Not the jealous type but...

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
SEA. Better
SF. Better
CAR. Good Def>Good Offense (SEA proved it in SB)
NO... Alot closer than you care to probably admit.
Chicago... I don't think you give them quite enough credit.
Detroit... You think Rodgers would have won that thanksgiving day game last year? Really?
NYG.. No
ATL.. No
Dallas.. No
Philly.. No
Minny.. Don't sleep on them under Zimmer.
ARZ.. Great defense a lot like CAR.
STL.. Defensive front is stellar. If they're able to nearly beat SF, don't think they can't beat us on any given Sunday.

I believe that NO would own us in their house while we would beat them (especially in the playoffs) in GB.

I believe that GB is somewhere in the #3-#4 range, as long as Rodgers is healthy.

But, there is a gap between #1-2 and the rest of the contenders.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that NO would own us in their house while we would beat them (especially in the playoffs) in GB.

I believe that GB is somewhere in the #3-#4 range, as long as Rodgers is healthy.

But, there is a gap between #1-2 and the rest of the contenders.

I see us in the 4-5 range personally... My point in saying 5-8 was that you could make a legit case with a few of those teams. Certain ppl saw my posts as saying that we flat out suck, are awful and couldn't hang with a team like Jacksonville... Not at all what I was saying. We are talented, but we have a ways to go to contend for the NFC title IMO.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I see us in the 4-5 range personally... My point in saying 5-8 was that you could make a legit case with a few of those teams. Certain ppl saw my posts as saying that we flat out suck, are awful and couldn't hang with a team like Jacksonville... Not at all what I was saying. We are talented, but we have a ways to go to contend for the NFC title IMO.

I think GB "contends" for the NFC title now. It's just that SEA and SF both have higher odds. I guess that's what you mean as well.

And, in head-to-head, GB would lose more often to those teams than win. I'd say 7 in 10 to SF and 8 in 10 to SEA. Something like this.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stepping back from the FA debate, the question I have is this: what will it take have a chance of improving a relatively poor defense from last year?

a) Will re-signing important players like Shields, Neal, and immmmm, Raji (cough) + a draft that nabs several promising rookies be enough?

b) Do we need some outside help from one or two more veteran FAs that can make an immediate contribution?

To answer my own questions, a) is unlikely to lead to a marked improvement, unless perhaps we are lucky about injuries, but what leads us to believe that the injury situation won't occur again? Which leaves me with b), yes we do need some outside help. If TT sits on his hands and doesn't sign anybody good--and I mean a capable starter or two--then the defense likely won't see much improvement next season.

Now I agree with many of you that we don't have to sign De Marcus Ware, although that would have been nice, but signing Schlub McOld whose best days are well behind him won't do the trick either. Waiting for the bargain basement deals may work sometimes, yes someone may fall through, but that's more likely to produce nobody worth signing. You end up with Erik Walden and Jeff Saturday more often than not.

I'm still waiting for Ted to do something. If he lands nobody on defense of that caliber, I'll be very disappointed.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two things I hate hearing during the first week of FA are that all these other teams are signing players why aren't we?...and the phrase "big names" being used.

The core question IMHO is simply, are there guys out there that can make the Green Bay Packers better? If there are, why aren't we signing them? I read an article saying we scheduled defensive linemen from the Steelers Al Wood (I didn't know who he was either) for a visit. Read up on him a little and he was considered a possible steal/player on the rise. He's gone to Tennesee, so apparently the price is still too high for Ted to do any more than dip his toes in the water.

There are good players out there I think...I hope. But the price will have to continue to come down til we get serious.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's PFF's opinion. Nfl network and espn have not had his name thrown around....... 2 networks that have been covering transactions and speculations for 3 days now, not mentioning him..... that should tell you something. Hell, they talked about MD Jennings going to the bears and didn't mention tillman.....so....lol

They have only really talked about 2 bears: Henry Melton, and hester

Have you seen NFLN this morning?

Eric Davis says and I quote "this man can still play"

So we have PFF and now the NFLN saying Tillman is still a good player

D

Deleted member 6794

Have you seen NFLN this morning?

Eric Davis says and I quote "this man can still play"

So we have PFF and now the NFLN saying Tillman is still a good player

I don´t think anyone should take the guys on NFL AM too serious though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don´t think anyone should take the guys on NFL AM too serious though.

As you know I didnt use them as why I like Tilman,

Oshkosh mentioned them as a source to back up why he didnt want Tilman..That is why I brought it up...I think an ex NFL player giving his opinion on a player is valid...

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Tillman went all week long basically without a mention, still on FA list..... nobody picked him up yet. Might tell ya something....... his name may not be that big anymore. E.D. might be friends with the guy, ya never know. All I know is, the main guys with something to contribute have been picked clean.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tillman went all week long basically without a mention, still on FA list..... nobody picked him up yet. Might tell ya something....... his name may not be that big anymore. E.D. might be friends with the guy, ya never know. All I know is, the main guys with something to contribute have been picked clean.

You 1st said NFLN didnt mention him so he cant be good....Now they did mention him and you have another excuse..

I used my own thinking to say I wouldn't mind him on the Pack..You need to have a network tell you he is good or not good

BTW, woodson wasnt signed till April 27th 6 weeks after FA started....No one wanted him either..might tell ya something

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree that we have a QB. We have the best in the league.

I also agree that we are a couple pieces away. A number of good safties went in FA this year, for a very fair price. TT passed.

However, I'll go through the rosters position by position with someone if they want. They are the more talented roster. By a LONG shot, no. But by a fair margin.

I'm rationalizing it because I watched every game, as most avid packers fans did. And it didn't feel close. Any of the meetings. The last was the closest.

Every time it felt like a momentum stopping situation, we let them convert. The 9ers converted I don't know how many 4 and distances on us over the past few meetings, but it got to the point where it felt like if it was 4th and whatever, that they'll convert. I don't think we stopped them on any of them, but could be wrong. I just know that when it felt like a must stop, we didn't stop them.

I'm not saying we suck. I'm not crying wolf, I'm simply saying that a team has had our number. And until we beat them, I'll continue to say that. I'm passionate, as many of you are because I want them to win dammit. I also refuse to act like a Bears fan and put my goggles on lol... I live in Illinois, bare with me...

IMO there are TWO clear MAIN reasons SF has won the last 3 times.
1. Injuries to our OL, specifically our OT position which has allowed them an easier time to put a good amount of pressure on Rodgers...thus making him less effective. Bahktari was solid, I look for him to add weight and strength hopefully making him even more effective at LT.
2. Our defensive inability to limit/stop Kapernick's scrambling. He is a good passing QB, but what makes him dangerous is that when you try to pressure him he hurts you with his running. He also hurt Seattle's great defense running...so it's not just our defense.

We need one or two guys in the middle of our defense that can run and chase these scrambling QB's down. I hope at #21 the pick is Ryan Shazier ILB...who can also move to SSLB if we mix it up and also play 4-3. He is fast, can cover a TE like Vernon Davis, and from what I have seen is a great blitzer up the middle from the ILB position. So he gives you many things...basically another pass rusher/blitzer and a guy that can run and cover.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree that we have a QB. We have the best in the league.

I also agree that we are a couple pieces away. A number of good safties went in FA this year, for a very fair price. TT passed.

Also, personally I am very glad we didn't pay a FA safety. I am hoping they move Micah Hyde to the other safety position. Hayward comes back-he's an impact player we missed. Hyde has better speed than either of the current first round safties Clinton-Dix and Pryor. Hyde has decent instincts, plays good angles, and tackles well-many things that make a good safety. He has a year under his belt playing the slot. Not saying he will be an all-pro safety, but I think he could be very solid back there. I am hoping they find another backup safety in the mid rounds-like comp pick 3 or 4th round.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Injuries to our OL, specifically our OT position which has allowed them an easier time to put a good amount of pressure on Rodgers...thus making him less effective. Bahktari was solid, I look for him to add weight and strength hopefully making him even more effective at LT.
2. Our defensive inability to limit/stop Kapernick's scrambling. He is a good passing QB, but what makes him dangerous is that when you try to pressure him he hurts you with his running. He also hurt Seattle's great defense running...so it's not just our defense.

We need one or two guys in the middle of our defense that can run and chase these scrambling QB's down. I hope at #21 the pick is Ryan Shazier ILB...who can also move to SSLB if we mix it up and also play 4-3. He is fast, can cover a TE like Vernon Davis, and from what I have seen is a great blitzer up the middle from the ILB position. So he gives you many things...basically another pass rusher/blitzer and a guy that can run and cover.

I agree, but Shazier at 21?

D

Deleted member 6794

You 1st said NFLN didnt mention him so he cant be good....Now they did mention him and you have another excuse..

I used my own thinking to say I wouldn't mind him on the Pack..You need to have a network tell you he is good or not good

BTW, woodson wasnt signed till April 27th 6 weeks after FA started....No one wanted him either..might tell ya something

Tillman re-signed with the Bears yesterday.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Niners have a pretty good pass rush, not sure Bulaga (who allowed some pressures in the only of the four losses he played in as well) or Sherrod would have helped.

It's tough to stop Kaepernick once he decides to run. I agree about needing someone in the middle who could help containing him, Shazier is an OLB though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, personally I am very glad we didn't pay a FA safety. I am hoping they move Micah Hyde to the other safety position. Hayward comes back-he's an impact player we missed. Hyde has better speed than either of the current first round safties Clinton-Dix and Pryor. Hyde has decent instincts, plays good angles, and tackles well-many things that make a good safety. He has a year under his belt playing the slot. Not saying he will be an all-pro safety, but I think he could be very solid back there. I am hoping they find another backup safety in the mid rounds-like comp pick 3 or 4th round.

It's possible Hyde could turn into a decent safety, but relying only on that and not having a backup plan wouldn't be smart.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts