No. 4 ranks No. 1 among NFL ranks

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]

"Great news," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday afternoon. "Oh, it's huge. He is an international superstar. To have a guy like that in our league is just wonderful."

Word that Favre was coming back for a 16th year with the Green Bay Packers and 17th in the NFL spread like wildfire at Super Bowl XLI after a reporter at the commissioner's annual late-morning news conference asked Goodell about the report in a Biloxi, Miss., newspaper.

On one level, Favre means money for the league. His name produces high television ratings and helps the NFL in its initiatives overseas.

"He's one of the leading personalities in the league," said Joe Browne, the NFL's executive vice president of communications and public affairs. "When the average fan thinks of pro football, Brett Favre is in the top half-dozen names and faces that come to mind.

"The fact that he plays for the Green Bay Packers doesn't hurt, either."

It's good business for the NFL when the Packers are competitive. Despite a 4-12 record in 2004, Green Bay played four night games primarily because of Favre as well as its uniqueness as the NFL's smallest city.

"It's huge for the league," Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said. "He's a legend. He's a treasure for the Packers, really, but he's a treasure for the NFL, too."

With more than 3,000 credentials issued to media this week, the Super Bowl attracts hundreds of reporters from foreign lands. Favre's name resonates across the globe according to Mark Waller, senior vice president for NFL International.

"To grow our game internationally, you need icons," Waller said. "Brett certainly represents an incredible player who is well-known internationally and a great franchise."

Favre's name recognition in Europe doesn't compare to the stars in soccer but Waller referred to him as "a great ambassador for the sport."

Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, was at Lambeau Field in November when his team crushed the Packers, 35-0.

"Man, he took some shots and he kept coming back," said Kraft. "He's such a great representative of the game."

Kraft, however, didn't appear eager to go overboard in his praise of Favre lest anyone think he was slighting his own quarterbacking icon, Tom Brady.

"(Favre) seems like a great guy," Kraft said. "But no one can be better than our Brady. Well, he's probably of the same ilk."

In October, Favre led the Packers to a 34-24 upset victory in Miami, where Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga was watching.

"He's terrific," Huizenga said. "That's great for football. Brett Favre is an icon, you know."

Carl Peterson, president of the Kansas City Chiefs, called Favre a "matinee idol" who "attracts fans and TV ratings and everything else."

"I'm happy for them," said Peterson, referring to the Packers. "Unfortunately, I'm not happy for us because we do play them next year."

Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney said Favre had been "a great man for the league" and was happy about his decision. He also thought Favre played well in 2006.

With Favre set to turn 38 early next season, there are no guarantees his return will pay dividends for him or the Packers.

"He'll hit the wall, there's no question about it," said Gil Brandt, the long-time Dallas Cowboys personnel director who remains active in media circles. "But I think he's still among the top seven, eight (quarterbacks), in that area."

Dan Marino was one of many quarterbacks who turned 38 during his final season, struggled and then retired the next off-season.

"But some guys are old at 38 and some guys are old at 48," said Huizenga, Marino's old boss. "Brett can play. That's OK."

The Packers' 8-8 season, which included a 4-0 finish, impressed Brandt.

"I really think that team played pretty well with the number of rookies starting and the number of rookies on the team," he said. "I guess if they can keep (Ahman) Green and get a few receivers who are a little bit better they'll be pretty good."

Hall of Fame wide receiver Lynn Swann, who retired from the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1982 and went into broadcasting after a series of concussions, was pleased by the timeliness of Favre's announcement.

"The best thing he did was make a quick decision," said Swann. "If you know what you want to do and know what you want to accomplish, it's not that tough a decision.

"Someone once told me, it's better to play one more year past than it is one year less. You never get it back."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
So with this comment from the Commish.
It's good business for the NFL when the Packers are competitive.
how about giving the Packers an extra 1st rd pick each year to help 'better' the league ;)

Reaction score
how about giving the Packers an extra 1st rd pick each year to help 'better' the league ;)

With such great innovative thinking, I say you should run for NFL Commish! :thumbsup:

Pssst: if you do get that job and ever need a legal advisor/consultant, you know who to call.... :beersign:

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

With such great innovative thinking, I say you should run for NFL Commish! :thumbsup:

Pssst: if you do get that job and ever need a legal advisor/consultant, you know who to call.... :beersign:

Ron Wolf???

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the odds The Packers play The Bears or Vikings the last MNF game of the year?

What's the over under of the # of primetime games The Packers are scheduled for in 2007?(MNF, Sunday Night, Thursday).

I say 5.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What are the odds The Packers play The Bears or Vikings the last MNF game of the year?

What's the over under of the # of primetime games The Packers are scheduled for in 2007?(MNF, Sunday Night, Thursday).

I say 5.

The chances are very very good.

Members online

Latest posts