1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No Anthem? What BS

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by JJP41, Feb 9, 2011.

?

Should the national anthem be played at sporting events?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Don't Care

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    It would create so much drama if you tried to get rid of it. But really, why would you? what harm is it causing?

• Like Like x 1
  3. cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +194
    So, whenever somebody sings the Star Spangled Banner, it reminds somebody of the Iraq War? Makes about as much sense as the Pledge of Allegiance reminding somebody of Vietnam.

And I always assumed that the line "And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air", meant fireworks. :banging::banging::banging::banging:

4. JJP41

JJP41 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    What I'm getting out of this that since whoever it is (NFL, NBA, MLB, etc) decides to trot out someone who can't sing the anthem right, it should therefore be eliminated.

Maybe a better idea would be to not ask people like Roseanne or pop stars who are more about the visual than the vocal to sing it?

Just a wild guess on my part.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BigBayBlues

BigBayBlues Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +34
    Well, that writer clearly has no political agenda...:icon_rolleyes:...Moron...

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cheesehead Brittany

Cheesehead Brittany Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +184
    he probably is into scientology

• Like Like x 1
  7. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +682
    But we want those who play, coach and comment on sports to be sensitive at a time like this when nearly 6,000 U.S. men and women have been killed fighting wars in Iraq, where the last U.S. troops aren't scheduled to be withdrawn until this year's end, and in Afghanistan, where any withdrawal of U.S. troops isn't scheduled to begin until this coming summer.

Here's an idea. Poll the troops he's so concerned about, and see if they would get some satisfaction from this asinine suggestion of his.

I think I can predict the result.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    His own poll is running 80% to keep it. And the comments are running about 95% that he's an idiot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    simple solution to ****** anthems. Have someone from the military sing them at major sporting events. cool for the person that does and never looks bad imo.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Is this nut job serious? Maybe he is just trying to get attention? Well, it's working, people think he's an idiot.

Having grown up in a military family, (Mom and Grandpop were Army, Dad both Marines and Army) I was raised to honor my country. The National Anthem means something to me. Every time I hear it, I get emotional on some level. To hear somebody say they shouldn't perform it, even at a sporting event, goes against everything I have been taught to believe and everything I hold sacred. Even the Canadian National Anthem is sung at sporting events that involve a Canadian team out of respect (hockey mainly). The National Anthem is sung out of respect for our country.

11. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    I love it when the military performs it. Even if it's just instrumental. To me, it heightens the emotion and feel of the song. It should be an honor and privilege to perform it and I can not think of a greater person or persons to perform it than out military who fight everyday to keep us free.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +682
    I did it at a San Francisco Giants game once. It was actually a great experience - I guess my initial reaction is that we don't need a "solution", because some guy whining on a website isn't a legitimate problem. :smile: BUT, if ever there was a real problem that wouldn't be a bad idea.

13. PackersPete

PackersPete Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +27
    Kevin Blackistone does make some sense. For example, sometimes I go to a local senior center with my GF to play BINGO. I'm just as patriotic as anyone else but the latest pet peeve I have when I go there is the recitation of The Pledge of Allegience. I stand up, I take off my hat and put it over my heart but I do the same thing whenever a public prayer is being said-I remain silent out of respect for a difference in beliefs and opinions. You know who pledged to defend their country? The Nazis. I pledge nothing to nobody.

The Pledge of Allegience before BINGO makes as little sense as The National Anthem before a sporting event. You know what would make sense before a sporting event if the goal was to honor the troops? A bagpipe version of Amazing Grace would make a hell of a lot more sense if that truly was the goal.

Personally, I could care less if they do away with it or not. YT has some wonderful versions of our national anthem on it. I'm just tired of what one commentor said after the Superbowl on YT...."That horrible ghetto yodel MUST be stopped!!!!!" :amen:

14. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    "Should they play the National Anthem?"
    :amen:

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I personally like the God Bless America song more, and for the mentally-disabled like the Aguilera's and Spears, the lyrics are easier to memorize.

Lee Greenwood's song Proud to be an American should be played before every game. What a song that is.