Not Invested

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer football is a religion to most in Wisconsin. Go to church on Sundays, come home and eat dinner, turn the game on. Many live and breathe this team.

I've found myself not organizing my schedule around this team anymore. No more getting up early, making dishes, cancelling plans to watch them underachieve. Keep in mind l will always be a fan. It's just losses don't bug me like they once did. Anybody else at this point?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope..

I grew up in the 70s so i know how bad it can get...

Let me have ur season tix?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL as a whole is a lot less important to me than it used to be, but the Packer game is the only game I make sure to take time and watch. I suppose as time goes by and the NFL becomes more and more about pomp and circumstance, the drama and controversy and a platform for social change and political statements, the more I'll tune out. Probably always love the packers, but i'll be searching for the best media to get game only coverage and tune out the rest. I don't tune in to any highlight shows anymore. I don't watch pregames at all, haven't in a couple years now and outside of GB, i may catch 5 minutes of a couple other games on Sunday, but that's it.

But the Packer game is still important to me and I don't think they'll "underachieve" all season. I hope to say I enjoyed watching the pieces come together by the time november and december roll around and see the results of their growth on the field.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still a big fan and watch all the Packer games and hurt when they lose. But I am realizing that as much as I believe I have good ideas and as often as I see dumb mistakes by coaches; there is nothing I can do about it. So even though I still am looking at the games critically; I am really just a fan. I get upset but am not going to carry over the loss like I used to. I just can't seem to send my ideas to MM telepathically. Go Pack Go!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope..

I grew up in the 70s so i know how bad it can get...

Let me have ur season tix?

Dead horses, but always feel the need for rebuttal. Became aware of pro football in the late 50s, so I've been there for those horrible teams, the Lombardi Packers, the Gory Years, and the Favre-Rodgers ers. I was a nut during the 60s because they won nearly everything and they were the Yankees of football - everyone either loved or hated them, no middle ground. During the 70s and 80s, they were bad, I knew, I didn't expect much, so I reveled in individual, unexpected, wins, especially those that really messed with somebody else's championship chances. For so much of the last couple of decades, it seemed like they should have been Lombardi 2.0, but there's no need to rehash why it's been a multiple, and, at times, terribly painful disappointment to those of us who think there's one winner and 31 losers every year.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Packer-backer who remembers the state of football in the 70's, I can't take your post seriously. Packer fans filled the seats at Lambeau and crowded around the 19-inch cathode-ray-tube TV sets when we had the likes of Jerry Tagee and Scott Hunter to cheer for. Now we have a team that's been to the playoffs seven years in a row. You want to bail now, after one loss? Textbook fair-weather fan move. Think it over.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which part of what I wrote said I'm bailing? My point was supposed to be that I've been a Packer backer for nearly six decades, through thick and thin - just that I have other things in my life that are more important and that I (personally) don't find losing seasons as painful as wasted good ones (e.g., six, maybe four, of those seven you mention). I (personally) consider someone to be a fair-weather fan when they change allegiance to a current front runner, not when they stay loyal during a quarter century of losing. However, I always have, and still do, reserve the right to complain.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which part of what I wrote said I'm bailing? My point was supposed to be that I've been a Packer backer for nearly six decades, through thick and thin - just that I have other things in my life that are more important and that I (personally) don't find losing seasons as painful as wasted good ones (e.g., six, maybe four, of those seven you mention). I (personally) consider someone to be a fair-weather fan when they change allegiance to a current front runner, not when they stay loyal during a quarter century of losing. However, I always have, and still do, reserve the right to complain.

We all complain, that's part of being a fan. I thought the thrust of your post was that you were not as invested in Packer football as you previously had been. If your life is taking you in a different direction, that's well and good, but that has nothing to do with the Packers. That just means you're less interested in football in general.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, and I appreciate the response. It's really annoying to have to refute the bandwagon tag every time one dislikes someone or something to do with the Pack. Haven't been nearly as interested in pro football since it became a matter of hoping the millionaires temporarily wearing our uniform beat the millionaires temporarily wearing the other uniform. Actually, just before hitting 'post', it occurred to me that the reason I wasn't as upset with the Gory Years is that, for the most part, (a) those guys were 'my' guys and (b) made the kind of money I could wrap my head around.

P.S. - If you think we all complain and that's part of being a fan, you haven't met some posters. :)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, and I appreciate the response. It's really annoying to have to refute the bandwagon tag every time one dislikes someone or something to do with the Pack. Haven't been nearly as interested in pro football since it became a matter of hoping the millionaires temporarily wearing our uniform beat the millionaires temporarily wearing the other uniform. Actually, just before hitting 'post', it occurred to me that the reason I wasn't as upset with the Gory Years is that, for the most part, (a) those guys were 'my' guys and (b) made the kind of money I could wrap my head around.

P.S. - If you think we all complain and that's part of being a fan, you haven't met some posters. :)

Yes. If someone never complains, I assume they just don't care enough to.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't mean to turn this into a bromance (especially after the way it started), but that's another of the points I usually make when "you complain, so you're off the bandwagon" mantra gets trotted out. My usual response is that I love my daughter, but I feel obligated to tell her when I think she's doing something wrong.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that you've hit the harmony point with this:
It's just losses don't bug me like they once did. Anybody else at this point?
You can enjoy the Packers when they win and move about your day when they lose. That's how I've been since my 20s and it's such a great way to live life. There are more important things to get all twisted up about, but spectator sports isn't one of them. Lucky for you, I still forsee a lot of wins this season so when they make it half-way through the playoffs you'll have enjoyed the ride and won't care too terribly when they lose a step or two before the SB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that you've hit the harmony point with this:You can enjoy the Packers when they win and move about your day when they lose. That's how I've been since my 20s and it's such a great way to live life. There are more important things to get all twisted up about, but spectator sports isn't one of them. Lucky for you, I still forsee a lot of wins this season so when they make it half-way through the playoffs you'll have enjoyed the ride and won't care too terribly when they lose a step or two before the SB.
Agree totally to the tone of many of these responses.

A good weekend used to be when either the Packers, or the Badgers won their game. Both winning were cause for a major celebration. Over the last 25 years, a two win weekend has become commonplace. A two loss weekend is now a completely disastrous rarity. Throw in the absolutely phenomenal results of Badgers basketball over the last 20 years and these have become the "Good Old Days". The Brewers are the only disaster in town now.

Reaction score
Packer football is a religion to most in Wisconsin. Go to church on Sundays, come home and eat dinner, turn the game on. Many live and breathe this team.

I've found myself not organizing my schedule around this team anymore. No more getting up early, making dishes, cancelling plans to watch them underachieve. Keep in mind l will always be a fan. It's just losses don't bug me like they once did. Anybody else at this point?
Yes. I am. But my disappointment is more with the league in general and not so much a specific loss. The game is becoming to conservative and everything is a foul. I want my old NFL back somewhere between the retiring of leather helmets and the Favre era.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It always makes me laugh when someone makes a point of coming into a fan forum to state they don't much care anymore about (fill in point of disinterest here).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad you're so easily entertained and don't have an opinion on what does or does not concern the others. These threads often generate some pretty good discussion, ranging from "I feel that way to but thought I was the only one" to "how can you possible espouse an idea that stupid?".

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer games are still must watch TV. I yell and scream at the TV just as much as I did 5, 10 or 20 years ago, but the big difference nowadays is that I try to not let a loss effect me in a negative way. I have no desire to carry emotional baggage over a loss throughout the week and throw out grandiose tales of woe. I guess if you consider not wanting to be miserable for an extended period of time not invested, well then.. guess I'm not invested.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I am. But my disappointment is more with the league in general and not so much a specific loss. The game is becoming to conservative and everything is a foul. I want my old NFL back somewhere between the retiring of leather helmets and the Favre era.

Profootballtalk.com has been reporting that the television ratings for all of the prime time games have been markedly lower so far this season. I wonder if it's partially due to some of the new rule changes. It seems like the officials are constantly reviewing plays and this new taunting rule has included some ridiculous interpretations. I couldn't believe the penalty they called on the Browns receiver this past weekend that cost them a legitimate chance to win the game.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I live on the East Coast and night games are brutal for us that have to get up at 5:00 am. I went to bed an hour and half before the game ended. I guess I'm not as invested as I was, either

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No fairweather fan here. I will still check scores, keep game on in the background. Just not going to let it have the impact ( Loss) it use too. Took me months to get over that Seattle game.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Too much of the NFL is like a suffocating 8th grade Social Studies course. This month we are taught "Latino heritage". Next month the historic Packer (and all other not-so-historic) uniforms will be peppered with pink for the women. We currently have players protesting the national anthem. Oh, and who can forget the exciting concussion issue?

And like overbearing preachers, the sports media cannot spare our ears one minute of their sanctimonious diatribes about all this stuff. (Are your ears burning ESPN?)

Come to think of it, I probably enjoyed 8th grade Social Studies more than the NFL's endless talking down to me about one issue after another.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No worries...Buggybill is up at the *** crack of dawn watching Celtic reign blows all over the Rangers...oh the humanity! This year's Packer offensive unit is rubbish...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way you wrote that makes it seem as if the losses do bug you to the point where you don't care as much any more about them.

If it's not the losses that make you change your viewing habits, what exactly was it?

We all have to pick and choose our priorities in life. And if the Pack isn't a big one as it used to be, so be it.

Members online

Latest posts