Not Invested

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way you wrote that makes it seem as if the losses do bug you to the point where you don't care as much any more about them.

If it's not the losses that make you change your viewing habits, what exactly was it?

We all have to pick and choose our priorities in life. And if the Pack isn't a big one as it used to be, so be it.

Losing that Seattle game changed everything. Don't know how to describe it. Once l eventually got over it by the following summer, l wasn't interested in the regular season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer football is a religion to most in Wisconsin. Go to church on Sundays, come home and eat dinner, turn the game on. Many live and breathe this team.

I've found myself not organizing my schedule around this team anymore. No more getting up early, making dishes, cancelling plans to watch them underachieve. Keep in mind l will always be a fan. It's just losses don't bug me like they once did. Anybody else at this point?

I've been that way for several years now and I'm enjoying it a lot more and I don't feel guilty about it or feel like any less of a fan. I guess to some people I may be but who cares about what they think.

As a Packer-backer who remembers the state of football in the 70's, I can't take your post seriously. Packer fans filled the seats at Lambeau and crowded around the 19-inch cathode-ray-tube TV sets when we had the likes of Jerry Tagee and Scott Hunter to cheer for. Now we have a team that's been to the playoffs seven years in a row. You want to bail now, after one loss? Textbook fair-weather fan move. Think it over.

Who is bailing? Some of us just don't plan our lives around the Packers any more. Since my nephews began playing football on Sundays 3 years ago I've probably missed almost as many Packer games as I've seen and it doesn't bother me. Its a game that I have no control over played by men I will never meet (and don't really care to) so yeah, I will watch when I have the chance but if I can't see a game I'm not going to get all bent out of shape and if they lose I'll be bothered by it a little bit but I get over it pretty quickly now.

Now if I could just wean myself off these forums it would be even better. I must have deleted them out of my favorites a half a dozen times but I think my record for staying away is probably about a week or so. Don't get me wrong, I like you guys and for the most part I enjoy the banter but I just feel its a terrible waste of time sometimes and just when I think I'm done for good I get sucked back in.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been that way for several years now and I'm enjoying it a lot more and I don't feel guilty about it or feel like any less of a fan. I guess to some people I may be but who cares about what they think.

Who is bailing? Some of us just don't plan our lives around the Packers any more. Since my nephews began playing football on Sundays 3 years ago I've probably missed almost as many Packer games as I've seen and it doesn't bother me. Its a game that I have no control over played by men I will never meet (and don't really care to) so yeah, I will watch when I have the chance but if I can't see a game I'm not going to get all bent out of shape and if they lose I'll be bothered by it a little bit but I get over it pretty quickly now.

Now if I could just wean myself off these forums it would be even better. I must have deleted them out of my favorites a half a dozen times but I think my record for staying away is probably about a week or so. Don't get me wrong, I like you guys and for the most part I enjoy the banter but I just feel its a terrible waste of time sometimes and just when I think I'm done for good I get sucked back in.

I'm not to the point you are. But I would say about 5 years ago I learned that at the end of the day it is just a game and it's a hobby of mine to follow this team. Back then if the team lost, it would ruin my Sunday or all week. Now even after the Seattle meltdown, all my friends were trying to get me worked up and I realized it was just a game I couldn't control and there's more important things in life for it to ruin my spirits. Win or lose, I try not to get too high or too low.

I still do go to one Packers game a year, but I make it a vacation with my wife. We pick what cities we wanted to visit that the Packers are playing and we go to it.

I use this forum as a place that we all share the same thing in common and to vent with each other since we all would like to see the team succeed. But at times it seems that people get a bit too sensitive about any comments.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing that Seattle game changed everything. Don't know how to describe it. Once l eventually got over it by the following summer, l wasn't interested in the regular season.
Maybe, like me, you could also be sick and tired of their recent history to get to a playoff game and then to blow it after all the excitement the reg. season goes.
All that excitement to be let down would be like getting to meet your favorite movie star but then she changes her mind and will never meet you at all. So why bother getting all excited for her movie as you used to be?
Losing in the post was never a part of the Packers legacy and now, unfortunately for us, it is.
It is what I am now expecting of the Pack as long as they have McMuffin and Ted in charge.

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, like me, you could also be sick and tired of their recent history to get to a playoff game and then to blow it after all the excitement the reg. season goes.
All that excitement to be let down would be like getting to meet your favorite movie star but then she changes her mind and will never meet you at all. So why bother getting all excited for her movie as you used to be?
Losing in the post was never a part of the Packers legacy and now, unfortunately for us, it is.
It is what I am now expecting of the Pack as long as they have McMuffin and Ted in charge.

Exactly. If not for a miraculous 2010 playoff run, MM would be out of a job. No doubt about it. It's like that SB win earned him and TT a lifetime pass.

Ultimately l think they will get to the playoffs because of the schedule. That shouldn't be the benchmark for the Green Bay Packers. The goal should be SB or bust. Anything less than a SB showing should be grounds for major changes.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know you post wasn't direct at me but something you said plays into exactly the way I feel. I no longer get sick and tired of anything that happens to the Green Bay Packers. The whole point to my post was that is what has changed my enjoyment of the team for the better. I have decided to thoroughly enjoy the good and not get worked up over the bad.

That's just the way I have become. I'm not saying it would work for everyone or that everyone should try it. I'm not saying its a better way to be, I'm just saying it works for me.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you post wasn't direct at me but something you said plays into exactly the way I feel.
No sweat.
This is an open forum.
If my message was meant only for one, I would send that member a private message.

I no longer get sick and tired of anything that happens to the Green Bay Packers. The whole point to my post was that is what has changed my enjoyment of the team for the better. I have decided to thoroughly enjoy the good and not get worked up over the bad.

That's just the way I have become. I'm not saying it would work for everyone or that everyone should try it. I'm not saying its a better way to be, I'm just saying it works for me.
Yeah, I get ya.
My method for dealing with the Pack at this point is to expect them to have a winning season, get to the playoffs and then to lose them yet again.
That way it won't be such a big let down when, not if, it happens again.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter how much I try not to let losses get to me i'm always waking up just thinking about it and feels like my life just hit a low point. Doesn't matter If I stop investing into the game financially by grilling on Sundays or drink during a game or try not to get too emotional during the game..... a loss hurts. Especially a close game!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you're just too young or too optimistic? Old downers like me have seen it all enough times that it's more a matter of "yup, saw that coming". :):)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather go through the stress of a frustrated fan then the stress of a coach or player.
Or not any stress at all.
Is that too much to ask?

H

HardRightEdge

Exactly. If not for a miraculous 2010 playoff run, MM would be out of a job. No doubt about it. It's like that SB win earned him and TT a lifetime pass.
As was the case with Favre. I would not exclude Thompson and Capers from the "lifetime pass" club. But these guys did win Super Bowls. That's not to be overlooked. I suspect there will be a change of some kind if the pattern continues much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are a shallow fool to base the state of your happiness on inconsequential matters out of your control. The Packers are a joy to follow and root for, but in the big scheme of things, if the Packers win or loose the only effect on you is what you emotionly allow. As Lennon said, "I can show you, that when it rains or shines, its just a state of mind."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are a shallow fool to base the state of your happiness on inconsequential matters out of your control. The Packers are a joy to follow and root for, but in the big scheme of things, if the Packers win or loose the only effect on you is what you emotionly allow. As Lennon said, "I can show you, that when it rains or shines, its just a state of mind."
I marked that I liked your comment but just wondering if you were MLK, Gandhi, Lincoln or someone like them in your past life?

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As was the case with Favre. I would not exclude Thompson and Capers from the "lifetime pass" club. But these guys did win Super Bowls. That's not to be overlooked. I suspect there will be a change of some kind if the pattern continues much longer.

Indeed they did win a SB. Will forever be grateful for that. I truly believe that may be the exception to what's been annual playoff failures : Giant & 49er beat downs, Seattle collapse. There has not been a signature playoff win ( Beating Joe Webb led Vikes, Mediocre Redskins, Getting by Cowboys on what was very close to a loss doesn't count) since 45. Last year in Arizona could've been it. Yet the D screwd it up within four plays.

I hope Murphy sees what the rest of the fans are seeing. This is the Green Bay Packers. We don't celebrate just getting to the playoffs like some other teams ( Browns, Jags, Etc) would. We celebrate and want titles only. Hopefully it gets fixed and we see another glory run soon.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you're just too young or too optimistic? Old downers like me have seen it all enough times that it's more a matter of "yup, saw that coming". :):)

Speaking of optimistic, no matter how many games packers lost in the 80s my grandpa and dad were still in denial.

I swear watching the game with them and seeing them get very emotional it was like they "own" a share of the team or something. :roflmao:

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Indeed they did win a SB. Will forever be grateful for that. I truly believe that may be the exception to what's been annual playoff failures : Giant & 49er beat downs, Seattle collapse. There has not been a signature playoff win ( Beating Joe Webb led Vikes, Mediocre Redskins, Getting by Cowboys on what was very close to a loss doesn't count) since 45. Last year in Arizona could've been it. Yet the D screwd it up within four plays.

I hope Murphy sees what the rest of the fans are seeing. This is the Green Bay Packers. We don't celebrate just getting to the playoffs like some other teams ( Browns, Jags, Etc) would. We celebrate and want titles only. Hopefully it gets fixed and we see another glory run soon.

I'll go along with the Viking and Redskin wins not falling into the signature category, but the Cowboy game was a legitimate, hard fought win against a good team.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take the Cowboy win, but it's still a little hard to puff out the chest when considering that probably every fan watching, including us, thought Dez made that catch. Always bad to point to officiating, especially on one call, but that was epic.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take the Cowboy win, but it's still a little hard to puff out the chest when considering that probably every fan watching, including us, thought Dez made that catch. Always bad to point to officiating, especially on one call, but that was epic.
Everyone forgets, especially Skip Bayless, that the Packers had time on the clock and were already driving down the field. It's not like the Dez catch was a walkoff TD.

PS... That game was so, so epic.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not the point of the thread and I have no desire to restart the debate, but since you included every fan into your claim, I want to make it clear that this fan thought it was incomplete based on the rule interpretation. Perhaps I'm now alone in that sentiment, but I digress...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as you digress, perhaps my desire to keep posts short caused some confusion. I meant that, when we first saw the play, and even after the initial replays, everyone thought it was a catch. If you didn't, I can't account for that - personal opinion. After the lawyers got involved, most of us could accept the ruling, and all Packer fans were overjoyed, even if we were looking over our shoulders. :)

Members online

Latest posts