid any attention to football knew that.

yep, i agree with the trom-man...for the most part lol..

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
tromadz said:

first off, im not defending McCarthy in any way...his resume looks like **** and i am not at all familiar with his approach to the game or his work ethic. that being said, the man simply cannot be judged on his tenure in SF. the niners season ended before it started, and everybody who paid any attention to football knew that.

yep, i agree with the trom-man...for the most part lol..

I agree too. I posted this link only for our own knowledge concerning what the fans over there were thinking and even after wading through 4 pages of the comments I still think we should give the man a chance.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
it could all be Kyle Ortons on that list, and Montana. I really like a guy who has been a coach of montana. Now he can add favre to that list hopefully..

He was an assistant of quality control one season while Montana was the QB in Kansas City, but he did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREAT find, Rookie! That article helps, man!

"He's a product of his environment. He's a blue-collar guy. He's got a toughness to him."

"He's probably a little more outwardly personable than Mike Sherman, but he probably has some of the same attributes in terms of toughness and work ethic," Henry said. "He's a very intense guy but he will be a little more outgoing.

"He will smile more and laugh, that sort of thing. I know Mike Sherman and the other side of him. He can be very friendly. Just publicly he's not very friendly. Mike McCarthy has the ability to be personable."

THAT is some good stuff.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Bruce...Mike Sherman WAS NOT fired, IMHO, for the losses with a scrub team this year. He was fired for his inability to control/manage his HOF QB the last several years....oh, and for his propensity to give games away with Mr. Conservo gameplans and poor game management.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what Donald Driver said. "I think that's going to be big in getting Brett to come back," running back Tony Fisher said of McCarthy's prior relationship with Favre. "We need him. I'd hate to see Brett go out on a year like we just had. That could be really, really big."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

By-the-book McCarthy takes Packers' reins
BY BOB MCGINN
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

GREEN BAY, Wis. - The slick, pretentious trappings that surround some head coaches in the National Football League don't apply to the new coach of the Green Bay Packers.

The son of a fireman/barkeep in Pittsburgh, Mike McCarthy exudes the Rust Belt characteristics of the old-fashioned football coach that apparently led general manager Ted Thompson to hire him Wednesday.

"No, no, no, no, there is no finesse to him at all," said Jack Henry, who as offensive line coach for the New Orleans Saints worked alongside McCarthy when he served as the club's offensive coordinator from 2000-`04. "He's a product of his environment. He's a blue-collar guy. He's got a toughness to him."

Fans here will hardly remember McCarthy as the team's quarterbacks coach in 1999 under coach Ray Rhodes. Even general manager Ron Wolf admitted that he didn't know him well.

"But I know he was a no (expletive) kind of guy," Wolf said. "Very, very thorough in his (pre-draft) evaluations. He was impressive in his preparation and how he got everything together."

The 42-year-old McCarthy replaces Mike Sherman, the Massachusetts native who was fired last week.

"He's probably a little more outwardly personable than Mike Sherman, but he probably has some of the same attributes in terms of toughness and work ethic," Henry said. "He's a very intense guy but he will be a little more outgoing.

"He will smile more and laugh, that sort of thing. I know Mike Sherman and the other side of him. He can be very friendly. Just publicly he's not very friendly. Mike McCarthy has the ability to be personable."

Offensive coordinator Sherman Lewis, now retired and living in the Detroit area, remembered when he and Rhodes interviewed McCarthy in February 1999. They had several other candidates but hired McCarthy on the strength of his presentation.

"I'm happy for him and I think he'll do a fine job," Lewis said. "I have to say I'm surprised that he's a head coach at this stage. You haven't heard that much about him. But you know how that is. You never know who's going to get those jobs."

Another of Rhodes' hires was Larry Beightol, who ended up staying seven seasons as offensive line coach.

"He's just a good, solid, down-to-earth guy," Beightol said. "It was a long shot, but he must have impressed. This is an opportunity of a lifetime for him."

After five seasons as offensive coordinator in New Orleans under coach Jim Haslett, McCarthy and the club basically agreed to part company. On Jan. 27, he was hired by San Francisco coach Mike Nolan as offensive coordinator.

"My belief was he felt he needed to expand his horizons a little bit more and to maybe get an opportunity like he got tonight," Henry said. "He was right."

After graduating from Bishop Boyle High School in Homestead, Pa., McCarthy played tight end at three small colleges: Salem (W.Va.) University, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College and Baker University in Baldwin City, Kan.

He got into coaching in 1987, working with linebackers for two years at Fort Hays State in Kansas. It was at Fort Hays that he earned a master's degree in sports administration.

McCarthy got a break in 1989 when Paul Hackett hired him to coach quarterbacks at the University of Pittsburgh. He stayed four seasons before Marty Schottenheimer brought Hackett and him to Kansas City in 1993. In two seasons as the Chiefs' quality control coach, McCarthy was around Joe Montana. Later, he served as quarterbacks coach, working with Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac and Rich Gannon.

"He's earned his way up," Henry said. "He's done all the dirty jobs. He started off as Paul Hackett's `Hey, boy' basically. He's lived in the house behind the head coach's house."

McCarthy's father is a retired fireman who later owned a tavern. His parents attended games in New Orleans.

"Mike used to work in a bar," Henry said. "He's from a tough section of Pittsburgh. Bloomfield. Blue-collar all the way. He comes from good stock."

McCarthy learned the West Coast offense from Hackett, helped coach it in Green Bay and then installed it in New Orleans. In chronological order from 2000-`04, the Saints ranked 10th, 10th, 19th, 11th and 15th in yards and 10th, 13th, third, 14th and 14th in points.

"Very intense, very intelligent and enthusiastic," Henry said. "He has the ability to analyze situations and to figure out how to attack them. He kind of talks like a Pittsburgh (expletive) but he's a very, very bright guy. His written and sometimes spoken word belies his native intelligence."

At times, McCarthy will get in the face of players and admonish entire position groups.

"He's got a pretty good temper on him," Henry said. "He will fly off the handle on occasion. He's not afraid to get after the offense or, in this case, the team.

"He will get emotional because of the temper part of it. He's got a healthy emotion about him. I don't really know how he'll respond on the sideline as a head coach. As the offensive coordinator on the sideline, he was very calm and very matter of fact about choosing the next series of plays."

Under Haslett, McCarthy called all the plays.

"I think he's an outstanding play-caller," Henry said. "He's a guy that knows when to pull the trigger. When Mike calls the trick play or the deep ball, he's got a great feel for that. He was an on-the-field play-caller. That is also indicative of a guy who has a feel for calling a game by the flow of the game."

His version of the West Coast, according to Henry, contains a ground game similar to what the Packers employed under Sherman and a pure West Coast passing game.

"He does a lot of different things in terms of changing up the look of what he does," Henry said. "His running game is more power-oriented. It's more in line with what Kansas City was when he was there. It's not Martyball, but it's more along those lines."

McCarthy's terminology for naming plays requires extensive memorization, which has been standard for the Packers since 1992.

"If Brett (Favre) is the guy, and I certainly think he would attempt to get him to be the guy again, Brett won't have a problem with it," Henry said.

On Dec. 27, McCarthy said this about Favre: "It looks like he's kept himself in great shape. He still looks like he could play another four, five years. He's still got a lot of bounce in his legs."

McCarthy directed the NFL's poorest offense this season in San Francisco, where four starting quarterbacks compiled a passer rating of 53.6. One of them, Alex Smith, was the first pick in the draft after McCarthy rated him above Aaron Rodgers.

"(Rodgers) definitely has a chance," McCarthy said in November. "He has ability. But I always have a problem with guys who have not played a lot. You worry whether they're one-year wonders.

"I thought he was a real good football player. I think he went where he was supposed to go. I think it was a good pick for them. We just didn't look at him as the first pick. We're happy with the guy we drafted."

According to Lewis, the main reason that the Packers drafted Aaron Brooks in the fourth round in 1999 was McCarthy's recommendation. Brooks had a solid career under him before regressing badly in `05 under new coordinator Mike Sheppard.

"To be honest with you, I don't want to say there was a falling-out, but it was more on Aaron's side than on Mike's," Henry said. "If you look at Jake Delhomme, for example, he still speaks to how much football he learned from Mike McCarthy. I think Aaron got overloaded with things. I don't know that for a fact."

Concluded Henry: "Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. One never knows. You just keep pounding away in this business. You never know."

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bavpb said:
Finally there is some hope that Brett the Favrelous will return, because this is a coach, I think he can live with.
Here are two articles, one related.
Mercury News

This is EXACTLY the reason we are currently the laughing stock of the NFL. To hire a coach based on Brett Favre is the most ridiculous reason imaginable. Don't get me wrong, I want Favre back and hope he plays a long time, but the reality is that he probably won't. If we're extremely lucky, we'll get 2 more years out of Favre. If that's the reason we hired McCarthy, we have one of the stupidest GM's in the history of the NFL. The funny thing is that up until now it seemed like TT was doing what he thought was best for the Packers - and now he hires a guy "that will work well with Favre"?? The more I think about it, the more I sincerely doubt it was even one of the reasons.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I am reading these articles correctly, McCarthy might be good for both Brett and Aaron.Is anyone else getting that or is it just me ? I am still not sure.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sick of this.."Favre has to be held accountable crap..."

Get a damn good team around him (especially at the receiving position), call some good plays, and Favre will be Favre....

(The Packers sucked last year...that's why Favre had the stats he did...)

-end of story.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I'm sick of this.."Favre has to be held accountable crap..."

Get a damn good team around him (especially at the receiving position), call some good plays, and Favre will be Favre....

(The Packers sucked last year...that's why Favre had the stats he did...)

-end of story.

Could not have said this any better. :wink:

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:

Hey Bruce I like this from you,,,, you have a very good memory about how most of us us to held Sherman accountable for a lot of issues and you know how to use it to began an argument,,,,,,I also like you being the positive guy.... BUT I have to help Trom a little bit I think that 4-12 was the cherry on top of the cake that forced TT to fire Sherman....not the main reason,,, on the other hand McCarthy´s resume its not impresive at all..I gave Sherman the benefit of the doubt for 4 seasons, anyway I am not willing to give this new guy 4 seasons, but I think we have to live with the issue that he is here now and we need to give him that benefit AT least for ONE season, then judge him..

Hummm... Well here is another way of looking at it:

Casey0424 wrote the following over at Packerchatters:

I am confused. When Sherman had a bunch of practice squad players this year that couldn't run the right routes, were learning the plays in the huddle, or couldn't catch a pass unless it was "placed" in their hands, everyone blamed the playcalling, Rosley, and Sherman for our losses.

McCarthy did no better than Sherman in SF, but, you are saying McCarthy couldn't be blamed for that since in his case it was the lack of talent on the team.

So, just to be clear, lack of talent is NOT an acceptable excuse for Sherman, but, it is a valid excuse for McCarthy. This seems just a tad inconsistant.

McCarthy was QB coach in 1999 under Rhodes, and, Favre had his 3rd worst year in his career. Was that a lack of talent too?

Members online

Latest posts