No Offer?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This somewhat disturbs me. I thought I read the Packers made and offer similar or even more than the Colts with the deciding factor being a Dome team.
But after talks between Vinatieri and the Patriots failed to produce a new contract and a visit to the Green Bay Packers didn't bring an offer, the Colts moved quickly to work out a deal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/f ... index.html

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I don't know for sure......but it doesn't really matter now. He picked "them" over "us."

For my perception of what our effort was to get him, it does matter. I thought that was obvious when I stated what I thought vs what I posted :p

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:
I don't know for sure......but it doesn't really matter now. He picked "them" over "us."

For my perception of what our effort was to get him, it does matter. I thought that was obvious when I stated what I thought vs what I posted :p

No offer? I agree with zero. Maybe TT asked what offers he already had, then said "see ya". The perception portrayed by the press was that he chose Indy over GB because he wanted to play indoors. The Packers let us believe this also.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one sentence in an article that had nothing to do with GB(except that one sentence) sure is getting people fired up.

That sentence could also be an error. Al Harris was rumored to be holding out, according to the A.P. and that turned out to be wrong.

If that articles focus was on GB, it would be more believable. It just mentioned GB in passing, and that could easily be false.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
one sentence in an article that had nothing to do with GB(except that one sentence) sure is getting people fired up.

That sentence could also be an error. Al Harris was rumored to be holding out, according to the A.P. and that turned out to be wrong.

If that articles focus was on GB, it would be more believable. It just mentioned GB in passing, and that could easily be false.

'sigh'

Hence, why i posted this asking for confirmation either way.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you...didnt ask a question in either of your posts. :crazy:

there's nothing anyone can do regardless. We're stuck with the 'cundiff vs the field' situation.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Wisconsin Journal Sentiel, not AP :)

tromadz said:
you...didnt ask a question in either of your posts. :crazy:

there's nothing anyone can do regardless. We're stuck with the 'cundiff vs the field' situation.

Okay, then I am asking now!

Did we give Adam Vineteri and offer? If so, what was it? If not, why didn't we?

Who knows? Anyone? Know one? Any (other than me) even care?

I think it matters tremendously whether we offered him a contract or not.

IF we did and he chose the Colts, why?
  • A, Dome?
    B, Brett indecision?
    C, Contract intangibles?

IF we didnt, why not?
  • A, Unimpressive to the Packers?
    B, Too much cash required?
    C, His age? (Jus how old is Adam anyhow?)
    D, Packers too confident in the offense that they don't need a Kicker?
    E, Packers think they're going to be blown out every game so 3 points wont matter?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know.

These people say one thing, other people say another. Bottom line is we don't know. Until we hear from mccarthy or TT about it, there's nothing we can do about it.

I'd like to know the truth myself.

Until then, all I(personally) can do is focus on 'Cundiff vs. the field'

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is some of what I found..While some sites claimed no offer was made, these sites make it known that an offer was made...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... _patriots/

The Packers appeared to be front-runners for Vinatieri and were prepared to make him the highest-paid kicker after allowing their own free agent, Ryan Longwell, to sign a four-year, $8 million deal with a $3 million bonus with the Vikings. But the Packers never got a chance to match or trump Indianapolis's offer, nor apparently did the Patriots.

Vinatieri hit it off with new Packers coach Mike McCarthy in his visit. The kicker also renewed acquaintances with his former agent, Andrew Brandt, now the Packers' vice president who negotiates deals. Everything pointed to a good fit, including the fact that Vinatieri is the best cold-weather kicker in the league. But while dealing with Hurst, the Packers weren't able to pinpoint what Vinatieri wanted in a contract.

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=409828

By most accounts it is the richest deal ever for a kicker, surpassing the five-year, $10 million contract (including a $3 million signing bonus) former Packer Ryan Longwell recently signed with the Minnesota Vikings. The Packers are thought to have offered more to Vinatieri than what Longwell received but not as much as the Colts.

"I would think that kicking indoors had something to do with his decision," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

Asked if the Packers made a competitive offer, McCarthy said: "Oh absolutely.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well thats good enough for me then, when coach McCarthy said they not only made an offer, but a COMPETITIVE offer.

and this thread can now die a painless death. . .

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
This is some of what I found..While some sites claimed no offer was made, these sites make it known that an offer was made...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... _patriots/

The Packers appeared to be front-runners for Vinatieri and were prepared to make him the highest-paid kicker after allowing their own free agent, Ryan Longwell, to sign a four-year, $8 million deal with a $3 million bonus with the Vikings. But the Packers never got a chance to match or trump Indianapolis's offer, nor apparently did the Patriots.

Vinatieri hit it off with new Packers coach Mike McCarthy in his visit. The kicker also renewed acquaintances with his former agent, Andrew Brandt, now the Packers' vice president who negotiates deals. Everything pointed to a good fit, including the fact that Vinatieri is the best cold-weather kicker in the league. But while dealing with Hurst, the Packers weren't able to pinpoint what Vinatieri wanted in a contract.

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=409828

By most accounts it is the richest deal ever for a kicker, surpassing the five-year, $10 million contract (including a $3 million signing bonus) former Packer Ryan Longwell recently signed with the Minnesota Vikings. The Packers are thought to have offered more to Vinatieri than what Longwell received but not as much as the Colts.

"I would think that kicking indoors had something to do with his decision," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

Asked if the Packers made a competitive offer, McCarthy said: "Oh absolutely."
Okay, thank you. I feel a bit better now. (time to find that person who wrote the article that had me going!!)

tromadz said:
well thats good enough for me then, when coach McCarthy said they not only made an offer, but a COMPETITIVE offer.

and this thread can now die a painless death. . .

Ooh, sorry. Yes it must die for the thread starter was not named 'tromadz' :p

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was surprising that this topic appeared on PF on May 21st. I seem to remember this was "all hash out" on PF when Longwell signed a contract with Vikings, so he could kick in dome in Mn. Then Vitnateri was available, the Packers talk to him, made him an competitive offer and He choose Indy over the Packer.s

So Vinateri ,as Ryan Longwell did ,chose to kick in a dome and Vanderjagk of Colts chose a warmer climate with stadium with hole in their roof in Dallas. All three kickers are over thirty.

Always cross check your sources before you believe anything. One source does not make it a fact. Make sure the reporter has references to back up his story,like quotes from team officials etc.

I remember posting at the time of Packer FG kicker search was going on, this was nothing new in a story about veteran FG kicker going to a dome or warmer weather climate to kick, over a cold weather franchise.

Between 1980 -1983, there was 14 year (long time K.C Chiefs ) Veteran NFL Fg kicker Jan Stenerud, who kicked in Green Bay. Stenerud was in his late 30's when he came here to Green Bay. Stenerud still proved to be excellent kicker for his time in Green Bay, His Green Bay contract expired and Jan signed with The MN. Vikings to extend his kicking career a few more years, because he could Kick in a dome.

A FG kicker in his last years does what he has to do to keep collecting those big contracts for a little longer. He trys to find a Team with warm weather or dome conditions to give him a big contract.

Members online

Latest posts