Notebook: Pickett, Driver will be back soon

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Tom Pelissero
[email protected]

Two of the Green Bay Packers' most notable training-camp absences could end in the next day or two.

Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett on Monday passed the conditioning test he failed last week, and receiver Donald Driver's injured shoulder apparently passed a re-examination Sunday night. Coach Mike McCarthy said he hoped Driver and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly would practice today, with Pickett joining them by Thursday.

Pickett and Jolly have missed four training camp practices since failing a team-conducted running test Friday. They took the same test together Monday and passed, Pickett said.

With flying colors?

"If you can call it flying colors," Pickett said, laughing.

"I made my time, but … any pass is good."

Driver, a surprise scratch because of a lingering right shoulder injury sustained in December, was coy when asked about his latest examination but said he believed he passed the physical.

"Y'all see me out there at 8:45 (a.m.)," Driver said, smiling, "y'all know I'm ready to go."

Wynn fights illness

One moment, running backs coach Edgar Bennett was praising rookie DeShawn Wynn for his work on the blocking sled.

The next, Wynn was lying on his back, stretching and chugging a sports drink as teammates jogged to the next drill.

Such has been camp for Wynn, a seventh-round draft pick who entered the NFL amid questions about his durability and dedication. He missed time in the offseason after sustaining a calf injury in the first practice of rookie minicamp, then reported last week with a stomach illness and has been in and out of drills the past three days.

Monday, Wynn said he lost 10 pounds because of the illness and is struggling with dehydration.

"I'm trying to fight through it," Wynn said, "but I got to try to start eating more, start drinking more and get that weight back."

With starter Vernand Morency likely sidelined at least two weeks because of a knee injury, Wynn's ailment is costing him an opportunity for increased repetitions.

"Anybody that's not practicing is not helping themselves. I think we all know that," McCarthy said.

"He has an illness that he's trying to overcome, and he needs to get back as fast as he can."

After an impressive showing in Brett Favre's absence Sunday morning, backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers was less effective Monday.

He finished 10-for-21 passing in 11-on-11 periods, was intercepted by Charles Woodson on the first play of the blitz period and ended practice by missing badly on a throw to Chris Francies near the goal line.

"I thought he pushed the ball a few times," McCarthy said. "He was a little aggressive with his decisions. But I think Aaron as a whole is throwing the ball very well. He's throwing the ball where he wants to throw it.

"The timing with Aaron and all the young receivers, and Brett will go through the same thing when he gets back, we're going to be a little off. That's why we have training camp."

Odds and ends

Team personnel will transfer equipment from Clarke Hinkle Field to City Stadium in the early afternoon, and Packers players will travel in four buses and arrive shortly before the scheduled 6:30 start for tonight's practice. Temporary seating has been added in the west end zone to push seating to around 4,000, according to the team. … The Packers went through a nearly complete practice Monday despite temperatures around 90 degrees. McCarthy said he trimmed six to eight plays from the final goal-line period after Daniel Muir left with an ankle injury and another defensive tackle dropped out because of the heat. … RB Noah Herron dropped two passes, but McCarthy made a point to praise Herron for his improvement over the last year.

"Anybody that's not practicing is not helping themselves. I think we all know that," McCarthy said.
It's comments like this that makem e like Mike more and more. Also, the comment about Vernand's injury was good too!

I'm liking Mike more and more, and liking Ted less and less. lol

Reaction score
lol, Yeah with McCarthy you feel like he tells you what you want to know, and he beats around the bush and gets to the main point.

I think in the large picture of things, that is a trait that makes good coaches also.

I admire Wynn's toughness. He's still trying to practice despite being ill and weak.

The part that got me giddy was where it talked about Rodgers being more aggressive. Lately, almost everyone has something good to say about Rodgers. Gives me some hope he is the best man to become QB after Brett hangs 'em up.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
lol, Yeah with McCarthy you feel like he tells you what you want to know, and he beats around the bush and gets to the main point.

I think in the large picture of things, that is a trait that makes good coaches also.

I admire Wynn's toughness. He's still trying to practice despite being ill and weak.

The part that got me giddy was where it talked about Rodgers being more aggressive. Lately, almost everyone has something good to say about Rodgers. Gives me some hope he is the best man to become QB after Brett hangs 'em up.

I feel differently. I don't think he tells you what you want to hear, I think he tells you how it is and I also have to disagree with that he beats around the bush, I would have to say he pretty much gives it straight forward.

That's what I admire about him.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Or are they just pumping up his fragile ego? J/K :)

IMO, TC & pre-season to me don't test the fabric of a good QB, once the live bullets come flying we shall see. Last year he looked like a "deer in the headlights", so here is to another here of growth. :cross:

Reaction score
I feel differently. I don't think he tells you what you want to hear, I think he tells you how it is and I also have to disagree with that he beats around the bush, I would have to say he pretty much gives it straight forward.

That's what I'm saying too.

With Ted, you ask him a question and then you get the vague replies starting with "I don't know, ..." and at times he doesn't go into any real answer (see McGinn interview).

With McCarthy, you ask a question, and he gives you the answer to what you want to know.

I think the best example is questions presented to both individuals after the start of TC about James Jones (I'm paraphrasing):

Q: How is James Jones coming along?
TT: Well we obviously liked him, and think he can contribute to our team. We liked his overall game.... etc.

Same question to McCarthy.
MM: He's coming along nicely... comparable to Jennings last year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes they can be secretive about it too

Q: How long is Favre out for?
TT: --takes out mind eraser from MIB movies and flashes it in your eyes -- "You don't want to interview any more of the packers players or personnel. You want to be an insurance salesman in Tulsa."

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes they can be secretive about it too

Q: How long is Favre out for?
TT: --takes out mind eraser from MIB movies and flashes it in your eyes -- "You don't want to interview any more of the packers players or personnel. You want to be an insurance salesman in Tulsa."

*blinking* ..hmm. That's funny, I suddenly have no more desire to find updates on Packer TC. However, i think everyone could use more insurance.

Man, Oklahoma sure would be a nice place to work.......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts