Not the jealous type but...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will we get better through the draft? So far, Nick Perry and Datone Jones have not become impact players. They may be next year, but there isn't any reason to believe that it's a sure thing.

The holes that were there in this defense remain, and Ted hasn't done anything yet.

Some of you are saying it's crazy to overpay FAs on days 1 or 2. Sure, but Ted's 'wait and see until the market calms down' strategy to FA may save you money but doesn't leave you with much of any good FAs to choose from because they've all been signed.

Yes, you may find a gem, but has Ted found any gems using this approach to FA lately? Who was the last really good FA the Packers got? Jeff Saturday? <*****> He certainly came at a bargain. Or was it Charles Woodson whom the Packers were willing to dish out serious money for?

Once again this year it does look as if we aren't going to sign an impact player. Ted may sign a FA or two that will help a bit, but no impact players. What will that mean for this defense come September. Is it going to be that much better?

I won't bet my marbles on it.

There isn't any reason to believe a free agent from day 1 or day 2 is a sure thing who will come in and make the defense instantly better either.

I don't understand how so many people are acting like free agency is a sure thing when it's clearly not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As much as it's good to say FA doesn't win Superbowls, it would've been nice to get ONE, JUST ONE impact player for our defense.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't any reason to believe a free agent from day 1 or day 2 is a sure thing who will come in and make the defense instantly better either.

I don't understand how so many people are acting lie free agency is a sure thing when it's clearly not.

Nothing is a sure thing. The draft and develop strategy isn't a sure thing. You're taking a chance when you sign players or draft them. Nobody reasonable is expecting a sure thing, but if you do add a solid player through FA you are increasing your chances. It takes money to land them. That's just a fact in today's NFL.

Day 1 and day 2 are when the major impact players in FA are signed, almost without exception. That's why if you don't act on those days, you don't get an impact player.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But who are the impact players of a caliber like Woodson's that are left? I think that FA has become a much faster business than in 2006 because teams are more savvy (and a bit crazier too, perhaps).

If someone on here knows who the next Woodson is, he/she should be a helping out an NFL team right now.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing is a sure thing. The draft and develop strategy isn't a sure thing. You're taking a chance when you sign players or draft them. Nobody reasonable is expecting a sure thing, but if you do add a solid player through FA you are increasing your chances. It takes money to land them. That's just a fact in today's NFL.

Day 1 and day 2 are when the major impact players in FA are signed, almost without exception. That's why if you don't act on those days, you don't get an impact player.

I could name a few: Picket, Woodson, Peyton Manning.

I can't name many, just like it's also difficult to name a lot of really good free agents who went on day 1 or 2 that lived up to their contracts, and most importantly improved the team.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett and Woodson were major signings. And...if you notice how much faster FA is now than back in 2006. Agents/scout/teams move much faster now.

The one guy that comes to mind who is still out there I believe, is Randy Starks.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett and Woodson were major signings. And...if you notice how much faster FA is now than back in 2006. Agents/scout/teams move much faster now.

The one guy that comes to mind who is still out there I believe, is Randy Starks.

Woodson was signed like 3 says before the draft. I doubt it was that much slower.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a Byrd or a Ward would've impacted our defense so greatly that we would get the value of what we would've had to pay (even more than the Saints and Broncos paid)? I don't buy it at all. There's simply not that big of a difference in the NFL. The value has to match in FA or you're just throwing darts at the wall.

D

Deleted member 6794

But who are the impact players of a caliber like Woodson's that are left?

I don't think those guys will have the same impact as Woodson, but Chris D. Clemons, Vincent Rey, Akeem Jordan or Arthur Moats would help this team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at these lists and wondering if there's a close-to-a-Charles-Woodson-type of player still there who really fits the Packers (e.g. Jared Allen doesn't).

Honest question. Do you see one?

No one can say anyone will be like Woodson...

Jason Hatcher-could still be useful for 2 more years

Tilman if he wants a 2 year deal...He could provide leadership for the younger guys

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you have proof of this? Just because player X signs for big money doesn't mean it was a solid move. When/If Denver doesn't win the SB this year or next (not saying they won't) can we finally agree that winning day 1 of free agency doesn't have any direct coorelation to winning a SB?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He would be a good leader, and be able to add inside info on the bears (not like we have needed it) but he has played 11 rough years in the NFL and last season his wear and tear finally reared its ugly head. He was injured and showed that he didn't recover from it well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
PFF had him as the #9 fa on March 3rd

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/03/pffs-2014-top-75-free-agents/

Not saying he should start at all.. I just would like his experience for our younger guys

That's PFF's opinion. Nfl network and espn have not had his name thrown around....... 2 networks that have been covering transactions and speculations for 3 days now, not mentioning him..... that should tell you something. Hell, they talked about MD Jennings going to the bears and didn't mention tillman.....so....lol

They have only really talked about 2 bears: Henry Melton, and hester

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's PFF's opinion. Nfl network and espn have not had his name thrown around....... 2 networks that have been covering transactions and speculations for 3 days now, not mentioning him..... that should tell you something. Hell, they talked about MD Jennings going to the bears and didn't mention tillman.....so....lol

They have only really talked about 2 bears: Henry Melton, and hester

It doesnt matter, it is my opinion and I maybe way off base...I just think he would be a great leader for the younger guys.

Can we drop it now?

Members online

Latest posts