Notebook: Favre Breaks Marino's Career Record For Completion

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 12/17/2006

When quarterback Brett Favre hit Carlyle Holiday on a slant route for a 21-yard gain late in the second quarter on Sunday, he became the NFL's all-time leader in pass completions.

Not one to concern himself with records, Favre didn't know about it until referee Ed Hochuli quietly congratulated him on the field.

"I said, 'I have no idea what you're congratulating me for, but thank you,'" Favre said. "So I did know because of him."

The pass to Holiday was the 4,968th completion of Favre's career, surpassing Dan Marino's NFL record of 4,967. Favre finished the game 20 of 37 for 174 yards with three interceptions in Sunday's 17-9 victory over Detroit, putting his completion total at 4,974 with two games left this season.

"I'm more concerned about the three I completed to their team and the fact that we won," Favre said. "I'm thankful I've had a chance to play this long and to have an opportunity to break a record that's been held by a guy like Dan Marino is quite an honor, but I'm more pleased that we won the game."

It's somewhat fitting that Holiday would be the player to make the record-breaking reception. Acquired on waivers from Arizona less than two weeks ago, Holiday is one of many new faces the Packers have rotated through the receiver position this season due to injuries and other circumstances.

Holiday finished the game with three catches for 36 yards and how has four catches as a Packer. He's the 16th different player to catch a pass from Favre this season.

"It's amazing, really," said Holiday, a former quarterback at Notre Dame. "Two weeks ago I was in Arizona, and now I'm here catching passes from Brett Favre.

"He's a Hall of Famer, and for me I just have to keep on taking advantage while I'm here."

Members online

Latest posts