No one scapegoat for Packers' lack of playmakers

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Posted: Sept. 26, 2006

Cliff Christl

Green Bay - In case any of you missed it, Javon Walker caught three passes for 130 yards and scored the two touchdowns that allowed Denver to beat Bill Belichick's New England Patriots Sunday night. A week earlier, it was a reception by Walker that set up Denver's winning field goal in an overtime victory over Kansas City.

The big plays covered 24, 32 and 83 yards. The 24-yarder against the Chiefs came against Ty Law, a Pro Bowl cornerback last year. The 83-yarder against the Patriots came against double coverage.

Three weeks into the season, the Broncos appear to be one of several teams with a legitimate shot at winning the Super Bowl and Walker has emerged as their biggest playmaker.

Advertisement

Those who feel it necessary to blame Mike Sherman for all that ails the Green Bay Packers shouldn't lose sight of that.

It was Sherman who traded up to select Walker with the 20th selection in the 2002 draft. It was Walker's emergence as a playmaker late in 2003 that gave the Packers a real chance at winning their first Super Bowl in six years.

It was the receiving combination of Walker and Donald Driver - they combined for 173 catches, more than 2,500 yards and 21 touchdowns - that allowed Brett Favre to finish with a 30-17 touchdown-to-interception ratio and the Packers to win another division title in 2004, despite a defensive collapse that led to the team's lowest ranking in 21 years.

It was under current general manager Ted Thompson's watch that Walker first threatened a holdout over his contract and then became so disenchanted with the organization, in addition to a personal clash with Favre, that he demanded to be traded and threatened to become a cancer within the locker room if he wasn't.

Of all the players the Packers have lost through free agency or been forced to trade in recent years, Walker was the one who left the biggest hole and probably would have had the biggest impact had he stayed.

In a league where quarterbacks and playmakers matter most, Walker was the only young playmaker on the Packers' roster.

Had he not been lost for the season with a knee injury in last year's opener, he might have made enough plays to win enough of the eight games that the Packers lost by a touchdown or less to keep them in playoff contention.

This year, how much more explosive might the Packers be if they had a receiving corps of Walker, Driver and rookie Greg Jennings? How much would their mere presence in a three wide receiver set open up the running game? How much better would Favre be?

Thompson traded Walker for a second-round draft pick. He parlayed that choice into five picks. Those players turned out to be Daryn Colledge, Will Blackmon, Ingle Martin, Johnny Jolly and Tyrone Culver.

Does anybody believe that it will ever turn out to be an even exchange?

The intent here isn't to blame only Thompson for the current state of the Packers. Or to even second-guess him for the trade. The circumstances involving the Walker mess might have been largely unavoidable and, in the end, trading him might have been the Packers' only recourse.

Nor is the intent here to absolve Sherman of his role in the Packers' decline since the start of last season. His obsession with trying to find the one or two players who might have put the Packers over the top and allowed them to win another Super Bowl while Favre was still in his prime backfired. By trading too many picks during the three years that he ran the draft, Sherman was at least partly responsible for the erosion of the Packers' infrastructure. And as a result, they are not only short on playmakers, but also solid starters.

But Thompson's at fault, too.

He chose to let Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera, Darren Sharper and Ryan Longwell go.

Think about it. How much better would the Packers look on paper with Walker, Wahle and Sharper? Then again, they might only have been good enough to tread water - another two, three years of 10-6 finishes and early exits from the playoffs - before the bottom fell out.

Maybe Thompson's approach will hasten the Packers' rebuilding efforts. After all, it was inevitable after going 13 years without a losing season that the organization would have to rebuild at some point. That's just how the system works in the NFL.

So why not sooner than later?

In truth, neither Thompson nor Sherman is more to blame than the other. Considering he never drafted higher than 20th, Sherman did well with his three first-round picks: Walker, Nick Barnett and Ahmad Carroll. That's a better track record than Ron Wolf ever had over a three-year period with his first-round selections.

It was Sherman who drafted perhaps the Packers' two best defensive players: Aaron Kampman and Barnett. If Walker hadn't been traded, he'd probably be the Packers' best offensive player.

But, you say, Sherman's picks from the second round on down were a disaster?

That's true to an extent.

Besides Kampman, only Scott Wells is starting. Corey Williams is a solid reserve.

But let's go back to Denver and New England, two teams with two of the most respected GM-head coaches in the game: Mike Shanahan and Belichick.

Do you know how many players on Denver's roster Sunday night were taken in rounds two through seven from 2002-'04 drafts? Two and only one starter, running back Tatum Bell. Another, Clinton Portis, was traded for Denver's standout corner Champ Bailey.

You know how many from those drafts played for New England in that game? Five, four of them from the 2003 draft. But only three started: Safety Eugene Wilson, center Dan Koppen and cornerback Asante Samuel. One other, Deion Branch, was recently traded for a first-round draft pick.

True, Belichick and Shanahan drafted better than Sherman over that three-year span, but not by much. And they each had a top 20 pick in that period.

So if you feel compelled to play the blame game at least spread the blame around.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Great post, I pointed out the NE draft pick thing awhile ago.

I found it interesting as well. What I feel should have been added to accurately compare the teams is what picks and moves were made in the first two years of each GM with the current head coach.

If you draft well in 01 your draft class in year 03 will have less of a chance to make the team.

This is still a good post, but the information provided is limited to favor the direction of the authors percpetion. Atleast thats what I gather from the first time reading it.

Steelers and Patriots have been together for quite some time under the same HC and GM. So comparing their draft picks with the Packers who are udner a second year GM and first year HC is a bit unfair in my view. You can the Packers are using their method to build their team. But to knock them because they aren't showing the similar success as the Patriots and Steelers right now is jus not fair.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point Zero with the draft pick thing.

As far as the Steelers and Patriots go I don't bring them up but use it as a response to people who say we are building a similar way. This is simply not the case. We are building the way most other organizations do. Through the draft and FA. Using the Patriots as an example however is poor because the Patriots have brought in plenty of bigger Free Agents along the way and don't rely as heavily on the draft as most try to point out. There are alot better comparisons out there and a number ofthem are not contending teams. There is no RIGHT formula.

It comes down to the effectiveness of the players you bring in, whether it be FA, Street FA's, or Draft Picks. This is where I think Ted and the GB organization is missing the boat and a big reason why I am critical. I don't like the fact that young guys are just thrown into the mix without being developed. Most teams only do this with kids that are ready, most of the time, first round guys. Ted drafts very Raw talent and tries to implant them right away which leads to a team which is very frustrating to watch. It also can lead to division within the team.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Using the Patriots as an example however is poor because the Patriots have brought in plenty of bigger Free Agents along the way and don't rely as heavily on the draft as most try to point out. There is no RIGHT formula.

What free agents were big name? I know Corey Dillion was a pretty big name, but wasn't that a trade? I think their free agents just panned out better and became 'big names' with the Patriots. I have no evidenceo nthat, pure speculation on my part.

I 100% agree with there is no RIGHT formula. If there was we'd have 32 teams in line for the championship. There are WRONG forumalas which I think are being executed flawlessy by Matt Millen.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Using the Patriots as an example however is poor because the Patriots have brought in plenty of bigger Free Agents along the way and don't rely as heavily on the draft as most try to point out. There is no RIGHT formula.

What free agents were big name? I know Corey Dillion was a pretty big name, but wasn't that a trade? I think their free agents just panned out better and became 'big names' with the Patriots. I have no evidenceo nthat, pure speculation on my part.

I 100% agree with there is no RIGHT formula. If there was we'd have 32 teams in line for the championship. There are WRONG forumalas which I think are being executed flawlessy by Matt Millen.

Rodney Harrison was brought in. Corey Dillon, Tyrone Poole, Ted Washington as well.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Rodney Harrison was brought in. Corey Dillon, Tyrone Poole, Ted Washington as well.

Ahh yes Rodney, I bet the Chargers are still kicking themselves for that one. They thought he was over the hill. lol good move!

Dillon was acquired via trade I think they gave up a 2nd rd? *** edit, it was a 2nd rounder to the bengals who drafted Madieu Williams S Maryland 56th overall

Tryone Poole, he was considered a bust as Panther, wasnt he? I remember reading a piece on him resurrecting his career with the Patriots.

Washington he was a stud all around.

Reaction score
.... this thread brings a tear to my eye...

*BIG HUG* moment.

Actually though it was interesting to point out that if any other team were to have the WRs of the Pats (ANY team, not just the Packers), then the GM would be blasted and have his head called for. However since its the Pats, their proven track record gives them a less of a trshing then they should get for putting such a terrible tandem of WRs around Brady, especially since he is entering his prime.

Just thought that was somethign very interesting.