No offensive linemen

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read the list of players that Teddy brought in to look at this week.
They were all wide receivers and defensive backs. Granted we need help virtually everywhere, but no where more than the offensive line.

I can't believe there is not any o-linemen out there that Teddy could at least look at. If he brought in a warm body it would at least look like he cares about the OL.

We have NO depth up front and now if Spitz can't play that means that College will start and he is the back up for 2 if not 4 positions.
So now who backs him up.

What the he77 is going on in Green Bay!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that, he even brought in a QB. I hope that new guy we picked up last week, the "Piano" Tony Palmer, will be ready to go. Who else do we have...Chris White. We really do not have many guys to spell each other in the course of the game. I knew the Kevin Barry injury would bite us in the ***. The problem is by the time they find a guy and bring him in we'll still be at least 2 weeks away from using them in order to get them half way up to speed. Let's face it, since the release of Wahle and Rivera, they have done very little to get a quality line built. What's the most frustrating is that everyone knows in football, the game is won in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. In this area, we are average on the D side and below average on the O side. I hope they can get it done, but it's been 2 years. It's not like they have to find Bigfoot...just some decent DL and OL.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calicheesehead said,
Let's face it, since the release of Wahle and Rivera, they have done very little to get a quality line built. What's the most frustrating is that everyone knows in football, the game is won in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. In this area, we are average on the D side and below average on the O side. I hope they can get it done, but it's been 2 years. It's not like they have to find Bigfoot...just some decent DL and OL.

Hell, sign Bigfoot if you have to. Anybody. It's time to address the O-Line situation TT and get some bodies in there!

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simply put, you dont find any good o-lineman off the scrap heap. If there were any good FA's out there, they're gone by this point. Lineman are very, very valuable and you rarely see any with potential out there for the taking. When they get there, they go fast. At this point, barring some major trade, I dont think you can upgrade the O-line. WR's and stuff sometimes benefit from a change of scenery or a new system, so some reclamation projects can be successful. You pretty much know what you have when you look at a guard or tackle. Anyone good is far gone at this point.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many teams run a zone scheme? About 3 or 4. Kinda limits the people you might look at when the vast majority of teams, and the subsequent linemen they cut, run the gap scheme. Well, now...wouldn't that be a good fit...a gap player in a zone scheme!!

TT has done little to improve the line? How many O-linemen has he drafted in the last 2 off-seasons? That would be 5 or 6. Simply put, TT has decided that, due to the dearth of zone line talent in FA, he will bring in younger players and develop them in the system as opposed to forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Let's talk in 2 years when some of this talent matures. Then again, half the people screaming about our line now are probably the same people who wrote Wahle off when he failed at tackle....only to mature into a top flight guard.

OP
OP
Y

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
you can have the entire starting O-Line of teh Raidahhs, including former 1st round pick Robert Gallery if you like.

Thanks but no thanks RP that line is probably more of a disaster than what the Packer backup situation is now.
Gallery has nice hair though. LOL :roll:

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
Simply put, you dont find any good o-lineman off the scrap heap. If there were any good FA's out there, they're gone by this point. Lineman are very, very valuable and you rarely see any with potential out there for the taking. When they get there, they go fast. At this point, barring some major trade, I dont think you can upgrade the O-line. WR's and stuff sometimes benefit from a change of scenery or a new system, so some reclamation projects can be successful. You pretty much know what you have when you look at a guard or tackle. Anyone good is far gone at this point.

This excuse, and the one that digs made about not finding an o-lineman that "fits the system" has been used for 12 months now as to why TT has not found anyone to replace two rookies on the squad.

It is what it is--an excuse, and I don't buy it. TT said that guards were expendible and didn't act, and now he's finding that he made a major mistake in that area--and the GB Packers and Brett Favre are paying for it. You can't tell me that in 6 months TT couldn't have found a decent veteran or two to sign to the team.

Hell, I think he should have at least kept Ruegamer at center and moved Wells to guard. Or if he would have signed Wahle in '05, they wouldn't be having these problems now.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's wait two or three years, I have the time, I only hope Brett gets out before he gets killed.
When A. Rogers replaces him and goes the route of so many young talented qb's who have no protection, hopefully we have drafted someone who can run for their lives so they will survive.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether you wish to admit it or not, we ARE rebuilding.....and with that comes a big infusion of youth. Why is this so hard to grasp....we are not 1 or 2 or even 5 players away from a playoff push.....kinda premature to invest heavily in FAs when a team has the option to develop young players to maturity to coincide with the team's rise to playoff caliber.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Whether you wish to admit it or not, we ARE rebuilding.....and with that comes a big infusion of youth. Why is this so hard to grasp....we are not 1 or 2 or even 5 players away from a playoff push.....kinda premature to invest heavily in FAs when a team has the option to develop young players to maturity to coincide with the team's rise to playoff caliber.

Well..that's the idea, or the wish. But what if it doesn't happen that way?

Another way to look at it would have been for TT to take the two years that he's been here and at least build the o-line to protect Favre and establish a running game. And then sign another quality veteran receiver. Not too hard right? Not too expensive, and it could have been done easily, instead of giving Woodson all that money, for instance.

Then TT would have had plenty of time and $$ to rebuild the defense.

This way, at least you give your offense a fighting chance with Brett Favre at the helm to win some games now, no? Perhaps take them to the playoffs--cause he's done all those past years already.

Makes alot more sense to do it that way then to start rookies that you don't know if they will pan out or not, thereby wasting a few years, and the end of Favre's career, while you're at it.

OP
OP
Y

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
How many teams run a zone scheme? About 3 or 4. Kinda limits the people you might look at when the vast majority of teams, and the subsequent linemen they cut, run the gap scheme. Well, now...wouldn't that be a good fit...a gap player in a zone scheme!!

TT has done little to improve the line? How many O-linemen has he drafted in the last 2 off-seasons? That would be 5 or 6. Simply put, TT has decided that, due to the dearth of zone line talent in FA, he will bring in younger players and develop them in the system as opposed to forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Let's talk in 2 years when some of this talent matures. Then again, half the people screaming about our line now are probably the same people who wrote Wahle off when he failed at tackle....only to mature into a top flight guard.

At this point he is not bringing in any players younger or not for a tryout.
What if one of our O-lineman gets hurt this week.
The point is there is no depth in the OL.

And I understand that because the Z-blocking scheme isn't used by many teams that there aren't many lineman in the unemployment line that could be brought in and be expected to contribute.

By implementing the Zone scheme in one fell swoop I think the GM and headcoach out thought themselves on what personnel they had and what would be available if what they had wasn't working out.

The consequences of this lack of forward thinking are on the verge of being disastrous.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
BearPerspective said:

This excuse, and the one that digs made about not finding an o-lineman that "fits the system" has been used for 12 months now as to why TT has not found anyone to replace two rookies on the squad.

It is what it is--an excuse, and I don't buy it.

Well, just because you dont buy it doesnt mean its untrue. Why do you think teams like Detroit, Arizona, etc... ALWAYS suck even though they draft all these skill position players EARLY every year? Because their lines STINK perpetually because good O-linemen are so hard to find. Why would you think that you could bring in some guy to start and be good as an undrafted or unsigned FA when teams like Minnesota pay OUT THE A** for a freaking GUARD? It takes a couple years to build a solid line IF YOURE LUCKY.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK.
That's why TT should have resigned Wahle then, but according to him..Offensive Guards are a dime a dozen.

Arizona and Detroit are on the rise. If you don't have anyone but rookies, you bring in the serviceable veteran guys like Seubert, Fraley, Reugamer, and others that have been listed here multiple times, and then you work your rookies in behind them. That's the way most teams do it.

You really don't want to start rookies.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
OK.
That's why TT should have resigned Wahle then, but according to him..Offensive Guards are a dime a dozen.

Arizona and Detroit are on the rise. If you don't have anyone but rookies, you bring in the serviceable guys that have been listed here many times, and then work your rookies in behind them. That's the way most teams do it.

I dont know Wahle's age, but it could be that he is going to revamp the whole team and wants linemen that fit his scheme. Perhaps he felt Wahle didnt. It really comes down to what your aim is as a team. Do you think re-signing some vets and hoping for a 7-9 season and a middle-first round pick is better than getting reps to young guys, going 4-12, and drafting in the top 5 is a worse idea? No playoffs for the pack either way. Might as well use the season to build.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that OL lines need to play together to gel and get into sync in order to be successful. That's why I though the moves last year really reflect the direction of our current situation. You need a at least a mid term plan. Not scrapping what you've had every year. Replacing two quality guards with Klemm and what's his toes, was our biggest mistake. Only to bring in a whole new scheme with all but 3 new players. It may be a few years before we get out of the trenches. Of the 3 players kept only 1 really is built for this zone blocking crap, Wells. With this disarray at the line, how can you develop a new QB? Like I've said earlier, how can you put a new QB in place, once Favre retires, without having a quality OL which will also include a solid run game.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when you have Brett Favre on your team and you protect him, and establish a running game, and give him at least TWO good receivers..you have a hell of a lot better chances than going 7-9.

You have a damn good shot at the playoffs.

And Wahle is obviously good enough to start for the Carolina Panthers, so he can't be that bad.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Well, when you have Brett Favre on your team and you protect him, and establish a running game, and give him at least TWO good receivers..you have a hell of a lot better chances than going 7-9.

And Wahle is obviously good enough to start for the Carolina Panthers, so he can't be that bad.

I disagree. Favre is a liability anywhere near a football.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and just because wahle starts for the panthers doesnt mean anything.... Carolina played atlanta(which we beat in preseason) and got thoroughly trounced. a pure old fashioned beat down... they rushed for a total of 65 yards, and gave up 4 sacks.

without Wahle.... we rushed for over a 100 yards and only gave up 3 sacks to the freakin chicago bears.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
majikman said:

I disagree. Favre is a liability anywhere near a football.

What do you know? You're a stinking, lousy, *******, bear's fan. Which means you are a loser.

And Packnic, do you mean the same Panthers that went to the NFC title game last year?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that was last year pal.... what matters is this year and so far wahle has helped them to 64 yards and 4 sacks and one big *** whooping kinda like what you are recieving in this thread.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If by *** whoopin, you mean you nonsensically sympathizing with a Bear's fan, trying to rationalize TT's mistakes and making no sense, then I think you are the one who is sounds foolish. Nobody's *** was whooped, except the Pack's o-line by the Bears on Sunday.

And if you think starting 2 rookies is better than having Wahle on your team, then I know what you say makes no sense.

But keep flexing those internet muscles because it's kind of funny.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts