1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No one scapegoat for Packers' lack of playmakers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great post, I pointed out the NE draft pick thing awhile ago.

3. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I found it interesting as well. What I feel should have been added to accurately compare the teams is what picks and moves were made in the first two years of each GM with the current head coach.

If you draft well in 01 your draft class in year 03 will have less of a chance to make the team.

This is still a good post, but the information provided is limited to favor the direction of the authors percpetion. Atleast thats what I gather from the first time reading it.

Steelers and Patriots have been together for quite some time under the same HC and GM. So comparing their draft picks with the Packers who are udner a second year GM and first year HC is a bit unfair in my view. You can the Packers are using their method to build their team. But to knock them because they aren't showing the similar success as the Patriots and Steelers right now is jus not fair.

4. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Zero with the draft pick thing.

As far as the Steelers and Patriots go I don't bring them up but use it as a response to people who say we are building a similar way. This is simply not the case. We are building the way most other organizations do. Through the draft and FA. Using the Patriots as an example however is poor because the Patriots have brought in plenty of bigger Free Agents along the way and don't rely as heavily on the draft as most try to point out. There are alot better comparisons out there and a number ofthem are not contending teams. There is no RIGHT formula.

It comes down to the effectiveness of the players you bring in, whether it be FA, Street FA's, or Draft Picks. This is where I think Ted and the GB organization is missing the boat and a big reason why I am critical. I don't like the fact that young guys are just thrown into the mix without being developed. Most teams only do this with kids that are ready, most of the time, first round guys. Ted drafts very Raw talent and tries to implant them right away which leads to a team which is very frustrating to watch. It also can lead to division within the team.

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    What free agents were big name? I know Corey Dillion was a pretty big name, but wasn't that a trade? I think their free agents just panned out better and became 'big names' with the Patriots. I have no evidenceo nthat, pure speculation on my part.

I 100% agree with there is no RIGHT formula. If there was we'd have 32 teams in line for the championship. There are WRONG forumalas which I think are being executed flawlessy by Matt Millen.

6. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Rodney Harrison was brought in. Corey Dillon, Tyrone Poole, Ted Washington as well.

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Ahh yes Rodney, I bet the Chargers are still kicking themselves for that one. They thought he was over the hill. lol good move!

Dillon was acquired via trade I think they gave up a 2nd rd? *** edit, it was a 2nd rounder to the bengals who drafted Madieu Williams S Maryland 56th overall

Tryone Poole, he was considered a bust as Panther, wasnt he? I remember reading a piece on him resurrecting his career with the Patriots.

Washington he was a stud all around.

8. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    .... this thread brings a tear to my eye...

*BIG HUG* moment.

Actually though it was interesting to point out that if any other team were to have the WRs of the Pats (ANY team, not just the Packers), then the GM would be blasted and have his head called for. However since its the Pats, their proven track record gives them a less of a trshing then they should get for putting such a terrible tandem of WRs around Brady, especially since he is entering his prime.

Just thought that was somethign very interesting.