1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

No music thread?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by packa7x, May 10, 2012.

1. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    I'm big into music...right behind NFL. What are your favorite bands? How about a top 10.

Here's mine:
    1. Avenged Sevenfold (it's what the "a7x" stands for in my handle)
    2. Lamb of God
    3. A Day To Remember
    4. Bullet For My Valentine
    5. August Burns Red
    6. Enter Shikari
    7. Atreyu
    8. Killswitch Engage
    9. As I Lay Dying
    10. Suicide Silence

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    I see you like the Metal.
    Right now I'm digging on in no particular order:

Gojira
    Meshuggah
    High on fire
    Mastodon
    For the oldies i'm liking Sir Lord Baltimore which was a kind of 3rd string 70's rock band
    And even though they are kind of "joke" bands, i dig Austrian Death Machine and Dethklok.

Ask again in a week and I'll probably say Edith Piaf or something totally unrelated

3. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Ah, love Meshuggah...should listen to them more.

Dethklok is kinda cool though I'm not super into em. I love goofy metal though...I'm a big Alestorm and Powerglove fan and I enjoy Lordi from time to time.

I saw a few pretty awesome metal acts over the summer..As Blood Runs Black, The Crimson Armada, Whitechapel, Dying Fetus...

What are some good metal shows that you've been to?

4. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    I haven't been to a lot of shows recently. I'm old. But I did see Gojira at a really small club on their first US tour. It was super cool, the drummer is nuts with the double bass pedal ala Thomas Haake.

Another weird, kind of obscure band I saw was called Stinking Lizaveta. They are a 3 piece that does only instrumentals that are a odd mix of doom metal and jazz. I don't really dig their records but live it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

In the not metal department, I've seen DEVO a bunch of times and they kill it EVERY time.

5. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    The double bass is amazing in most of the bands I listen to...it's what draws me to them...sometimes I watch these drummers and wonder how their legs don't fall off! :roflmfao:

Doom metal and jazz? That sounds amazing! I'm going to check them out. I love the mixing of generes. One of the bands I listed, Enter Shikari, is hardcore mixed with techno. Stuff is fun.

Never got into DEVO, though I respect them as musicians. They made pop music which I generally don't care for, but I respect them for being extremely creative with their music.

6. Kevin McCauley

Kevin McCauley Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a sizable music collection, but here are my favorites at the moment:

Atmosphere, Childish Gambino, Toki Wright, The Black Keys, Radiohead, Brand New, Pretty Lights, Massive Attack, Phish, Talking Heads, Noel Gallagher, Fiona Apple, The Avett Brothers.

7. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Never listened to any of em...can you suggest a few songs?

8. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Packa7x, add Disturbed, Slipknot, Godsmack, Metallica, 5 Finger Death Punch and Danzig to that list and I'm on board!

9. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    I'm not a huge fan of Slipknot, Godsmack, or Danzig but I can definitely headbang to Disturbed, Metallica, and especially FFDP. I saw Disturbed in the summer of 2010...they were solid. Their new stuff isn't great, but Ten Thousand Fists is an excellent record. Metallica has some great jams...One, Puppets, Sandman...my favorite is Wherever I May Roam...I play that opening part on guitar all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 This is the life.

Ratings:
    +897
    Metallica from 83-88 was good, Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd are also not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    Yeah, Metallica were absolutely stellar up to a point. These days I just keep hoping they stop.

For anyone into metal, check out Probot. It was a one off record by Dave Grohl where he rounded up his metal heros to collaborate with. Might not be something for fans of newer bands but anyone into older stuff like Celtic Frost etc. might dig it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PackerFan71

Ratings:
    +897
    I think Metallica are a still a good live act, but their music has been very mediocre for years. Ill never buy another of their cds because all of the dud ones they put out after the Justice Album. But why should they care, they are all Multi Millionaires now anyway.

Fairplay to Mr Grohl, hes turned into a bit of a Metal fan despite all my doubts.

13. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    PackerFan...you're killin me with Skynyrd! Haha zZzZz.

Darth Garfunkel...spot on with Metallica...I LOVE And Justice, the black album, Master of Puppets...those are great albums....Load, Reload, St. Anger...those all blow.

I'll check out Probot, but I'm not a huge fan of Grohl at all. I'm a big fan of powerful vocals..either screams or a really powerful voice...example being like Phil Anselmo from Pantera for the powerful voice or Mitch Lucker from Suicide Silence for the screams. Grohl just seems too boring to me.

14. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    Dave plays drums on that record. The vocalists are all guys from other bands like Sepultura, Lemmy etc. I don't think that record is widely available anymore but here's a song off youtube

• Like Like x 1
  15. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    Some double bass for you. They have more than berets in France!

• Like Like x 1
  16. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Can't figure out how to embed videos :( but here's a good clip of some double bass and other cool drumming. The Gorjia video you posted was sick!

Gave the Probot video a chance...not entirely thrilled but it wasn't bad either.

17. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18

• Like Like x 2
  18. PackerFan71

Ratings:
    +897
    Packa - heck yeah! gimme a bit of Skynyrd any day. Way better than any of all that nu metal rubbish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    I can dig skynyrd. I'll take sabbath over them any day but skynyrd over nu metal for sure. But to be a geek, most people think of nu metal being that rap-metal hybrid. I dont think anyone posted any fondness for that garbage. It's like the roller-blading version of real metal.

20. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Mehhhhhhh...Skynyrd wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so ubiquitous.

21. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Perfectly put. I do enjoy Korn and a little Disturbed, but I don't think either are Nu Metal. That's reserved for crap like Limp Bizkit.

22. PackerFan71

Ratings:
    +897
    Mmmmm well thats true to a point, but i find alot of these nu/alt metal bands whatever you call them. Either look or sound very much the same.

23. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    That's true for some bands in every type of music. Some bands are more diverse though. For example, here are 5 songs from the 5 different studio albums my favorite band put out. They're all extremely different. They may fit a type of music, but they don't pigeon-hole themselves to it and they branch out a lot. I didn't even include their 12 minute Danny Elfman-esque song. :D

24. PackerFan71

Ratings:
    +897
    The buildup and the singer intro scream on the first link is very predictable, ive heard it 100s of times before from other bands. But having said that, at least on the other ones they trying out different styles. It would be good if other groups tried to find their own thing, instead of the usual death metal screaming melodic music/singing break. Then back to the mind numbing industrial snare drumming.

25. packa7x

packa7x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    The first song they wrote in 1999 I believe...maybe even earlier. They were 18ish at the time. They screamed that entire album, the second one is 1/2 screaming 1/2 singing, 3rd and 4th all singing, 5th a couple songs have screaming. I agree some bands take the easy way out and put out 5 albums of track 1. A lot don't stray away from the vocals though and still put out some pretty cool stuff...

That song is off of Lamb of Gods 5th or 6th album. It's nothing groundbreaking, but they do a good job of kerning it fresh and interesting.