1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No more excuses Longwell

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by packedhouse01, Dec 25, 2005.

1. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    There was no problem with the snap and it was a good hold. Just shut up and kick the ball through the goal post.

2. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    And look what happens after the missed field goal. Momentum changes and the Bears score. Instead of getting the 3 points, they come back and strike on Mr. Carroll.

3. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    he isn't doing his new contract any favors! LOL

4. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed. You'll see him whine in the paper tomorrow about Flinn being a green holder and that it wasn't tilted just right. It's ridiculous...I think if Longwell demands top dollar, the Pack should let him walk. Find another guy that can make 70% of his FG's like Longwell this year and maybe even kickoff inside the 10 once in a while... :roll:

5. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    find another kicker, save maybe a million or two--rookie kickers are a dime a dozen, can be developed easily--we could also use someone who's a little better on kickoffs, Longwell missed from 38, we coulda had the lead, yeah no excuses

not a bad punt by Flinn either, in his only kick

6. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    How did you like the opening kickoff. We're offsides on the kickoff, we miss two tackles, the guy runs the ball back 20 yards and then we give them 5 more yeards on the penalty. If that kind of thing only happened occasionally I could deal with it, but it's been happening all year. We just have to make a coaching change there I think.

7. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bumped, to celebrate Longwell's 2nd wide right from inside 40 yards.

8. Kyle

Kyle Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way down to Tampa, Longwell. Good riddance.

9. Pack14

Pack14 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How many games in the last two years has longwell missed field goals that have decided the outcome of the game? Someone said it in a earlier post, he will blame the holder. What a joker. Merry xmas everyone or whatever you celebrate.

10. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Longwell needs to head to Tampa to be with his butt-buddy Josh Bidwell. I'm about tired of his whiney little a$$ blaming everyone but himself. He's a shell of what he claims to be and there are others that will do the job for far less than what he's going to demand. If TT is as hard line as they say, Longwell better start packing his bags right now because he has about another week in GB.

11. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    You know..all of this could have been avoided if they would have cut Nall and signed Penderson...

or found another guy to hold instead of BJ Sander..or in addition to him..at least.

It's easy to blame people...but I look at the fact that he's been Mr. Reliable until he had to adjust to a new holder who couldn't hold...should have been worked out months ago by the coaching staff...

12. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    i agree about the pederson thing, but man...longwell just doesnt seem to have it. a lot of guys make kicks when the snap\hold isnt 100% and if it is anything less than 100% for longwell, then it is a miss. And that just isnt good.

13. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with you on this on 66. It takes this coaching staff way to long to recognize what everyone else seemed to know a long time ago, Sander wasn't a good holder. Longwell's timing and mechanics might be a mess because of this.

14. slackerbacker

slackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of good pts already made. I'd have to agree w/ #66 on this one; like so many other things, this should have already been worked out. Considering Flinn? has only been in town 1 week, wouldn't you think Rodgers would have been the holder this week considering he's worked w/ Longwell several times over the season? I think in the end it comes down to Longwell not really wanting to be in GB any longer. I don't think he tries to miss on purpose, but I don't think it bothers him much either. Like so many other FAs, I think Longwell sees the writting on the wall; GB is a team in decline and the uncertainy of Favre has everyone thinking of going somewhere else. Likewise, I'm sure Ryan wants to live somewhere he can play golf during the season.

15. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The hold on that first kick looked horrible. Unfortunately the TV crew missed it and never replayed it, so I can't be completely sure. It looked like Flinn was fumbling with the ball. There was also a mishandled snap on an extra point, nearly causing a miss.

I have never before heard this concept, that some kickers are more affected by bad holds than others. Seems to me that a kicker's job is to step up and swing his leg through the spot, as strong and straight as he can. tromadz, are you suggesting that some kickers are somehow able to swing their leg in such a way that it doesn't matter as much how the ball is being held? What is it that these other kickers might be doing that allows the ball to fly straight even if the hold is bad?

16. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Concerning the field goal kicking situation here in Green Bay. The Packers worked out Flinn during the week before the Bear game, and Packers & Longwell thought he was the best option. However, it was the first professional game for the young man, he was tending bar before he was called by the Packers to play here.. Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin in December is not best place to start your NFL career holding for field goal s in 15th game of the season. I thought there was going to be a potential problem when Longwell kicked a ugly extra point after the first Packer touchdown. I think some of these posters should take a deep breathe and relax, after 13 years of non losing seasons, the Packers were bound to have a bad year. Every team during this era of Competitve balance has had one. Field goal kickers are a strange breed. You must be perfect. you either pass or fail. You sit around most of the game and sometimes when you go out there, the game is on the line. This year Longwell has failed a few times , for the rest of his career here in Green Bay, he has been the most accurate kicker in Green Bay history and one of the most accurate kickers in NFL. Even Stenerud, who was one of the field goal kicking greats in the NFL with Chiefs, came to Green Bay, did good job kicking for the Packers near end of his career. After a few years with Green Bay, he Decided to leave Green Bay to extend his career a little longer, by signing with the Vikings. He made this decision because he could kick in the dome in MN under perfect kicking conditions and extend his career even longer. You should not be so harsh on Longwell, a holder is very important to a kicker and in consistent holder's performance on each kick adds another mental problem to the kicker each time he goes out there to perform. Longwell has gone through a least one period when he was having problems kicking field goals in his 9 years kicking here. He worked his was through that period or periods and kicked very accurately through his career here. This has happened to many field goal kickers in NFL during the careers, not just Longwell. For you posters who think, Longwell should leave Green Bay "be careful what you wish for, you may get it." The best field goal kickers in Packer history are Ryan Longwell, Chris Jacke, Chester Marcol And Jan Stenerud.

17. vixtalkn

vixtalkn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Longwell doesn't have to make excuses ...

RYAN FLINN: "A couple of the balls I couldn't get around like I wanted to. The first field goal missed, I will take responsibility for sure because I didn't stop the ball. The ball was still spinning."

18. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is from my husband. Are you trying to say that a good kicker NEVER misses or that a good quarterback never gets sacked or throws an interception?! Is anything in this world ever 100%? Even the best miss their mark or fail at times.

19. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    carol...he has missed some that came back to haunt the pack...2 yesterday, and I think 2 in the Minny game come to mind, for example

True, he's not the only one in the league missing fgs, and it's probably not as bad as it seems, but someone who can't kickoff, and then whines to the press as much as he does, isn't going to win many popularity contests.

20. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I'll take it a step further. Lets's ignore yesterdays game with Flin as the holder and say he missed two because of the holder. But now lets's go all the way back to the beginning of the year and assume that Sander too was a bad holder. My question would be this. Wouldn't someone in the Packer braintrust make a change. I mean I've been saying all year long that it looks to me as if Sander can't get the ball down. Well what the hell if he's not doing the job then you find someone who can. You have to have someone that your kicker feels comfortable with. But the bottom line is that until yesterday there hasn't been a change made all year. So all I wanted to say on this entire post was for Longwell to shut up and just kick the ball. It's all about winning. We can't win consistently in this league without a kicker who can kick field goals regularly.

So in the long run it comes back to the coaching again. Why wasn't a change made earlier if the holder was the problem?

21. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I think this coaching staff should be shown the door at the end of the season, but I don't see how you can pin the blame for this on them. Sometimes the personnel fail you. Sander was the best holder in training camp, he's a very young guy, and there was reason to believe that he would work the bugs out and become a very reliable holder. Toward the end of the season, I believe he had done just that. Unfortunately, it took longer than expected and then he got injured.

I don't know how the coaching staff could've found a better holder. You don't want to reserve a roster spot just for a holder, which was getting to be the case with Pederson.

22. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Well..

Nall isn't doing much for the team at this point..

And wouldn't you want a QB to hold in case there was a bad snap..or if you wanted to run a fake FG..the QB could throw a pass downfield?

23. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Exactly 66...then again, what backup QB does much for the team, especially one that plays behind Favre? I would think clipboard holding for 200+ games would get pretty old. I agree with getting a QB to be the holder though. At least when something goes wrong, you might still have a chance. It's a pretty funny sight when a punter has to do something with the football besides kick or hold it...

24. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nall would have to be on the active game day roster to hold.

Is Longwell's desire to leave based on the lack of serious attention holding has received? or negotiating ploy.

Before cutting him a better kicker had better be lined up. The free agent market is not that good. Spend a draft choice on a kicker? Trade?

I think Longwell gets a tag for 06 and the decision is put off.

25. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if the holder was the problem or not, but I was shocked that Flinn was doing the holding. The guy has been here less than a week.

Rodgers held in training camp. Rodgers might not have been as good as Longwell liked, but I would think he would have had more practice time with Longwell during the year than Flinn has had in the last week. Maybe Flinn has done it in the past in college or something, but on the outside looking in it seems kind of odd that they had Flinn do the holding instead of Rodgers.