Not a knee jerk reaction

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What sane NE fans have been discussing trading Brady?

Also, let me get his straight. Did you just say right now, with Rodgers, they have 0% to win a Super Bowl, but without him, theyd have a chance?
The fans that have been discussing trading Brady have been analyzing the situation from a business-minded standpoint. In other words, taking a proactive approach to improving a team while receiving a high ROI. The system New England has established allows for a serviceable quarterback to step in and manage a game that allows for more victories than losses so long as the quarterback is "average". The NFL is a business and every business needs to focus on long-term goals in order to become & remain successful; those whom primarily focus on short-term gains are destined to fail. Improving efficiency by cutting unnecessary assets is the name of the game especially if the cuts result in more improvements in additional areas down the line. (draft picks to shore up other areas of need so long as the initial cut does not result in drastic long-term inefficiency).

Right now, every team has a chance of winning the Super Bowl including the Browns. With that said, there are only a handful of teams who have a realistic chance of winning based upon their current roster and assuming their respective roster remains healthy throughout the season. History has shown that the Packers are not favorites to win the Super Bowl with their current culture...they honestly got lucky with Super Bowl 45. Do you want this team to continue down that trend of maybe getting lucky with Rodgers, or do you want to take a chance and have this team become perennial Super Bowl contenders without Rodgers?

The name of the game is process improvement. The one area that has remained constant throughout the Rodgers & McCarthy era is quarterback. A 10% success rate is abysmal. Something needs to change and it starts with the quarterback and head coach. Every sane business owner would agree with that so long as they are taking an analytical approach to the situation.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fans that have been discussing trading Brady have been analyzing the situation from a business-minded standpoint. In other words, taking a proactive approach to improving a team while receiving a high ROI. The system New England has established allows for a serviceable quarterback to step in and manage a game that allows for more victories than losses so long as the quarterback is "average". The NFL is a business and every business needs to focus on long-term goals in order to become & remain successful; those whom primarily focus on short-term gains are destined to fail. Improving efficiency by cutting unnecessary assets is the name of the game especially if the cuts result in more improvements in additional areas down the line. (draft picks to shore up other areas of need so long as the initial cut does not result in drastic long-term inefficiency).

Right now, every team has a chance of winning the Super Bowl including the Browns. With that said, there are only a handful of teams who have a realistic chance of winning based upon their current roster and assuming their respective roster remains healthy throughout the season. History has shown that the Packers are not favorites to win the Super Bowl with their current culture...they honestly got lucky with Super Bowl 45. Do you want this team to continue down that trend of maybe getting lucky with Rodgers, or do you want to take a chance and have this team become perennial Super Bowl contenders without Rodgers?

The name of the game is process improvement. The one area that has remained constant throughout the Rodgers & McCarthy era is quarterback. A 10% success rate is abysmal. Something needs to change and it starts with the quarterback and head coach. Every sane business owner would agree with that so long as they are taking an analytical approach to the situation.

So now the Packers do have a chance of winning it with Rodgers? One post ago they had no chance.

Again though, not worth time to explain why he shouldn't be traded.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now the Packers do have a chance of winning it with Rodgers? One post ago they had no chance.

Again though, not worth time to explain why he shouldn't be traded.
As I stated, every team has a chance. HOWEVER, (as I also stated) they do not have a realistic chance of winning with the current team so long as Rodgers is under center.

If you have time to respond to my posts surely you have time to elaborate on why Rodgers should not be traded. I am honestly eager to hear your reasoning while weighing the pros and cons of such a decision.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
M M owns this now if changes are to be made its top down Super Bowls are the Kings now and with all the fan money invested, we are the market, that old if ain't fixed don't worry about it we'll just keep drafting has got to go,A-rod is getting the Deer in the headlight look, and teams will not be afraid to to go after him more and challenge every throw, no more woulda coulda post game excuses...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
As I stated, every team has a chance. HOWEVER, (as I also stated) they do not have a realistic chance of winning with the current team so long as Rodgers is under center.

If you have time to respond to my posts surely you have time to elaborate on why Rodgers should not be traded. I am honestly eager to hear your reasoning while weighing the pros and cons of such a decision.
Simple. Because finding a QB even close him is damn near impossible. Find a new OC before you find a new QB. Just look around the league and see how long it takes teams to find a half way decent QB.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on how it would be insane?
Because the problem is bigger than Rodgers alone?

Because trading him won't fix everything instantly?

Because it's just 2 games in what looks to be a fixable problem.

Because I doubt Callahan or any other QB would fare any better.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the season's eggs aren't in one basket; at least not in Week 2. The Packers have been here before: http://www.packershistory.net/2014PACKERS/GAME3.html.

It's most concerning because of the way last season went and we were expecting to see the offense back the way it used to be and the first two games are showing too much of the same again. While I wouldn't exactly say R-E-L-A-X I would advise W-A-I-T & S-E-E.

The Packers have four straight at Lambeau coming up and the next 9 games should produce a plethora of wins. If not, then it may be time to start thinking about burning down the barn.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talking about trading Rodgers is completely insane right now.
I agree. That's just knee jerk reaction.

That being said, I think Rodgers did not look good last night. I believe it's a combination of very poor play design/ play calling and Rodgers not playing very well. If they can't figure that out it will be another disappointing season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is looking like he is slowly regressing. Honestly, its not the OL a lot of the times, its him. He had time last night to throw on a lot of those throws. Its like hes looking to break the pocket and scramble-pass on every single play now on purpose. Rodgers has NEVER been a patient check-down QB. He wants the splash throw on every single throw.

By the way, i'm done blaming the OL for a lot of our problems until I see Rodgers change these habits.

I wonder how much of this is other teams finally have a rock solid handle on our offensive approach now? Are we too predictable? Run Pass Pass. Run Run Pass. You can expect that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has no Identity. Every team is starting to play us the same and they are having success. Press our receivers and bottle aaron in. We have no structure its like a miracle for the O to get a first down now every pass is contested every run now is darn near with a TE in the back field instead of a FB. We are putting randall cobb at RB like why?? I think MM is so confused hes making this game of football way harder then it needs to be.

Exactly, bump n run man up and down the line and the Packers spread ISO passing attack falls apart. Even when we do run bunch sets the receivers just run up field and not one runs a short pattern. The first problem is with the scheme itself, it's a weak scheme against modern nickel and dime defenses. The second problem is a refusal to adjust in game and go with what's working. In the second half Eddie Lacy was starting to run over and punish their defense, why did we keep going away from him? Yes he only put up 16 yards for 6 carries in the first half. But then he put 36 yards on 6 carries in the second half, how'd he only get 6 carries in a half in which he was averaging 6 ypc!?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is looking like he is slowly regressing. Honestly, its not the OL a lot of the times, its him. He had time last night to throw on a lot of those throws. Its like hes looking to break the pocket and scramble-pass on every single play now on purpose. Rodgers has NEVER been a patient check-down QB. He wants the splash throw on every single throw.

By the way, i'm done blaming the OL for a lot of our problems until I see Rodgers change these habits.

I wonder how much of this is other teams finally have a rock solid handle on our offensive approach now? Are we too predictable? Run Pass Pass. Run Run Pass. You can expect that.
The oline wasn't a problem last night. They had a bad play or 2, but overall they were pretty good against a good defense. I'm not taking away any blame for past failures though :) They've earned their criticism for that.

Rodgers did get better with a check down, 2014, Lacy had all sorts of yards and catches. Starks, we methodically moved the ball and hit big plays fairly often.

There's time to turn this around, but it has to start with not expecting 14 points on each play. 5-6 yards at a time works too, we don't always need 40. I'm hoping some is rust, because some of this is expected when you don't play together at all, but our QB's mindset has to change too. yards are yards. We don't need them all at once. you hit big plays when you've been setting them up. Quit forcing the issue all the time.

for a game and half this year our best offensive weapon has been the penalty. Without that, we lose in Jax and we would have had practically zero in the first half last night. I don't know why they took out Lacy just after he's getting going. Maybe time, field position, whatever. But we actually looked like we were starting to run a honest to goodness offense at times. It gives me hope anyway.

If we continue to play like this, we'll blow out easy teams, and lose against the better ones. But, if Rodgers learns a little patience again, MN isn't even on the field last night. Even with Bradford dropping a couple perfect passes last night. Digs is good, their defense is good, but they weren't as good as we made them look last night, and I'd hope our MVP led offense can overcome a good punter going forward. But that remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like Mondio already mentioned I believe a major reason for the offense struggling is that Rodgers is looking for a big play on every single passing down. It's fine to throw to receivers running underneath routes for less than 10 yards to move the ball. In addition those plays set up the deep throw.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Mondio already mentioned I believe a major reason for the offense struggling is that Rodgers is looking for a big play on every single passing down. It's fine to throw to receivers running underneath routes for less than 10 yards to move the ball. In addition those plays set up the deep throw.

How about a refusal to look at the running game as a way to actually score points and win football games. Eddie Lacy finished the first half with 16 yards on 6 carries, which means he put up 34 yards on 6 carries in the second half. How do you only get him the ball 6 times when he's running like that?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping they figured a little out in the second half when they had a 10 play, 10 play, 8 play, and 9 play drive. Somehow they only came away with 7 points in those! The packers put up 230 or so yards in the second half and scored 7 points. That is ridiculous. What is worse Minnesota put up just over 100 yards so we had double the amount of yards and didnt cut into their lead at all! Talking about not taking advantage of opportunities

Rodgers just looked uncomfortable and that is almost all on him - with a slight assist from abandoning the run for a while, and wrs still struggling to get separation consistently. The line did a good enough job. They did a lot better than the Vikings line but Bradford still made plays.

Here is why I wont move totally the the sky is falling section. We lost by 3 to a good football team, on the road, in a very emotional environment, while not even playing close to our best game. I dont leave that game thinking the Packers are way behind the Vikings. Seriously, hold on to the football and we win that game

On a positive man did the front 7 of the defense look good. How weird is that to say? Now I know the Vikings oline is terrible but the Packers dominated the line of scrimmage. AP had no room to run. Bradford was constantly under pressure. The secondary struggled for the second straight week. Seems like we cannot get both Randall and Rollins playing well at the same time. Also the zone looked very weak at times. Too many easy passes for Bradford (who also made some really tough ones).

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet you Sam Bradford looks like a joke this weekend. A week after we just made him look like a hall of famer. When will this team really stop teams on 3rd down?

This team needs a new offensive coordinator to give this offense a new look. It's time to make a change.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet you Sam Bradford looks like a joke this weekend. A week after we just made him look like a hall of famer. When will this team really stop teams on 3rd down?

This team needs a new offensive coordinator to give this offense a new look. It's time to make a change.
What good is a new OC when open underneath guys are overlooked and the QB audibles into new plays all the time?

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What good is a new OC when open underneath guys are overlooked and the QB audibles into new plays all the time?

Very true. Mr Happy Feet needs to take what the defense gives him instead of looking for 30 yard throws every time.

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is the problem. He is way to conservative in his play calling. We are constantly in 3rd and long situations. Where is Ty Montgomery? He is better that Adams in my opinion. Janis and Abbredaris should get some reps as well. We should be wearing out defenses with a fast paced offense and AR is snapping the ball with less than 5 sec left

D

Deleted member 6794

MM is the problem. He is way to conservative in his play calling. We are constantly in 3rd and long situations. Where is Ty Montgomery? He is better that Adams in my opinion. Janis and Abbredaris should get some reps as well. We should be wearing out defenses with a fast paced offense and AR is snapping the ball with less than 5 sec left

The Packers offense should actually play more conservative and not try to hit a big play on every single pass attempt.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol @ the idea of trading AR. I will say this though, he hasn't looked the same since the 2014 season. I don't know if his family/Olivia thing is playing a part, he doesn't trust his receivers anymore, or he's just trying way too hard not to throw an INT, but he's not even in the galaxy on some of his throws. The overthrows to me show a lack of trust in the idea that he doesn't have faith in his receivers to fight for the ball so he's making sure it's out of the defender's reach. He's tried so hard to be the anti-Favre and not throw a gamebreaking pick that he's missing out on opportunities (even though he threw one anyway last night, BEHIND his receiver).

I also have a problem with the play calling, our bread and butter used to be the quick and slant routes for big gains with blocking from the other receivers. Now it seems like its constantly deep ball, back shoulder ball, fade route. I was pleased to see a few more slants towards the end of the game while driving, but it seems like they try too hard for big gainers as opposed to consistent drives.

Also 4th and 2 and you run a run play from the shotgun so the RB has to get 6 yards instead of 2, genius.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts