Notes: No talks expected on 'KGB'

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB MCGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Feb. 23, 2008

But one meeting that hasn't taken place and apparently won't be scheduled would involve the Green Bay Packers and the representative for defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Agent Bruce Tollner, who has represented Gbaja-Biamila since before he signed a seven-year, $37.3 million contract in April 2003, said Saturday at the combine that he has not heard from the Packers and has no reason to expect that he would.

"The Packers have not asked us to take a reduction and I have not visited with them about it," Tollner said. "They have a great front office that probably evaluates this type of decision every year with all high-paid guys."

The Packers will commence the 2008 league year late next week with Gbaja-Biamila right behind Brett Favre on their salary scale.

Favre will count $12.8 million against the team's salary cap, with "KGB" next at $7.721 million.

In terms of base salary, Favre leads the way at $12 million and "KGB" is next at $6.15 million.

If the Packers were to seek a pay cut from Gbaja-Biamila and he refused, they then would either have to waive him or risk having an alienated player on their roster.

What are the chances that Gbaja-Biamila could at least equal the $6.15 million in some form of compensation as a "street" free agent from another team?

Probably better than one might think.

Last season, the 30-year-old Gbaja-Biamila ranked second on the team in sacks (11), knockdowns (11) and hurries (16). That gave him a total of 38 "pressures," which based on his 500 snaps in 17 games gave him a career-best mark of one "pressure" for every 13.2 snaps. Aaron Kampman was next with one "pressure" for every 17.2 snaps.

Gbaja-Biamila's fourth-quarter pass rush was a major factor in several close victories in the first half of the season. He was less disruptive after suffering an ankle injury in Week 11.

In all, "KGB" played 41.8% of the defensive snaps, his lowest figure since 2001 but probably best suited for a player his size.

At this point, the Packers don't have another up-field rusher to replace Gbaja-Biamila, whose base salary will increase to $7.3 million in the final year of his contract in 2009.

"I know Kabeer loves Green Bay and would like to finish his career there," Tollner said.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really think you can ask KGB to take a paycut at this point. He proved he can be quite effective in his reduced roll.

If anything, you probably try to sign him to an extension to make his current contract more cap friendly, but even despite his high salary, we can easily afford it considering the 25 million cap figure (before cutting Bubba and franchising Corey Williams) took his contract into account.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB is victim of Mike Sherman. KGB also benefitted from Mike Shermans idiocy. He was over paid in the prime of his career and now that he's toward the end, he's way over paid. For someone to say you can't ask KGB to take a pay cut, I'd say, why not? He has never played up to his contract. I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm saying you don't pay a third down guy that kind of money. Sherman paid him and then tried to make him into an every down player, but he'd get killed on the run because he's too light to play that way. For right money I'd keep him, but he's not an elite player and never was.

Reaction score
KGB is victim of Mike Sherman. KGB also benefitted from Mike Shermans idiocy. He was over paid in the prime of his career and now that he's toward the end, he's way over paid.

Technically, wouldn't it be more appropriate to say KGB is the victim of Andrew Brandt's stupidity? Since, you know, Brandt was our negotiator and responsible for negotiating contacts.

It isn't as if Brandt hasn't done bad deals under Thompson's era, Bubba Franks' deal comes to mind. You wouldn't say "Franks large contract was the result of Thompson's stupidity" would you?

Perhaps KGB's contract was meant to be only 5 years in length, with high base salaries the last two years allowing the Packers to actually save money by cutting KGB (similar to what they did this year with Franks).

Perhaps things changed, and the Packers decided they'd be better off with KGB and kept him.

Either way, for you to blame Sherman is kind of jumping the gun IMO. He had a bad record as GM, but Andrew Brandt was the lead contract guy, and not Sherman. Just throwing that out there...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
KGB is victim of Mike Sherman. KGB also benefitted from Mike Shermans idiocy. He was over paid in the prime of his career and now that he's toward the end, he's way over paid.

Technically, wouldn't it be more appropriate to say KGB is the victim of Andrew Brandt's stupidity? Since, you know, Brandt was our negotiator and responsible for negotiating contacts.

It isn't as if Brandt hasn't done bad deals under Thompson's era, Bubba Franks' deal comes to mind. You wouldn't say "Franks large contract was the result of Thompson's stupidity" would you?

Perhaps KGB's contract was meant to be only 5 years in length, with high base salaries the last two years allowing the Packers to actually save money by cutting KGB (similar to what they did this year with Franks).

Perhaps things changed, and the Packers decided they'd be better off with KGB and kept him.

Either way, for you to blame Sherman is kind of jumping the gun IMO. He had a bad record as GM, but Andrew Brandt was the lead contract guy, and not Sherman. Just throwing that out there...

I'm pretty sure the GM has the final say though and at the time Sherman was the GM. Plus the Packers I believe had to match a contract Philadelphia offered unless I'm mistaken. So at the time it might not of been a bad move.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really think you can ask KGB to take a paycut at this point. He proved he can be quite effective in his reduced roll.

Then he should have a reduced paycheck.

Seriously, KGB is very good in his situational role, but holy moly, LOOK AT HIS CONTRACT! It's the definition of OVERPAID.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the GM has the final say though and at the time Sherman was the GM. Plus the Packers I believe had to match a contract Philadelphia offered unless I'm mistaken. So at the time it might not of been a bad move.

Fair enough porky, in light of the Packers matching the Eagles' offer you can't really blame it all on Sherman.

Perhaps the deal was structured in essence to void the last two years, and it just so happened (for what ever reason) that Ted decided it'd be best for the Packers to not void the final two years right now.

Either way, it's kinda nice to be in a position to keep a player with a high cap charge, and not really have an repercussions from doing so. Yay Ted!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB is a character guy. He's a good man. The Packers did have to match the Philadelphia offer to keep him. The bottom line is that money they paid him was way more than he should have gotten. Sherman was the GM at the time and would have had to approve that contract.

Franks also signed a big contract but at that time he was at least a two-time all pro. He certainly isn't playing up to his contract.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think KGB is about as valuable to the Packers as Corey Williams, and they just franchised Williams for over $6 million. Also think of the Giants recently signing Justin Tuck to a big contract. He is not a starter, he is a situational pass rusher, like KGB.

Eleven sacks in one season is a BIG DEAL, people. Not to mention that KGB has been a very good pass rusher for quite a few years now, and holds the Packer career record in sacks. I have no doubt that a number of teams would love to take him off our hands.

If he's overpaid, it's not by a whole lot, and the Packers can afford to keep him. Let the good times roll.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think KGB is about as valuable to the Packers as Corey Williams, and they just franchised Williams for over $6 million. Also think of the Giants recently signing Justin Tuck to a big contract. He is not a starter, he is a situational pass rusher, like KGB.

Eleven sacks in one season is a BIG DEAL, people. Not to mention that KGB has been a very good pass rusher for quite a few years now, and holds the Packer career record in sacks. I have no doubt that a number of teams would love to take him off our hands.

If he's overpaid, it's not by a whole lot, and the Packers can afford to keep him. Let the good times roll.
I agree Greg.
It's another "You don't know waht you have, till he's gone" situation.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Well put. He's been very effective in a reduced role. The tandem of KGB and Kampman is something that a lot of teams wish they had.

KGB's a good guy to have in a locker room and if he gets released or traded, that'll be a big hole to fill.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I couldn't agree more. KGB gets results. Let's keep him. It's not like we're hurting for money.

Members online

Latest posts