Nnamdi Asomugha anyone?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oakland Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is now an unrestricted free agent.

Now, I know it's a long shot, but what do you think of adding Asomugha to our secondary? I think father time is starting to catch up with Woodson, and it might not be out of the question to think about moving him to safety. While he is still a decent coverage corner, how much longer will he be good enough?

Asomugha will turn 30 in August, so he certainly has a few good years left in him. I realize the chances of adding him are bascially 0 since I'm sure he'll demand an absurd amount of money and TT, as we all know, doesn't like signing free agents. But the last big name free agent TT signed was a certain 29 year old cornerback who has just left Oakland. He turned out to be a pretty good signing. And I had heard rumors every now and then that TT wanted to trade for Asomugha.

Thoughts?

Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha declared unrestricted free agent - San Jose Mercury News

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with shields we will be ok but need to draft someone. Its a luxury imo

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
It would be great, but as you said he's probably asking for too much $

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with shields we will be ok but need to draft someone. Its a luxury imo

My problem is if we ignore the CB position in the draft again and let's say that Woodson falls off a bit faster than we expected, who is our nickel back? Bush? Underwood? Lee? None of them have shown any consistency whatsoever, other than that they are consistently bad.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to bring this guy in just to see if he'd be interested. Like most people already said, it would be more of a luxury at best. Still I'd like to see how far the Sam Shields "experiment" continues into next season.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see several problems with bring him in:

1. We already have 3 great CBs - two early in their careers - and they need to be on the field
2. There is no need to tie up more $$ at the CB position than they need to
3. And most importantly .... why would you risk ******** up your locker room by bringing someone at higher pay than both Tramon Williams (who you just extended) and Charles Woodson (who is the leader of the defense). Don't mess with a good thing.

1. Totally agree with, it's not like any of the three have been doing bad so far.

2. After extending Tramon Williams I doubt TT spends any more money at DB which is why I doubt Bigby is back next season, even at a fair price.

3. He wouldn't necessarily screw up the locker room. Asomugha is a well spoken guy and very respected around the league. Unlike recent FAs who have been total nutcases i.e. Albert Haynesworth, Brandon Marshall, Randy Moss etc.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We really need to concentrate on retaining some of our current players like Jenkins, etc who will be free agents

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have established themselves as SB contenders for the next few years. Lebron went to MIA to win championships and for less money. How appealing is a SB ring to Nnamdi?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have established themselves as SB contenders for the next few years. Lebron went to MIA to win championships and for less money. How appealing is a SB ring to Nnamdi?

Nnamdi isn't Lebron, who knows IF Nnamdi is even thinking championship ring? He did resign with the Raiders after his rookie contract was up knowing the team was in shambles.....

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
holy hell, i just got his numbers. he's damn expensive. i'll give him 10 mil/3 years and a McDonalds arch card.

RaidersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's very likely he could go to the Packers.

I know him well. He'll got to Green Bay or NY Jets. Mark it down. Are the Niners looking at Nnamdi Asomugha?

check out ByDavidWhite on twitter

As long as it's not NE, or any AFCW team. Wouldn't mind seeing him in GB.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's very likely he could go to the Packers.

check out ByDavidWhite on twitter

As long as it's not NE, or any AFCW team. Wouldn't mind seeing him in GB.

Last offseason I remember there were some rumors of a trade between the Packers and Raiders. If there is even a hint of truth to that rumor I would think there is some sort of mutual interest.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes yes and yes!
No!No!No!...Why? Why?Why?

The guy had a great year in 2006 but since then, not so much. 2010 stats: 19 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles. plus he has playing in a base 4-3 defense and the 3-4 defense takes time to learn. Plus it would take 2 years to learn to spell his name. Keep Woodson for God's sake and have him as a mentor for our other DBs.
I would like his name if I was playing scrabble.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asomugah is the same type of corner as Tramon. We don't need to pay someone that much money to do something we alreay have someone excelling at.

I would like to find a replacement for Woodson, a corner that has great instincts, that is a great tackler and can do everything.

I wanted Earl Thomas last year so badly, because he is that kind of player. I don't know extensively who are who in this year's draft, but those kind of players are extremely rare to find. Maybe we already have that guy in Shields, or in Burnett and we don't know...

PackersFan28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see several problems with bring him in:

1. We already have 3 great CBs - two early in their careers - and they need to be on the field
2. There is no need to tie up more $$ at the CB position than they need to
3. And most importantly .... why would you risk ******** up your locker room by bringing someone at higher pay than both Tramon Williams (who you just extended) and Charles Woodson (who is the leader of the defense). Don't mess with a good thing.

I totally agree. I think we're fine at the CB position. We need to work on our lineman/running back situation in my opinion.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No!No!No!...Why? Why?Why?

The guy had a great year in 2006 but since then, not so much. 2010 stats: 19 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles. plus he has playing in a base 4-3 defense and the 3-4 defense takes time to learn. Plus it would take 2 years to learn to spell his name. Keep Woodson for God's sake and have him as a mentor for our other DBs.
I would like his name if I was playing scrabble.
Teams simply don't throw his way. Stats are greatly misleading. He's an elite shotdown corner.

But you got something on the scheme thing. He plays strickly 2 deep cover, and he only covers one side all time.

Now, he could probably play anywhere, any scheme, with his talents. But he never has.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
You won't see him in Packer Green and Gold. More than likely in Jets Green and White.

Excerpt from ESPN:

The New York Jets are the obvious choice from what Asomugha has said. He insisted he was "dead serious" about joining forces with Revis to form the ultimate shutdown corner tandem and that they had discussed it with Jets head coach Rex Ryan.

"Me and Revis have been talking to Rex to try to do something," Asomugha said. "You may see us in the future. There's a little bit of talk going on. Either he's coming to Oakland, or something else will happen."

Looks like "something else" can happen quite easily now. Revis won't be coming to Oakland anytime soon. Revis ended a summer contract holdout with an extension through 2014.

The Jets' other cornerback, Antonio Cromartie, is in the final year of his contract. He has played well in his one season with the Jets, but Asomugha plays in the highest echelon. Asomugha and Revis were voted as Pro Bowl starters again this year. It is Asomugha's third straight Pro Bowl selection.

Should be interesting to see where he lands... letting the bidding begin! lol

~Val

Members online

Latest posts