No CBA No NFL

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I know I may be a bit over dramatic here but in my opinion no CBA would mean the demise of the NFL.

1. Players after going into uncapped years would determine that it is better because they can demand "Baseball Compensation" Could you Imagine what a Brett Favre type Player say in his prime would demand. 30 million plus a year.

2. Certeain Owners would attempt to buy teams. Prime example Jerry Jones. Money to burn would turn the league upside down to buy Championships.

3. Small Market Teams like GB, Buffalo, could never compete without revenue sharing and would slowly like the dinosaurs go away. You would then get second string players to play on your team because you could afford nothing else.

4. There is also the possibilty of a strike which would kill the NFL. I think most fans are tired of atheletes, and owners that demand to much out of our pockets already.

Just my opinion tell me what you think

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya man, I think people know this and I have a feeling the people that make the wheels turn will not let that happen.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If football went the way of baseball I would be strictly a college fan overnight.

If it happened I would like to see the rest of the league break away from the 2-5 money teams that want it. I would support the new league. Let the money teams play each other 5 or 6 times a year including the playoffs and see how interesting that is.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL needs a good old fashioned lock out. A year without NFL football. Could be a lot better than 1982. A union busting cost cutting event for the long term health of the industry and its customers.

It would be better than replacement players of 1987.

I miss the good old eighties and laughing at the PATCO strikers.

Maybe then we can have fewer commercials during football games thanks to lower costs and consumers can rejoice.

No the players will not be that foolish. A CBA will be in place.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football needs to keep the current rules and CBA and all of that it is the best league there is. Look at baseball it is ruled by the yankkees every year how boring is that in football you never know

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, before the cap, it was the guys with the deep pockets every year. We ALL know how boring that was. If it goes back to that, the Packers will die. They don't have the ability to keep up with......pardon the obvious pun.........the "Jonses!" :wink:

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
The NFL needs a good old fashioned lock out. A year without NFL football. Could be a lot better than 1982. A union busting cost cutting event for the long term health of the industry and its customers.

It would be better than replacement players of 1987.

I miss the good old eighties and laughing at the PATCO strikers.

Maybe then we can have fewer commercials during football games thanks to lower costs and consumers can rejoice.

No the players will not be that foolish. A CBA will be in place.

I agree. Do like hockey did. Lock them out for a year. I would be more willing to support the teams doing that than agreeing to some watered down revenue sharing and salary cap. The good owners have to stand strong for the good of the league.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, bust the union then everything will be better. Another fine example of America 2006. Make every state like Mississippi and we all will be better. Working for a dollar an hour like India-based workers makes me a proud American.

Has it dawned on you that maybe BECAUSE the union existed the league is as successful as it is? Don't always assume because something isn't working that it's the UNIONS fault.

The NHL lockout didn't bust the union. They still have a union. It means the union lost that one issue, but if you notice....with the union...the NHL is doing better this year. Shocking, isn't it?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Spoken like a true, fascist, CAPITALIST owner...California...

It's ok for the owners to make shitwads of money..(and find ways to keep from paying taxes on it)..and screw the players (workers), and the little guys from enjoying a little football on the weekends because of your corporate greed mentality...(I know...let's get a bunch of illegal immigrant mexican dudes to play in the NFL...they're already cutting your lawns..and working in your kitchens...so why not?)

Some of you people think the players should be paid like Sam the butcher who works in downtown GB...or the Joe the plumber who works in front of your wife with his asscrack hanging out all day.....

With that logic...i guess the Rolling Stones should get paid the same amount of money that the crappy bar band down the street--Joe Blow and the Blowdogs are getting for doing Rolling Stone cover songs....

Let's face it people...it's not the same thing....

These are ELITE athletes who put their bodies and their careers on the line, week in and week out...ALL YEAR! Their lives are dedicated to nothing else but playing professional football 24/7...365 days a year....

That's why Javon should be compensated...because he DID perform...and that's why premiere players are going to look other places besides GB to play if it becomes known around the league that the Packers do not value their players....

It's also unfair that these contracts are not guaranteed, and that players can be cut at the "whim" of a GM or owner.....

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam and Joe types do contribute to the luxury boxes for a game. The rolling stones? nfl? That's just entertainment. It is not needed really except to have tax write offs for the corporate luxury boxes where "business" is conducted and you keep your customers happy.

Athletes? They are labor. Very few business can survive if the labor cost is 60 percent of the gross revenues. These costs must be cut as a service to the customers. The NFL can expand into a multi-national entertainment product but it must get the labor cost in line. 40 percent of the revenues would be generous. Slash all salaries by a third and the NFL does not have to restrict it's audience to paid media outlets like cable television and pay per view events.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing I would like to see in the new agreement is that certain veteran players do not count against the cap. A guy like Favre or McNair or Rice would be considered exempt so they can stay with the same team to finish their career. I hated seeing Rice in a Raider uniform. The rule would say that someone with the same team for 8 years would only have half the money count on the cap, 9 years only 25% and 10 years they would be exempt.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah..

but don't forget..if it wasn't for the "players" (workers) and their consistantly high level of performance (work)...the corporate fat cats wouldn't be able to conduct their deals and the owners wouldn't make any $$$...

How did the USFL, NFL Europe, Arena Bowl and XFL do...????

Face it...the NFL is making money, and tons of it..off of the backs of the players...(and merchandising and TV contracts is no small part of it..)

So..do not try and "de-value" the players..."your product" as you would put it....or you will FAIL...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well..whatever you want to call them DePack....

I guess according to CaliforniaCheez and a few others here...We're supposed to attack the players and shed many tears for the poor, abused, put upon, multi-millionaire owners....

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all about a few egotistical owners that have been forced onto a fair playing field and can't stand the fact they can't get their way which is BUY it.
It's too bad there's only one LA and one NY, "that's their problem". They didn't get where they are "sharing" or being made to play under the same rules as who they compete with. Well sorry guys but that's too bad. The league has sanctioned 32 teams from across the country and you signed up for it.

Just because their not allowed to spend their way to a SB. I happen to like the fact that they all have to operate under the same rules including the financial aspect of the game. It just grates these guys cause they can't be on top all the time. AWWW. Poor babies. Have to get in their Limo and be driven to the airport to get on their private jet after a loss! Life sucks.

And Pack66, sorry, but I have to disagree about the guarantees, man. I've been in the real estate buisness, commission only, for 23 years along the Gulf Coast and we just went through Ivan and Katrina. Two years in a row. Not a whole lot left standing let alone sellable.
Guarantees? Regarding income? The truth of it is. There ain't none. Not for me. Not for anybody. At least the players get paid the year they get cut and they have a house to come home to. There's a lot of people I know that would take that. All day long.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also Pack sorry but the NFL does not make money off of its Players. It makes money off of FANS TV DEALS AND STATE SANTIONED WELFARE. Fact of life is this there is not a team in the NFL that is losing money. The Players are paid well. ABove what any normal person is paid. Hell I would love to be paid NFL minimum to play a game that I love.

Members online

Latest posts