Noah Herron - A Bright Spot !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
by Nathan Hager, Packers.com
posted 10/08/2006

Coming into Sunday's contest versus the Rams, Noah Herron didn't know if he was going to get one carry or 10 carries. For that matter, he didn't know if he was going to get any carries.

And he didn't really care.

Whatever role the second-year man out of Northwestern had was going to be up to the coaches. He just wanted to make sure that if Head Coach Mike McCarthy and the rest of team depended on him, he was going to be as prepared as he possibly could to answer the call.

After 20 carries, 106 yards, and a touchdown, it's safe to say Herron came through not only in preparing as if he was a starter, but also performing like one as well.

With Ahman Green scratched from the lineup for the second straight week with sore hamstrings, Vernand Morency got the starting nod. However, after two fumbles early in the game, one of which the Packers lost, Herron received the bulk of the work for the rest of the afternoon and he didn't disappoint.

"I thought Noah played extremely well," McCarthy said. "There are so many little things that he does outside of running the football. He's a very heady football player. He took full advantage of an excellent opportunity and he cashed in.

"In fact, I wish I would have gotten him the ball more."

Herron notched the first 100-yard effort of his career, but he admitted that it's just not the same when it comes in a loss.

"It was nice but I'd exchange the victory for it," Herron said. "It's always a good career mark, but at the same time we want to win. Individual stats don't really matter if you get a loss."

According to Herron, the guys up front made his big day possible.

"We were just in good rhythm rushing the ball today," he said. "It's a credit to our O-line. They played great. Week to week, they're getting better and better and it's really starting to show. The holes are getting bigger and the timing between the backs and line is coming together."

Perhaps the most impressive aspect to Herron's day isn't that he racked up plenty of yards and a score, but that he did it when coming into the day, there was a possibility that Green would play, which would have made Herron the No. 3 back.

The fact that it didn't change his mindset or his approach to the game is a testament to Herron's character as well.

"You always prepare to be the guy each week," Herron said. "I think all three of us...obviously Ahman is the guy, but Vernard and I do a good job of preparing so that if A.G. doesn't go, we're ready to go.

"It's just one of those things where you have a role. It changes week to week and you never really know. This week I didn't really anticipate this, but at the same time, you've got to be prepared for when your name is called to carry the load. Vern did it last week, I did it this week. A.G. has been doing it for years. As a running back, that's kind of what you want. You want your number to be called like that."

And even if Green had played and Morency received the rest of the carries as his backup, Herron made it clear that he wasn't going to concern himself with such matters.

"I wasn't worried about it," he said. "The running backs as a group have to stick together. You need more than one and all three of us so far have carried the load in separate games.

"It's something that you don't wish any ill will. When they call your number you just have to go out there and perform."

Based on Sunday's performance, you know that Herron will answer that call when given the chance.

Psycho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good advice:

don't put too much into Herron's 100-yard performance against the rams

always remember that this was the same rams D which allowed Detroit'S Kevin Jones (who had 8 yards on 10 carries yesterday) to rush for 93 yards !!!

so although he rushed for 100 yards on us - he's still nothing more than an OK backup

yes - our run D is that bad :-?

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
psycho = official bubble burster!! ;)

anyway, i'm looking at it in a totally positive light. herron was close to unstoppable yesterday & was a key reason we made alot of scores. can't take that game away from him that easy, psycho. :D

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not bursting herrons bubble.. but i am patting the Oline on the back.

three different rushers with close to 100 yard games so far. 2 straight games without a sack. I mean for all the fuss during the offseason about how bad we needed an o-line. and how brett favre was gonna get killed. They sure do look way more solid than anyone could have predicted in week 5. Thats a testament to Jags and McCarthy. overall you gotta be at least a little happy with the play of our O-line right now.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herron was awesome IMO,,,he was a bright spot on the team yesterday...also our offense played okay,,Favre wasnt sacked once, got hit a few times..I think our problems are in the secondary..

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice performance yesterday, by an average NFL player. However, if the line is really getting the hang of the zone blocking scheme, we can have an effective running game with an average back.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Herron is a better fit than Green. Green has slowed down and if he can't get back to full speed, Herron should be the starter in my opinion. We'll see but I believe he at least earned more carries with his play.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herron did a solid job and earned his opportunity.

As mentioned before though, it wouldn't have been possible without some good play from the OL. I've been down on these guys this year, but they are starting to come together. They made some great holes making it easy for any RB.

Herron is a solid player and will continue to provide good depth for our team.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herron was decent and did the most he could with the opportunity he was given, but he'll never be anything special in this league. Some of those 15+ yard runs would have gone for 60 and a TD if Herron was truly a playmaker.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Herron's 100 yard game shows how effective the zone blocking scheme can be.

If Denver can get 100 yard games outta 6th rounders and undrafted FA's then so can the Packers.

A big name RB is a luxury but no a neccessity for us.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've gotta agree with Tiger. If Morency can get close to 100 and Herron can get over 100 then maybe the line is picking up the zone blocking.

We'll have to watch the next few games.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i think it is the line improving.

i can see consistent 100 yard games in the future. This could be a good fit for ted thompson. He likes to go deep in drafts. If he can pull some decent RBs in the late rounds. plug them into this system and let them have great years behind the zone blocking. Then we can do what Denver does now and start trading away 1000 yard runners for other things we need.

Latest posts