1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

North Korea Attacks South Korea

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Mr. StyleZ, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    SKorea: NKorea fires artillery onto island
    (AP) – 1 hour ago

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea shot dozens of rounds of artillery onto a populated South Korean island near their disputed western border Tuesday, military officials said, setting buildings on fire and prompting South Korea to return fire and scramble fighter jets.

The skirmish came amid tension over North Korea's claim that it has a new uranium enrichment facility and just over a month after North Korean leader Kim Jong Il unveiled his youngest son Kim Jong Un as his heir apparent

South Korea's YTN television said two people were injured, several houses were on fire and shells were still falling on Yeonpyeong island. The station broadcast pictures of thick columns of black smoke rising from the island.

Yonhap news agency, quoting a military official, said four soldiers were wounded. President Lee Myung-bak ordered officials to make sure that the firing wouldn't escalate, according to Yonhap, quoting a presidential official. YTN said between 1,200 and 1,300 people live on the island, citing an island resident.

A South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff official said dozens of rounds of artillery landed on the island and in the sea. The official says South Korea fired back. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of JCS rules, said South Korea's military is on alert. He had no other details, and could not confirm the reports of casualties.

The firing comes amid tension over North Korea's claim that it has a new uranium enrichment facility and just over a month after North Korean leader Kim Jong Il unveiled his youngest son Kim Jong Un as his heir apparent.

Tensions between the two Koreas also remain tense after the sinking in March of a South Korean warship in which 46 sailors died. Seoul has blamed a North Korean torpedo, while Pyongyang has denied any responsibility.

The countries' western maritime boundary has long been a flash point between the two Koreas. The North does not recognize the border that was unilaterally drawn by the United Nations at the close of the 1950-53 Korean War.

North and South Korea have fought three bloody skirmishes near the maritime border in recent years, most recently in November 2009.

This seems to be getting big in a hurry. How big could this escalate?

[​IMG]

2. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    (Reuters) - China's tight bond with North Korea faced mounting pressure with the arrival on Tuesday of a U.S. envoy as Washington urges Beijing to use its influence over Pyongyang to curb its nuclear weapons ambitions.

The impoverished and isolated North depends heavily on its only major ally for economic and diplomatic support and its leader Kim Jong-il has visited China twice this year, in part to gain backing for the anointment of his son to eventually take over the family dynasty.

Those ties have become a sore-point with Washington after revelations that North Korea appears to have made big steps toward enriching uranium -- one pathway to making the fissile material needed for nuclear weapons -- possibly using technology that passed through or even originated in China.

A U.S. academic, Siegfried Hecker, who recently visited North Korea, said at the weekend that he had seen more than a thousand centrifuges for enriching uranium during a tour of the North's Yongbyon nuclear complex.

Sung Kim, a U.S. official dealing with North Korean issues, said in Washington D.C. on Monday that China's ties its chairing of stalled talks aimed at ending Pyongyang's nuclear weapons capability mean "they do have a special responsibility to deal with the challenges posed by North Korea."

The top U.S. envoy for the North Korean nuclear dispute, Stephen Bosworth, was due to travel from Tokyo to Beijing on Tuesday.

"Needless to say, we regard this development with great seriousness. We do not consider it a crisis but it is a very serious development," Bosworth told reporters in Tokyo.

"We believe that the North Koreans are in violation of a substantial number of international agreements that they have entered into and are in violation of U.N. council resolutions," he said.

North Korea has said it wants to restart six-party nuclear disarmament talks it abandoned two years ago. But Seoul and Washington have said the North must move forward with previous pledges to curtail its nuclear program.

China has urged returning to the nuclear disarmament negotiations but has also fended off calls from the U.S. and its regional allies to use it's vital food and energy aid to North Korea as a lever.

Beijing says Washington should be more flexible.
    In recent years, Beijing has sought to strengthen relations and increased aid and investment to its poor neighbor, which it sees as a strategic buffer against the U.S. and its regional allies.

In early May, Kim Jong-il visited China on his first trip abroad since 2006. He visited again in late August, ahead of the emergence of his son, Kim Jong-un, as the favoured successor in the dynastic one-party regime.

"With China accelerating the scale and scope of their bilateral capacity-building activities in North Korea, it's difficult to see any sense of urgency in Pyongyang to resume diplomacy with Washington," said John Park of the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington D.C. who studies ties between China and North Korea.

3. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I really hate North Korea. I hope we move in and go America all over everybody's ***.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +106
    I swear, that F'n country!
    Does anybody even benefit from their existence?

5. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    The U.S. can't do anything about it from what I see. They are protected by China, and China owns us with the trade deficit and the amount of U.S. debt they own. Without China, our dollar goes into the toilet. Along with the world economy.

U.S. is far from the superpower it was under Reagan. We sold that out to China for cheap goods and a happy ending. Oh , wait, only the CEOs with their short term profits and stock options got the happy ending.

Add in the nukes North Korea has that would decimate the south, plus our retaliation for it. What would China's response be to nukes going off next to their border?? It would just be a disaster for the world.

Nope, we'll just condemn the north and hope they don't do it again. Yeah, I'm pessimistic.

6. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Oh, I just heard Obama is going to give a speech as soon as they find the teleprompter. China called him earlier and they told him to "sit down and shut up!"

7. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    This has been brewing for a long time between North and South Korea. I hope they can find peace and learn to live next to each other. There looks to be war there, I hope the U.S. just stays out of it as much as possible. I really hope they don't start nuking the hell out of each other. It would take care of the problem but at what cost?

8. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    South Korea has no nukes. Pretty sure on that.

9. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    North Korea does, or at least that is what they are saying.

10. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    This whole situation really bothers me, both my grandparents were peacekeepers back in the 1950s outbreak in Korea.

It would be cruelly poetic if all-out war broke out there again, especially given that I would find myself forced to fight in a (likely) Global war (what with N.Korea's connection to China, China's beef with the US, and Canada's commitment to South Korea (since the war is still technically waging) and essentially find myself fighting my grandparents war 60 years after the fact :Worried:

And I WOULD feel strongly compelled to fight, despite being a pacifist at heart, given my grandparent's connections to South Korea, and the military history in my family (Two uncles have done service overseas, and my cousin came back from Afghanistan 2 years ago)

Stupid Koreas. FIGURE YOUR **** OUT ALREADY!

11. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Murgen is spot on.

After all, anyone that played or plays Fallout knows what happens when America and China face each other...

Damn, hate this situation. The only country that can do anything is China.

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I don't know about that.

They have enriched uranium, but how far are they I'm not sure.

13. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    China can't do anything to us. Think about it, they invested in us, they didn't just buy out our debt. If we go down, so do they. A major share of their assets is comprised of our debt and US companies that moved there. Honestly, they would only be hurting themselves by attacking us.

With that out of the way, someone needs to do something. NK can't just get away with whatever they want to because they're "belligerent" and might incite a nuclear attack. What's going to stop them from just firing a nuke at Seoul unprovoked anyways? I'm not saying that they're going to launch no matter what we do, I'm saying the leadership of that country has proven itself unstable and something needs to be done sooner rather than later if we want to minimize damages.

14. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    The prospects of war with North Korea is bad juju. Seriously. The act of open war with North Korea would not only alarm the Chinese, but the Russians as well. Not to say that the Russians would help or hurt the cause of the United Nations, but that is a lot of military power stirred up over a small area.
    As for the bombardment of that island, not cool. Yet North Korea does crap like that pretty often, its not really a new thing. It doesn't make mainstream media channels all the time, but folks who are on Active Duty in the military hear about it more frequently. I wouldn't be too worried unless North Korea did directly attack Seoul or something like that. Then all bets would be off.
    The whole nuclear weapons debate as to if North Korea has them or not really makes no difference. They are enriching uranium which tells me they do or are close to having them. Yet even without the specific know how of building atomic specific weapons, radioactive material is still a weapon. A chunk of radioactive material placed in an explosive device can still do tremendous nastiness. It is known as a dirty bomb. While it won't make the giant mushroom cloud and incinerate everything in the blast radius, it will spread bits of radioactive material all over the place. The spread is determined by the explosive device, the manner in which it is employed, and the amount of radioactive material. The effects of it physically aren't that dangerous. There have been tests done regarding this and decontamination is possible. The only real lethal danger is the explosive device itself. Yet it would cause a great deal of panic, mass hysteria, etc.

The bottom line in my mind is that the entire North Korea issue will come to a head sooner or later. I don't think it is just going to go away. I don't think our country is in a financial situation to fight two separate wars on two separate fronts. It would be a lot different than fighting Iraq and Afghanistan at the same time. I do feel however, that there are diplomatic solutions to this problem. If everyone would get on board that is.

15. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Nothing will happen, most likely. N. Korea sunk a S. Korean warship recently killing all the soldiers aboard... and nothing serious happened afterwards. In this incident, there were only a couple fatalities.

The war will continue to simmer, as it has since the late 50's when the major hostilities were calmed. As you may not know, the war has never ended. Both sides just got tired.

Closer to home, this news will quickly fade. As soon as Lindsey Lohan or some other person wanting their 15 minutes of fame does something stupid, American attention will be diverted back to what is really important.

16. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    China can't do anything to us, and we can't do anything to them. Not without a major disaster economically.

China is already secretly divesting itself of U.S. debt, as well as Japan. They also signed an agreement with Russia to trade in non-US currencies. Yeah, if China and the U.S. were at war or even got into a trade war both economies would be devastated as would the world's.

Therefore, only China can deal with N. Korea. And since they turn a blind eye, me personally, I try not to buy Chinese. Although that is getting harder and harder to do.

17. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Well, now that you told us, it's not a secret any more.

Just saying.

18. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    If there is a war, maybe it will inspire another half hour hit TV dramady about an army hospital with a laugh track and another couple of prankster doctors?
    (Except for those real special episodes dripping with drama to show just how bad war really sucks.)
    See? Good things do come from war.

19. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    And maybe that could also inspire a certain NFL team to move past their injuries to become SB champions???????