No More Calling Rodgers A Diva, It's Silly

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently other players shared his (Rodgers') sentiment in regarding to McCarthy's play calling in which it has been widely known and has been called into question.

And I wouldn't say call out, is the accurate word in this case.

So since he didnt like the play calls just changing them in the huddle is normal acceptable behavior.... gotcha

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So since he didnt like the play calls just changing them in the huddle is normal acceptable behavior.... gotcha
He's not the first QB to change the play. And it's not like he constantly did it either. Then factor in other players didn't like the play and the fact that it's widely acknowledged that McCarthy's play calling has been questionable at times as well. So unless you were on the side of McCarthy being a good play calling then you're argument is moot. But if that's your definition of a prima donna to each is own I suppose.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not the first QB to change the play. And it's not like he constantly did it either. Try again.

Changing plays at the line and changing plays in the huddle are two different things. If you cant recognize the difference I'm checking out of this conversation. Theres no point

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have. It kinda is. Willie Beanman right there at ya.
McCarthy is the play caller, but because Rodgers is so intelligent and such a good improvisational player, the quarterback has the green light to change plays on the field as he see fit.

He does, so often that it can be hard for McCarthy to get into a rhythm as the play caller. McCarthy might call the same play three times in a game, without the play actually being run as he called it.

And if McCarthy calls a play that Rodgers doesn’t like early in the game, that can sour the mood for the rest of the game.

Several sources familiar with the inner workings of the organization say that it devolved into a competition over who can call the better play, and both want the credit when things go right.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man do you even read the ****ing dictionary?

Calm down, buddy. That blood pressure has got to be through the roof.

Yes, I do. I relax every evening with a glass of red wine and a good hour or so reading from the dictionary. Or whenever else I can find the time, on a plane, on the commute, etc.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Rodgers' body language this season looks bad to my eyes. His demeanor reminds me of Jay Cutler. That is not an attempt on my part at a flamboyant comment, he looks bad, disheveled and downtrodden at times.

Strange how quickly the transformation occurred, because even at the start of the 2017 season he was looking confident, running plays so fast the opponents' defenses were getting called for 12 men and the offense was clicking pretty well. But, this season instead of bang-bang-bang machine gun offense the Packers are getting called for delay of game. Not all Rodgers' fault, but, he is throwing the ball away at a league-leading pace (which is giving up on the play), and that surrender attitude doesn't look good.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Changing plays at the line and changing plays in the huddle are two different things. If you cant recognize the difference I'm checking out of this conversation. Theres no point
If the play was called into question by everyone including the quarterbacks that should tell you that it wasn't a good play. And as I mentioned before other QB's of Rodgers' caliber has likely done that on a few occasions. You would have me if Rodgers had a history of doing so as it would've been documented.

If you're arguing that's a flaw and it's not acceptable then that's fine. But certainly not one if you're trying to paint Rodgers as a Prima Donna. Again if Rodgers did this constantly then yes I would consider him as a Prima Donna.

Please understand I'm not trying to be difficult or anything. These are just my thoughts is all. I respect your opinion.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're going to call someone a Prima Donna be prepared to defend your points, because I'm going to challenge you. If not then it's safe to say that it probably wasn't a well thought out opinion to begin with.

So with that being said I'll await a response that will prove me otherwise. The next move is yours ladies and gentlemen, who feel differently.

Apparently other players shared his (Rodgers') sentiment in regarding to McCarthy's play calling in which it has been widely known and has been called into question.

Need to defend the second quote? :)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not the first QB to change the play. And it's not like he constantly did it either.But if that's your definition of a prima donna to each is own I suppose.
Everyone has their own degree of tolerances for a player’s actions. I have been quite critical of Rodgers this season. We are all looking for explanations for why the team has been so bad. While he is by no means the only, nor not likely the biggest issue, he definitely needs to bear some of the blame. At that point, I think it is reasonable to consider his attitude as one of the possible causes of his lower level of success. Most of what Rodgers says and does happens off camera and behind closed doors, but I think there has been enough said by former and current NFL personal to conclude that he can be difficult to get along with, and that it is certainly possible that his mood can affect his play. I’m not going to get into labels such as “Diva” or “Prima Donna”... Those are just arguing points that can’t be proved or disproved.

Now.... With all of that said, I still think Rodgers was and will be again...one of the best QBs in the game, and would not want any other QB going forward.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers fans are the divas.

"Waaaaaahhh! Look at all of these trophies from 100 years ago! He should be thankful for playing for this now mediocre organization!!! "

The team has not been good for years, and they have failed Rodgers many times. I'd be frustrated as hell too .

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has their own degree of tolerances for a player’s actions. I have been quite critical of Rodgers this season. We are all looking for explanations for why the team has been so bad. While he is by no means the only, nor not likely the biggest issue, he definitely needs to bear some of the blame. At that point, I think it is reasonable to consider his attitude as one of the possible causes of his lower level of success. Most of what Rodgers says and does happens off camera and behind closed doors, but I think there has been enough said by former and current NFL personal to conclude that he can be difficult to get along with, and that it is certainly possible that his mood can affect his play. I’m not going to get into labels such as “Diva” or “Prima Donna”... Those are just arguing points that can’t be proved or disproved.

Now.... With all of that said, I still think Rodgers was and will be again...one of the best QBs in the game, and would not want any other QB going forward.
Okay THAT is totally fair! And I agree completely that Rodgers has to share a shoulder of the blame. Again most of you are missing the premises of my argument which is this notion that Rodgers is a prima donna. My arguments have been solely directed at that point.

I've been on here many times after games in which I said I can't or wouldn't defend Rodgers, and have also been critical of his performance because he can play better.

*Edit* Dear God in heaven. A Patriot fan has entered the fray... This is gonna be fun.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again most of you are missing the premises of my argument which is this notion that Rodgers is a prima donna. My arguments have been solely directed at that.

The same arguments took place 10 years ago about Favre. Seems kind of silly to spend this much time and energy (on my part too) debating something that is completely subjective and based on interpretation and opinion.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same arguments took place 10 years ago about Favre. Seems kind of silly to spend this much time and energy (on my part too) debating something that is completely subjective and based on interpretation and opinion.
Hey don't look at me. :D I didn't make the thread. I'm just giving my thoughts on the matter. But fair enough only time will tell. My thoughts about Favre greatly diminished from what it used to be considering how things played out in his final years. I hope Rodgers doesn't end up doing the same. It would be very disappointing.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll tell you, sure seems like Rodgers was taking shots right and left from the national media all over the place today. Rodgers did not get his HC fired, his HC nailed his own coffin shut. Furthermore, Rodgers was one of the few players trying to win or giving us a chance to win out there with his efforts. Sick and tired of people denying or ignoring this, or advocating we move on from Rodgers. Ridiculous and stupid ideas.

I'm going to shoot a hole in the blame Rodgers stuff with three irrefutable facts

1. Offensive line is garbage and getting pushed around like a turnstile. It wasn't just Rodgers getting pressured, Jones was getting swarmed on.

**** with those PFF stats on them. They are fake. Fake bs stats that cover up our garbage OL that must be fixed pronto.

2. He needed to take those deep shots today cuz nobody was doing a damn thing in breaking tackles, making routine catches, or on special teams returns getting any good fp.

3. Our now recently fired HC was calling run plays on 3rd and long and purposely sabotaging him.

All Rodgers haters take that and eat it!

Rodgers IS a damn Diva. Changing plays in the huddle, not at the line. Half-*** play this year to get his BOSS fired. What would you call it?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers IS a damn Diva. Changing plays in the huddle, not at the line. Half-*** play this year to get his BOSS fired. What would you call it?

*Sigh*

I feel like we're beating a dead horse as this has been address. If that alone makes Rodgers a diva then you and people like you are seriously reaching. If Rodgers had a reoccurring history of going Maverick, then you would have me. I'm pretty certain other QB's have done that on occasions as well that are on Rodgers caliber, plus Rodgers doesn't strike me as the guy to go rogue without reason, especially when the play calling has by the coach has been cited multiple times as questionable.

And so you're certain Rodgers was trying to get McCarthy fired. Interesting...

There are clear examples of Prima Donnas players in the NFL that not only cited but I've gave examples, and the funny thing is regarding those players I can easily come up with more examples, while at the same time I made counter arguments as to the cases making him as one. Btw no one even BOTHERED to bring up examples how Rodgers was a Prima Donna based off the examples I gave in which I am highly confident no one can dispute those are qualify as Prima Donnas.

So far the examples people have thrown out were the following in which I've offered counter argument to:

-What his former Teammates mention: Particularly Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley
I didn't even bring up the teammates that spoke about him in a positive light.

-Rodgers giving his assessment of the receivers during training camp in which you guys

- Rodgers changing the play at the huddle instead of at the line.

If I missed any others please enlighten me because I believe I covered almost all the arguments used against Rodgers as to what is making him a Prima Donna.

*Edit* It was recently brought up that Rodgers was trying to throw the season in order to get McCarthy fired, and honestly this feels like reaching straws at this point so I'm not even gonna bother.

I'm leaving with this: Rodgers is no saint. He shares a fair amount of responsibility to how this season has turned out and that was due to POOR PLAY, not because of this he's a Prima Donna that he's being accused of. He is someone that is high maintenance and holds people accountable just as he is held to. If that makes him difficult because people have lower standards that's fine. But a Prima Donna because of his commitment to excellence? Gimme a break.

I'm done with this thread. It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm going to try to make this as simple as possible.

Aaron Rodgers can at least at times be a tad condescending. He can at times rub a teammate or two the wrong way. He can be a little thin skinned. All of those things are true.

The only difference? I don't give a damn. I like it. It's no different than some of the things that Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, etc. have done over the years. Brady's never thrown a tantrum on the field? Manning's never thrown his offensive line under the bus? Big Ben doesn't point the finger in every direction besides his own?

At the end of the day, Rodgers for much of his career has performed on an insane level. He's made the playoffs in every single season of his career (outside of his rookie season) in which he's played a game in week 16 or later. He's a 2 time league MVP, and a Super Bowl MVP.

In other words, this guy knows what he is doing and he understands what is needed from a leadership standpoint. He might not lead in the way in which many of you would prefer that he does, but the results speak for themselves with what he has been able to accomplish. There's only been a handful of players in the history of the NFL to consistently make it to the playoffs with a chance to win it all as many years in a row that he has. That takes some leadership. That takes teammates buying in to him. That takes cohesiveness. That takes chemistry.

So regardless of all the senseless yapping from pundits in the local and/or national media, I don't think there's a problem with alienating teammates. You notice how all of these guys come out and say **** whenever their time in Green Bay is up. You don't see any anonymous sources from current players saying that Aaron Rodgers has problems getting along with teammates.

You've got a very small handful of quotes that always come from the same sources, and then others pick it up and run with it like it's the gospel.

Rodgers isn't going to change. He isn't going to pretend to be something he's not. He is who he is. One thing you cannot accuse Rodgers of is not being real and genuine. If you don't have an issue with it when the Packers are winning, then why the hell do you have a problem with it when the Packers are losing?

What this should tell you is that his "attitude" or being a "diva" isn't the reason the Packers are losing football games. THE MAN HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY.

Rant over.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mark Murphy disagrees with this, and it's as bad as the conspiracy theorists who suggest that Rodgers is going to go slamming open the front office doors of 1265 and go telling the admin in there who to pick as the new HC. This is how ridiculous it's gotten.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Rodgers can at least at times be a tad condescending. He can at times rub a teammate or two the wrong way. He can be a little thin skinned. All of those things are true.

The only difference? I don't give a damn. I like it. It's no different than some of the things that Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, etc. have done over the years. Brady's never thrown a tantrum on the field? Manning's never thrown his offensive line under the bus? Big Ben doesn't point the finger in every direction besides his own?

At the end of the day, Rodgers for much of his career has performed on an insane level. He's made the playoffs in every single season of his career (outside of his rookie season) in which he's played a game in week 16 or later. He's a 2 time league MVP, and a Super Bowl MVP.

In other words, this guy knows what he is doing and he understands what is needed from a leadership standpoint. He might not lead in the way in which many of you would prefer that he does, but the results speak for themselves with what he has been able to accomplish. There's only been a handful of players in the history of the NFL to consistently make it to the playoffs with a chance to win it all as many years in a row that he has. That takes some leadership. That takes teammates buying in to him. That takes cohesiveness. That takes chemistry.

So regardless of all the senseless yapping from pundits in the local and/or national media, I don't think there's a problem with alienating teammates. You notice how all of these guys come out and say **** whenever their time in Green Bay is up. You don't see any anonymous sources from current players saying that Aaron Rodgers has problems getting along with teammates.

You've got a very small handful of quotes that always come from the same sources, and then others pick it up and run with it like it's the gospel.

Rodgers isn't going to change. He isn't going to pretend to be something he's not. He is who he is. One thing you cannot accuse Rodgers of is not being real and genuine. If you don't have an issue with it when the Packers are winning, then why the hell do you have a problem with it when the Packers are losing?

What this should tell you is that his "attitude" or being a "diva" isn't the reason the Packers are losing football games. THE MAN HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY.

Rant over.

I think a lot of it too isn't just what he says to his teammates or what others have said, but just a lot of crazy notions that kept coming up after MM got fired that he was actually going to be telling the front office who they should pick as the HC. That to me is way over the top ridiculous borderlining on conspiracy theories as bad as the 9/11 truthers.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean by the comparison to Russel Wilson?
Well, basically all the qualities that I listed in my post I see in Wilson, or Brees or Luck for that matter. I would like to see Aaron have those qualities. Luckily, these can be trained.

Just because there are fans who don't believe that Aaron Rodgers is a diva, that does not mean that they are "unconditionally worshipping" him. It is possible to have a difference of opinion believe it or not. I have yet to see any hard evidence to show Aaron as a diva.

Just like the "kneeling debacle", this nonsense of Aaron Rodgers being a diva should simply go away - it has no purpose.
Oh it most certainly does serve a purpose, with the purpose being to explore all possible avenues as to why things aren't working as they are supposed to work. Instead of just blatantly being waved away as 'false news.'

Rant over.
So let me get this straight, you like that Aaron can be condescending towards his teammates and you like that he is thin skinned (which means what exactly, the fact that he seems to give up on a game or his teammates fast? That he is hard to please? Or that he can't take criticism?) ?Furthermore you are saying that since Manning, Roethlisberger and Brady also partake in finger pointing to any place but their own, its fine if Rodgers does?

I dont believe anyone here has said that we have been losing DUE TO Aaron's diva tendencies, and I definitely won't be the first. What I do however acknowledge is that these tendencies have not helped the Packers by any means this season, when we had a lot of games where, instead of being (comfortably) in front by half time, we were looking at deficits.

And while of course Rodgers has performed at an absurdly high level, by no means are these accolades indications for leadership. He is just a great QB is all, with very nice stats and multiple awards. The fact that any character flaws Aaron may have hasn't been brought up by an anonymous 'inside' teammate (which I think is a huge step for any player to take) doesn't say anything either. What kind of tyrant would Aaron have to be in order to make one of his teammates do this right? Can't imagine what the next practice would look like. Such an event is extremely unlikely to happen imo because of the following:

First and foremost, because Aaron is number 1, one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game and the face of the historic Green Bay Packers franchise. You'd be better off being in his favour obviously. Especially for all the young kids who are more likely to be awed, Im sure Aaron can be intimidating. Young kids of which, for the record, the Packers have a ton.
Second; Like you said PackAttack12, in general it has been fun and games in Packernation for the last 8 years. We've won a lot and Aaron has not had the chance to sulk this much before, fortunately. This also means that players could not have experienced Rodgers on his worse as much prior to this season.
And lastly, people tend to accept character flaws more if they are from successful individuals. Especially when they are on their side. I had a guy in my field hockey team who was an absolute ***hole. No one enjoyed him, both on and off the field. But he got the job done for us, which made us tolerate his abysmal behavior more.

At the end of the day, a QB is a team captain. Notice the word TEAM. I don't want my captain to bring uncertainty and fear in the minds of my team members, but belief and hope. Because believe me, that is precisely what he does if he rolls his eyes to a late round rookie WR, who is forced into the lineup due to multiple injuries. At already an uncharacteristically pivotal moment in the season due to a bad start. But sure, no pressure MVS and ESB.

I want my captain to accept the responsibility of his own failing, and not always make it either someone else's fault or the fault of 'the team as a whole,' yet never solely his own. But also, I want my captain to alleviate the blame that one player or positional group might have and carry it over to the team, or even himself, failing in general. I know, silly right? No, THAT is leadership.

Im all fine with my coach being a tough son of a gun for my players. The coach is the guy that rattles you in order to make you work your butt of in the fear of losing your starting position, or even your job. And even him I'd expect to be supportive and encouraging come gameday.

Taking all this into consideration and the fact that often Aaron either changes the play on the field or abandons a play completely in order to 'be the hero' and go for it all (which to me is another sign of him not having any faith in his coaches or teammates), I'd still have to objectively come to the conclusion that Aaron is somewhat of a diva. By no means do I want him traded as he is very irreplaceable for the Packers. And by no means was this the reason we flunked the season. But it definitely is a problem worth addressing going forward.

To all Rodgers' faithful, here a good read posted on the first page of this thread by adambr2 in case you missed it: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/26/g...er.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark Murphy disagrees with this, and it's as bad as the conspiracy theorists who suggest that Rodgers is going to go slamming open the front office doors of 1265 and go telling the admin in there who to pick as the new HC. This is how ridiculous it's gotten.

If it was Favre you'd be singing my tune, but because it's not Aaron's a cool guy? Come on man!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't you guys heard the stories about Jeff Saturday saying Rodgers would roll his eyes at McCarthy's play calling in the huddle?

https://www.12up.com/posts/6238230-...-eyes-at-mike-mccarthy-s-play-calls-in-huddle

Of course Rodgers is a diva. He's a pampered athlete. Do you suppose he's ever held a "real" job in his life? So what? I imagine most people here would act a little entitled if they were in his position, richest contract in the NFL, with the media slobbering all over him on a daily basis. I'd expect nothing less. Fact is, I don't care, as long as he plays well and wins football games. Other than that, his personality doesn't affect our lives one way or the other.

Members online

Latest posts