Notes: Jenkins yet to receive offer

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notes: Jenkins yet to receive offer
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Dec. 29, 2006
Green Bay - Defensive end Cullen Jenkins, the most attractive player on the Green Bay Packers' free-agent lists, said Friday that he had received no offer from the club on a new contract.

Jenkins, 25, has been a revelation since assuming the right end job from Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila early in Week 13. His one-year contract, which includes a minimum base salary of $425,000, is expiring. If unsigned, he would become a restricted free agent in March.

"I would like to stay here but it really doesn't matter to me," Jenkins said. "Me and my wife talked about that a few weeks ago. We've got our child in school and we own a duplex."

If Jenkins makes it to restricted free agency, the Packers would give him one of three tenders.

The low tender, which figures to be worth about $750,000, would give the team the right to match an offer but receive no draft-choice compensation if Jenkins, an original free agent, was let go.

The middle tender (about $1.7 million) would give the Packers a first-round pick if they elected not to match.

The high tender (about $2.2 million) would give the Packers first- and third-round picks, effectively keeping Jenkins off the market.

"I'll tell you this," an executive in personnel for a National Football League team said this week. "I'll give up a first for him. He's their best DT and one of the better defensive linemen in the division."

Said another scout: "He gets better every year. He's close to an elite player."

Jenkins suffered an ankle injury in Week 5, missed two games and averaged just 21.6 snaps from Weeks 8-12. He has averaged 38 snaps in the last three games.

Pink of health: When coach Mike McCarthy decides his 45-man active roster Sunday night in Chicago, he will have all 53 players available.

Wide receiver Donald Driver (shoulder) missed a fourth straight day of practice but McCarthy said he expected Driver to be fine.

Center Scott Wells (shoulder) was withheld from practice and added to the injury list as probable. However, McCarthy said Wells would be fine.

Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, who suffered what he called a slight foot sprain Thursday, returned to practice and said he was fine.

In Chicago, cornerback Charles Tillman (back) missed another day and isn't expected to play. If, as expected, fullback Jason McKie (ankle) is out, it would leave Bears coach Lovie Smith with 51 available players.

The Packers will enter the finale with all 22 of their preferred starters in the lineup. Besides Tillman and McKie, the Bears won't have defensive tackle Tommie Harris or safety Mike Brown.

"It's the first time I've ever seen all starters play in the last game since I've been in the league," said Pickett, a six-year veteran. "That's unheard of. We're very blessed to have that situation."

Fortunately for the Packers, almost all their major injuries were suffered by backups. They have 12 backup players on injured reserve.

The total games missed by starters in Green Bay this season is 14, including just one on defense.

"I think any time you can stay healthy you have to cash in," tackle Mark Tauscher said. "We've been fortunate, for the most part, that everybody has stayed healthy. And that has been a key factor in not only this finish but, with the exception of two or three dog games, why we've been in the hunt in all of them."

A year ago, 11 Packers starters missed a total of 66 starts. The numbers were far more manageable in 2003 and '04, but in '02 they had a total of 68 missed starts.

What impact, if any, McCarthy's decision to change strength coaches from Barry Rubin to Rock Gullickson had on reducing injuries is almost impossible to determine.

"Rock has come in and done a good job but I thought Barry Rubin and his staff did an exceptional job," Tauscher said. "There's 100 different ways to skin a cat. A lot of injuries, especially the major injuries, are pure luck."

Watchful waiting: Some Packers fans might be screaming madly for Washington to defeat the New York Giants tonight because it would enhance Green Bay's playoff chances, but McCarthy won't be one of them.

"I really don't want to be bouncing off the walls cheering for the Giants," McCarthy said. "I may check in on the score but I won't sit there and watch it."

As for the game, McCarthy said, "It feels like an eternity since we've played. Frankly, any time you play the Bears, there's extra emotion that goes into that game. I definitely anticipate our guys being ready to play regardless of what the situation is come Sunday night."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheering for the giants (to lose)

whenever I read player\coach quotes, I swear they dont say the last 3 or 4 words that would make a complete thought and the reporters kindly do it for them. I think this might be one of those situations.

Or maybe he wants the giants to win cuz he hates the packers and brett favre, and thats why TT got him, cuz he also hates favre and the packers and...ill leave those conspiracy theories to the idiots.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jenkins has done a nice job, but those unidentified GM's that talk stupid about giving up a first round draft choice are lying through their teeth. If someone offered Thompson a first round draft choice for Jenkins, you can bet he'd take it.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big deal about all of this was that December 30 at 4pm was the last day to sign people so it would count on 2006 salary cap. Jenkins is a good player and he is going to be back in green and gold or atleast i hope so.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a mistake to let Jenkins slip away. I hope we resign him.

Even if a team would give up round 1 compensation for middle tender?? OR even round 1 and round 3 compensation for high tender?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Even if a team would give up round 1 compensation for middle tender?? OR even round 1 and round 3 compensation for high tender?

Nobody will give that for Jenkins though. So it's either keep him or let him walk and I agree. We need to keep him. He's really proven he deserves a shot to compete next year for the starting DE spot opposite of Kampman.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we yet Jenkins walk I would shot myself ( IN the foot) that would be the dumbest thing ever. As it says in my sig he is the second leading sacker on our team and he missed some games due to injury.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

I doubt we would get a 1st round for Jenkins.

I want to keep him because he seems to play hard every down and he's got 7 sacks with very limited time. Moving him to DE seemed to change the vitality of the DL. He's been solid as a starter, and he's young.

But for a 1st rounder? Tough call. Jenkins may improve even more. A rookie we'll have to develop all over again. I want to win now.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not getting a 1st rounder for Jenkins.

We have about $28+ million in cap space for next season, so I doubt TT is worried about spending the remainder of this year's cap space. We'll likely sign a number of our current FAs, Jenkins included. He's a good player and who did well at a position of need: DE. I believe he will be looking at a nice raise with his new contract.

The players that need to worry about their roster spots are Franks and KGB. Neither one produced according to the contracts they are getting. It will be interesting to see how those situations play out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts