Not a knee jerk reaction

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well MM really is confused because if he think we are a power running team you stick with the run and you don't put receivers and TEs in the back field.

If Monty and Cobb don't have value in the backfield then they're worse than I thought they were, because neither one is much of a true receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Monty and Cobb don't have value in the backfield then they're worse than I thought they were, because neither one is much of a true receiver.

I vehemently disagree with your evaluation of Cobb.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The previous post you replied to was about using different receivers on more than a handful of snaps.

They need to commit to the change and they need Rodgers to buy in. I think it was Carolina when he claimed that things opened up when they went back to the wide open spread(yes it must have been going back to Spread ISO and not the Carolina D backing off with a huge lead). They did try to install some intersecting routes but Aaron apparently resisted and resented the changes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vehemently disagree with your evaluation of Cobb.

Then we disagree, because he didn't look that great against Captain and Tenille last Sunday night. He's a good player but he's mostly a utility man who can move between the backfield and the slot. As a pure slot receiver he's more good than great and that's strictly as a role receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then we disagree, because he didn't look that great against Captain and Tenille last Sunday night. He's a good player but he's mostly a utility man who can move between the backfield and the slot. As a pure slot receiver he's more good than great and that's strictly as a role receiver.

Cobb was the league's best slot receiver as recent as the 2014 season. There's no doubt he has struggled since then as well but no reason to not consider him a true receiver.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb was the league's best slot receiver as recent as the 2014 season. There's no doubt he has struggled since then as well but no reason to not consider him a true receiver.

A year in which he also played a lot in the backfield. His performance was over his head that year, before and since he's been above average as a slot receiver but nothing special. Again he's at his best when he moves between the backfield and the slot, he needs clean releases to be effective. If teams can jam him at the line he doesn't look that good.

D

Deleted member 6794

A year in which he also played a lot in the backfield. His performance was over his head that year, before and since he's been above average as a slot receiver but nothing special. Again he's at his best when he moves between the backfield and the slot, he needs clean releases to be effective. If teams can jam him at the line he doesn't look that good.

Cobb ran a total of 87.3% of his toutes out of the slot in 2014. He didn't line up a lot in the backfield that year. I agree he has struggled over the last 20 games as well but he's for sure still capable of being a dangerous slot weapon.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb ran a total of 87.3% of his toutes out of the slot in 2014. He didn't line up a lot in the backfield that year. I agree he has struggled over the last 20 games as well but he's for sure still capable of being a dangerous slot weapon.

If someone is struggling over the last 20 games, that would indicate a problem or two, right?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sprained I think his AC joint at the beginning of last season. I'd love to see any of you beat the jam of any hack off the street with one good arm, let alone an NFL DB.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good, now I get to beat on coaches/management again. :) If you have a player who is injured to the point that he can't be effective, find another option.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also was really annoyed to see Rodgers get all over JC Tretter for the simple mistake of not noticing when the defense jumped into the neutral zone and thus costing the offense a free play.

I have watched Rodgers belittle his offensive players enough times on the field to wonder what they think of him personally and whether or not they enjoy being led by him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also was really annoyed to see Rodgers get all over JC Tretter for the simple mistake of not noticing when the defense jumped into the neutral zone and thus costing the offense a free play.

I have watched Rodgers belittle his offensive players enough times on the field to wonder what they think of him personally and whether or not they enjoy being led by him.

I think Rodgers need to correct the guys on offense when they make a mental error. That's part of his role. I've seen both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady get on their guys more than once.

I also thinks Rodgers needs to play better than he did Sunday night. Right now, he's part of the problem.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Part of my concern that AR (and MM, TT) are reading their press clippings or listening to the announcers. #12 and his ability to generate the free plays has become part of his persona rather than just something to be exploited.

Reaction score
If someone is struggling over the last 20 games, that would indicate a problem or two, right?
I Recall him thinking he broke his collar bone before week 1 2015. That speaks clearly how bad that injury was as some speculated it was a non factor. Surprisingly, he played injured with a sprained shoulder much of the 2015 season and against a better array of CBs playing as our #1WR. Although granted it's a fact his performance dropped off some.. I don't believe thats a fair assessment of his ability when looking at the full context

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to give it to Rogers for sticking to what he believes in because he keeps throwing to adams like hes a megatron or a aj green or a brandon marshall. Rogers sees something in Adams that i dont see. All i see is a guy that can jump high
i will be honest Cobb is decent he lack the swiftness of a slot player I say this because he can't beat the press. He has good hands and can run a route but he can't beat man. He lacks the size and speed to play outside. The welkers the eddlemans
edlman,cooks,hurns,obj,Fitzgerald these are elite slot receivers. Cobb can't beat press coverage he can run a good route but if the db get hands on him wich seems not hard to do then he's out the play. Another reason y I think they put him in the back field to get some type of touches. He lacks the swiftness of a slot receiver and he lacks the size and speed to be on the outside. He's good but that's about it he has good hands.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

You have never seen a franchise quarterback get irritated by a mistake made by the offensive line before? I have seen it quite routinely over the years especially by the great quarterbacks. Brady, Manning, etc.

Hard counts and watching the defense jump off sides are a huge part of how Rodgers likes to do things. If they have covered it over and over again in practice, why is it an issue for Rodgers to point it out?

I think you're reaching here.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Recall him thinking he broke his collar bone before week 1 2015. That speaks clearly how bad that injury was as some speculated it was a non factor. Surprisingly, he played injured with a sprained shoulder much of the 2015 season and against a better array of CBs playing as our #1WR. Although granted it's a fact his performance dropped off some.. I don't believe thats a fair assessment of his ability when looking at the full context

This isn't about injuries. Cobb is a good player with above average talent, but he's limited. He can excel only with the right help around him and when put in certain roles/situations. More of a 'gadget' guy than an elite WR.
And he drops too many passes.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have never seen a franchise quarterback get irritated by a mistake made by the offensive line before? I have seen it quite routinely over the years especially by the great quarterbacks. Brady, Manning, etc.

Hard counts and watching the defense jump off sides are a huge part of how Rodgers likes to do things. If they have covered it over and over again in practice, why is it an issue for Rodgers to point it out?

I think you're reaching here.

I don't have a major issue with a quarterback showing frustration with mental errors, although I would personally prefer that openly embarrassing the player be reserved for particularly egregious errors. If Janis runs a bad route and Rodgers throws a pick as a result, I'd expect him to be laid into.

Tretter not noticing a player jump into the neutral zone, which he obviously would have hiked the ball if he did, and being screamed at by his QB who is having an awful game himself, seems a bit like overkill to me. It's one thing to try to correct a teammate, it's another thing to just scream at them because you're already frustrated, which is clearly what happened in this case.

Berating a teammate on camera for a very minor and very innocent transgression isn't going to make them try harder or in any way be more productive. It's more likely to cause internal friction, like we subtly saw with Lang after the game.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't have a major issue with a quarterback showing frustration with mental errors, although I would personally prefer that openly embarrassing the player be reserved for particularly egregious errors. If Janis runs a bad route and Rodgers throws a pick as a result, I'd expect him to be laid into.

Tretter not noticing a player jump into the neutral zone, which he obviously would have hiked the ball if he did, and being screamed at by his QB who is having an awful game himself, seems a bit like overkill to me. It's one thing to try to correct a teammate, it's another thing to just scream at them because you're already frustrated, which is clearly what happened in this case.

Berating a teammate on camera for a very minor and very innocent transgression isn't going to make them try harder or in any way be more productive. It's more likely to cause internal friction, like we subtly saw with Lang after the game.
I rarely see Aaron snap like that. Which leads me to believe that there might be more to the frustration than just the incident itself. I agree with you that snapping like that doesn't guarantee that he will do any better the next time, and no one likes to be publicly called out, but we don't know what has been going on in practice, we don't know if Aaron said in the huddle "hey watch out for their lineman and linebackers jumping offsides because if they do we really need to take advantage of that." We don't know the full story as to why Rodgers reacted the way that he did, but until further notice, Rodgers gets the benefit of the doubt with me.

Kind of like in Week 1 with Detroit. Two times on the final possession they were playing against the clock and two receivers failed to get out of bounds. And Stafford ripped into them. I could almost guarantee you that in the huddle he said that we have to get out of bounds.

Sort of the same concept here. I promise you that Aaron has been preaching taking advantage of free plays for months and that he might have mentioned it shortly before he failed to see it on that one play. We don't know. But like I said, who is going to get the benefit of the doubt from me? Rodgers all day. Bet Tretter sees it next time.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a bad game and the offense didn't get much time with everyone on the field in the preseason. Even Manning was benched during his last year on the way to the SB. Rodgers is a smart QB that knows when things are wrong and will do whatever it takes to right those wrongs. He's his own biggest critic so I don't see him taking this lying down. Just waiting to see what the next game or so will bring.

Reaction score
I rarely see Aaron snap like that. Which leads me to believe that there might be more to the frustration than just the incident itself. I agree with you that snapping like that doesn't guarantee that he will do any better the next time, and no one likes to be publicly called out, but we don't know what has been going on in practice, we don't know if Aaron said in the huddle "hey watch out for their lineman and linebackers jumping offsides because if they do we really need to take advantage of that." We don't know the full story as to why Rodgers reacted the way that he did, but until further notice, Rodgers gets the benefit of the doubt with me.

Kind of like in Week 1 with Detroit. Two times on the final possession they were playing against the clock and two receivers failed to get out of bounds. And Stafford ripped into them. I could almost guarantee you that in the huddle he said that we have to get out of bounds.

Sort of the same concept here. I promise you that Aaron has been preaching taking advantage of free plays for months and that he might have mentioned it shortly before he failed to see it on that one play. We don't know. But like I said, who is going to get the benefit of the doubt from me? Rodgers all day. Bet Tretter sees it next time.
Exactly. I remember clearly when Aaron snapped at Cory Linsley very similarly during Corey's NFL debut the other year in Seattle week 1. Linsley went on to become a solid Center for us, I believe playing with Aaron forced him to be more disciplined.
I like guys like Daniels and Rodgers who set high expectations from Less experienced teammates.
Vince Lombardi also did this and that same discipline was praised by his players after they realized he was right and made them better athletes.

Reaction score
This is a minor setback for AR. He'll be a top 10 QB again by seasons end.. But some will still complain because we're spoiled with 8 years of probowl/MVP caliber play from him.

D

Deleted member 6794

True, but there's no reason to not consider Cobb a true receiver.

i will be honest Cobb is decent he lack the swiftness of a slot player I say this because he can't beat the press. He has good hands and can run a route but he can't beat man. He lacks the size and speed to play outside.

edlman,cooks,hurns,obj,Fitzgerald these are elite slot receivers. Cobb can't beat press coverage he can run a good route but if the db get hands on him wich seems not hard to do then he's out the play. Another reason y I think they put him in the back field to get some type of touches. He lacks the swiftness of a slot receiver and he lacks the size and speed to be on the outside. He's good but that's about it he has good hands.

There's no doubt Cobb has struggled since the start of last season but is capable of being an elite slot receiver. In 2014 he scored four more touchdowns from the slot than any other receiver and gained significantly more yards per route run from the slot than any other wide out.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but there's no reason to not consider Cobb a true receiver.

There's no doubt Cobb has struggled since the start of last season but is capable of being an elite slot receiver. In 2014 he scored four more touchdowns from the slot than any other receiver and gained significantly more yards per route run from the slot than any other wide out.
Idk elite receivers may have a bad game or 2 but 2015 was the perfect season for him to excell jordy was out. All the balls mostly went to Adams. In all honesty Adams is the second best receiver we have he just can't catch the darn ball half the time lol. Cobb can't beat man coverage. Just my opinion from what I see.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to relax as fans... Yeah I get we looked like garbage but Minnesota has a tough team... We are not gonna win every game... It's week 2 why is everyone panicking?i think Rodgers and the starters should have played a little more during preseason to get up to par.. But it's gonna work out just fine we are gonna win the division as long as no major injuries occur.. I think we just need to tone it down half faith in our team we will pick it up again let me remind you it's been only two games!!!! Let's go!!!!

Members online