Notes: Collins' status unclear

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN and GREG A. BEDARD
[email protected]
Posted: Oct. 3, 2007

Green Bay - If safety Nick Collins' bruised knee continues to bother him, Green Bay Packers rookie Aaron Rouse stands a good chance of making his first National Football League start Sunday.

Collins took part in only a limited portion of practice Wednesday and wasn't on the field during the time reporters were allowed to watch the workout. Injured Sunday while tackling Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson, Collins said it was too early to tell whether he would be able to play against Chicago.

"It's just a bruise," Collins said. "We're going to let the doctors decide. If they tell me not to go, get some rest, that's what I'm going to go. If they give me the opportunity to play, I'm going to play."

Two weeks ago, it was a long shot that Rouse would be active anytime soon given he had been out since Aug. 26 with a hamstring injury and hadn't been able to take part in full participation in a practice until the Friday before the San Diego game. He was inactive for the first three games.

Then, against the Vikings, he was not only active, he was elevated to the top backup at both safety positions. He wound up filling in for both Collins and Atari Bigby, who were forced out of action for a limited time because of injury.

"It felt good," Rouse, a third-round pick, said of his first NFL action. "I just had to be ready if something happened like Nick going down. I just had to be ready to go in at the drop of a dime. I went in there and I felt we never lost a step."

Rouse played only eight snaps, so it's hard to tell how he would do over an extended chance, but coach Mike McCarthy said he thought Rouse forced quarterback Kelly Holcomb to throw the ball into the ground on one play for fear of throwing an interception.

"It looked like he saw Aaron at the last second," McCarthy said. "Aaron had a chance to intercept that ball."

The Packers think the 6-foot-4, 223-pound Rouse can help them a lot on special teams, which is one of the reasons he was active Sunday. But he did not show the same aggressiveness that he had in practice, which was a disappointment for McCarthy. The coach said he thought Rouse probably needed to get acclimated to the speed of the game after being out so long.

"We look for him to be a potential matchup advantage for us on special teams," McCarthy said.

As for starting against the Bears, Rouse said he would be ready if called upon.

"I'm the type of the guy that loves a big play; I have a big appetite," Rouse said. "So when it's my time to go in there and get the job done, I'm going to do it. I'm always ready and I practice like I'm a starter already."

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We really should rest Collins. For one, I'd like to see Rouse with some game time. For another, I want to see Collins 100% for the Playoffs. (Did I just say that?)

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i kinda would be a bit concerned having bigby and rouse back there as they are both pretty inexperienced.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would be as good an opportunity as any for Rouse to get his first start. The Bears passing game is pretty weak. But hopefully Collins will be okay. It's still a little early for Rouse to get thrown in there for an entire game.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just got the good news that Archuleta is PROBABLE for the Bears Sunday.

Whew! I was worried they might replace him with somebody that actually guards people and occasionaly hits somebody.

Brigg's and Tillman are doubtful. On a more serious note that is good for us.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just got the good news that Archuleta is PROBABLE for the Bears Sunday.

Whew! I was worried they might replace him with somebody that actually guards people and occasionaly hits somebody.

:lol:

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a VERY green secondary. Bigby has outplayed Collins this year. Maybe if Rouse plays well on Sunday he could supplant Collins in the line up.

I love Collins, but I really thought he would be one of our best defenders this year. He's been average so far.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Collins can play then he should start. It's to early to be thinking about the playoffs. They need Collins on the field. He is the most experience safety on the team and it'd be wise to play him if he's able to go. I want to see Rouse play but this in my opinion is a huge game.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't play Collins. Rest him.

Cheesey could play safety against that horrible bears offense and get 3 picks. There is NO REASON to push Collins.

Let the kid get a little taste of starting in the NFL against the worst offense in the league while the vet rests.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I don't really agree with that. The bears arent great, but we need to stop underestimating them. If the Doctor's say Colin's can go, let him go but pull him asap. As soon as we get a 2 score lead or so (pending that happens), pull him and put Rouse in.

Colin's hasn't been great, but he has been solid. We need him.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really agree with that. The bears arent great, but we need to stop underestimating them. If the Doctor's say Colin's can go, let him go but pull him asap. As soon as we get a 2 score lead or so (pending that happens), pull him and put Rouse in.

Colin's hasn't been great, but he has been solid. We need him.

I agree with you dodd that we need Collins in there, but we're fans here. If we underestimate them, so what? I guarantee MM won't be. I guarantee the Packers players won't either.

That said, I can't believe that GB is actually playing against a bunch of pop-warner kids this Sunday Night. I don't know if John Madden has the vocal stamina to drop all of the "BOOM!" sound effects that will be required for Nick Collins laying wood all night and getting his 3 picks on Brian Greise.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really agree with that. The bears arent great, but we need to stop underestimating them.

We need him.

You are overestimating them bigtime.

We definitely do NOT 'need' collins for this game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts