Notebook: Manuel insists he's not rusty

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Communication needs work, new starting safety says

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

One of the downsides of Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy's cautious approach with injured players was exposed in Sunday's loss to the Chicago Bears.

Safety Marquand Manuel was held out of most of the Packers' offseason practices while recovering from a groin injury sustained in the Super Bowl while playing for the Seattle Seahawks and then missed half the preseason while recovering from a calf injury.

Manuel's lack of practice time and preseason action with his new team may have contributed to the communication breakdown with cornerback Al Harris that led to Bernard Berrian's 49-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter.

"I'm not using that as an excuse, but it comes down to him trusting me and me trusting him," Manuel said Monday. "Physically, I'm fine. It was great to get back out there, and I think I was better in the second half than I was in the first.

"The bigger thing is trusting each other across the board. That's what I had all training camp last year (in Seattle). Guys knew when I said the play was coming, they knew it was coming. Not that they don't trust me here, but it takes time for them to realize that this guy knows what he's talking about."

In defensive coordinator Bob Sanders' scheme, it's largely the safeties' responsibility to call the defensive assignments.

There were multiple problems on Berrian's touchdown, which came against quarter-zone coverage. Manuel bit on quarterback Rex Grossman's play fake, and Harris was out of position against Berrian.

"Al's supposed to be on (Berrian's) upfield shoulder," McCarthy said. "There was too much separation between the two guys, and (Berrian) was able to split it."

Manuel looked shaky in his preseason debut against Cincinnati on Aug. 28, but the Packers' coaches said they generally were pleased with his play against the Bears.

"I think he had a decent, solid game," Sanders said. "He was in position most of the time. He tackled well. He was physical and made a tackle for a loss."

The Packers gave Manuel a $2 million signing bonus because they thought he would be an upgrade over Mark Roman, the starter in 2004 and 2005.

Roman was released during training camp.

Injury report: Starting left guard Jason Spitz sustained a thigh contusion against the Bears, McCarthy said, but the extent of the injury was not known.

Spitz finished Sunday's game. He was not available for comment on Monday.

If Spitz is unable to play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints, the Packers likely would start another rookie, Daryn Colledge.

McCarthy said that was the only injury to come out of Sunday's game.

Sneak problems: Starting right guard Tony Moll said he missed a block on Brett Favre's failed quarterback sneak on fourth-and-1 in the second quarter.

"I was a little too wide," Moll said. "I've never had to do that before. Now I know. Next time we get in that situation, I assure you I'll be in the right place."

Moll's mistake allowed the Bears defensive front to get penetration. Defensive end Adewale Ogunleye stopped Favre for no gain.

McCarthy defended his decision to call a quarterback sneak even though it wasn't a play the Packers practiced during training camp.

"I'd think with our quarterback, it's not something we need to practice a whole lot for his number of reps in his career," McCarthy said. "It's just another form of a combination block. I disagree we don't practice that. We're a zone team, so combination blocks, we do that every single day."

Odds and ends: McCarthy said he wasn't concerned that his team would lose confidence after Sunday's 26-0 loss to the Bears.

"My experience with young players, I think they're the ones that are so resilient because they're so eager," he said.

"I think the older players, it's a wake-up call for them."

- Fullback William Henderson said he would practice again Wednesday but didn't know whether the coaching staff would use him against the Saints.

Henderson had cartilage removed from his right knee on Aug. 21 and practiced on a limited basis last week.

- Rookie cornerback Will Blackmon still has some soreness in his right foot, McCarthy said.

Blackmon broke the foot on May 21 and missed all of training camp, but returned to practice on a limited basis last week.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think he had a decent, solid game," Sanders said. "He was in position most of the time. He tackled well. He was physical and made a tackle for a loss."

wtf is that ? Sanders trying to sugar coat his poor play I guess.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
"The bigger thing is trusting each other across the board. That's what I had all training camp last year (in Seattle). Guys knew when I said the play was coming, they knew it was coming. Not that they don't trust me here, but it takes time for them to realize that this guy knows what he's talking about."

So -- the new guy who started last year as a back-up in Seattle knows what he is talking about and not the 9 year veteran who everyone thought deserved the Pro Bowl last year?? Isn't that just a little arrogant?? If he KNEW "the play was coming" why was he telling someone else to cover it? Oh, that's right? That would be pass coverage and he could get embarrassed if he tried that. :roll:

Reaction score
IMO, I am not the GM though, why would we need another "leader" backthere when we had Harris? Is it just me or would Harris be someone who should be in charge of the playcalling, and someone who is equipped to guess at what play the other team would be running.

Why bring in another "leader/coach" to the team then?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will get better they all were a little rusty I mean it is the FIRST game...things should get better.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With what these guys get paid, they should know the playbook forwards and backwards. There's NO excuse for not knowing your job.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it matters how well Manuel knows the defense seeing as my 40 is probably better than his.

Culver29

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Culver all the way baby!

Culver spent 2 years with Berrian at FS...maybe he wouldn't have got burned so badly. Ah well, I'm bias...but heck, putting in Culver certainly couldn't hurt any worse. I'd give Manuel another shot, but if he keeps gaming like this I don't see why they wouldn't get Culver experience. At least it'd get him really ready for next year.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Culver29 said:
Culver all the way baby!

Culver spent 2 years with Berrian at FS...maybe he wouldn't have got burned so badly. Ah well, I'm bias...but heck, putting in Culver certainly couldn't hurt any worse. I'd give Manuel another shot, but if he keeps gaming like this I don't see why they wouldn't get Culver experience. At least it'd get him really ready for next year.

Good points!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts