No Picks for the Pack in Supplemental draft

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Just as well, they both went a little higher than expected.

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Supplement this
Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver and Maryland tackle Jared Gaither were the only players selected in today's NFL supplemental draft.

Oliver went to the San Diego Chargers in Round 4, while Gaither went to the Baltimore Ravens in Round 5.

Before you start griping about Packers General Manager Ted Thompson's unwillingness to get in the bidding, remember this: the rookie salary pool doesn't change if a team adds a player in the supplemental draft. (Tip of the cap to the Boston Globe's Mike Reiss for that reminder.)

That means the Packers, already somewhat strapped by trying to match a $4.907 million cap to an 11-man draft class and a crop of undrafted free agents, would have to try to cram another player under there. Since their top three picks are unsigned, using even a mid-round selection could complicate matters.

Signing one of the players who declared and weren't taken would be less of a burden, since the team could swap him in for another camp body.

Reaction score
I thought Oliver was a possibility, but with us signing Walker I didn't really expect Ted to seriously pursue him.

I'm just getting a bit impatient with the draft pick signings.... COME ON!

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
could som1 explain the supplemental draft to me?

No Problem, the supplemental draft is held for college kids that didn't qualify for the normal draft in April mostly because they didn't declare in time for the annual draft. All the same rules apply as the normal draft as far as NFL eligiblity. If the player isn't selected by any team then that said player is available as a undrafted free agent.

Most of the time the kids are ineligible for classes at the U they are attending and in the final year of college eligiblity. Thus they would have to sit out a full year before the next draft, So the NFL allows each team the right to select the kids just like in the normal draft.

Mike Wahle was a draft pick many years ago for the Packers.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I ever expected in a million years that TT would use up any of next year's draft picks by taking supplemental players, I still would have liked to see him draft a few more guys this year. I mean, there has to be a record somewhere for most players drafted in a given year, I think we should go for it! :thumbsup:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z is giving the official polite version.

Almost all who declare for supplemental draft have screwed up in some way. They get kicked off teams for drugs or criminal activity or they screw up declaring for the draft due incompetent agent or no agent.

Virtually none become successes in the NFL. Mike Wahle is the exception.
He was kicked out of the Naval Academy for using steroids. Wahle had to show considerable character to become a Midshipman. Wolf saw something in him that Packer fans did not.

By having a supplement after the regular draft the picks used are next years draft picks. However, they are done by secret bid and the highest draft pick spent gets the player. Highest by round and the 2007 draft order.

Really it is not important unless the scouting staff has a belief in a guy.
Few of them are worthy of being chosen.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I ever expected in a million years that TT would use up any of next year's draft picks by taking supplemental players, I still would have liked to see him draft a few more guys this year. I mean, there has to be a record somewhere for most players drafted in a given year, I think we should go for it! :thumbsup:

The Packers tied for 2nd most draftees in 2005 and had the most in 2006 and 2007. In the last 3 drafts there has been the highest quantity of draft picks in the league by a wide margin.

The supplement just does not have the quality that the 2008 draft will have and with a secret bid you can easily overate players as those who took supplemental players did.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just as well, they both went a little higher than expected.

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml
Before you start griping about Packers General Manager Ted Thompson's unwillingness to get in the bidding, remember this: the rookie salary pool doesn't change if a team adds a player in the supplemental draft.

Using that link, he updated it with correct information about the Salary Pool being adjusted.

THE REAL MEDIA WAS WR-WR-WR-INCORRECT ABOUT SUPPLEMENTAL ROOKIE POOL

Several readers have asked us to address the conflict between our Thursday night report that the teams who exercise picks in the supplemental draft will receive additional space in their rookie salary pool to account for the extra pick and reports from the "real" media indicating that any team that uses a supplemental pick must find a way to pay the guy from their current allocation.

Our response to the e-mails we received on this topic was simple: "We're right and they're wrong."

Tom Pelissero of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that, indeed, the others (including our pal Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com) were mistaken to suggest that no extra rookie allocation would flow to teams adding more picks via the supplemental pool of players.

As NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Pelissero (man, this business attracts a lot of Eye-talians), "The amount is equal to the formula allotment for the corresponding choice in that league year's college draft. In the subsequent league year, after formula allotments have been established for each selection position in the college draft, the amount of the formula allotment for the selection used in the prior year's supplemental draft is deducted from the club's rookie allocation."

The rule reflects basic common sense. Really, why in the hell would anyone think that any other rule applied? If you use a 2008 pick now, then you receive an extra rookie pool allocation in order to get the pick signed. Since you also lose the corresponding 2008 pick, the total allocation is necessarily lower in 2008.

The other rule (i.e., the incorrect one) would potentially force teams who intend to pick a guy in round one of the supplemental draft to relinquish the rights to one or more draft picks in order to get the supplemental first-rounder signed.

With all that said, the team that uses one or more supplemental picks still must comply with the overall salary cap; the availability of additional rookie pool space does not result in additional cap room.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts