1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nighthawks!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by flep, Jun 22, 2008.

1. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a link to a quick highlights package of my old team the Merseyside Nighthawks playing last sunday at Manchester Titans.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gwv0JVlZ7lo

It does for the squeamish feature the Nighthawks # 13 (Chuddy Williams) breaking his leg but he still held on to the pass.

As my signature says I founded the Nighthawks in 1986 and still attend home games.

Go Nighthawks!!!!

Give me your opinions of the standard.

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Look what you've done, you've indirectly broken that guy's leg!

Heh, very cool stuff. They seem pretty competent. How old are they though?

If you're interested, here's the state of Gridiron play where I live (all the way down in Western Australia). Most players are early 20's, and probably average to above average build :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OH_1c2gWKc8&feature=related

3. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean you founded the Nighthawks? Did you push to get the team started there? Just curious. Cool stuff. It's great to see football (not to be confused with the other football) catching on over there.

4. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The age range of the nighthawk players is 18 to wait for it 50!!!!!!

It's purely an amateur sport in the UK.

Back in 1986 my friend dave (a bears fan for his sins) and I decided to try and form a team. so we advertised in a national football weekly newspaper for interested players and before long we had 25 people regularly turning up for training. We played unkitted for a year then bought the kit bit by bit, paid for by weekly subscriptions paid by the players. There were at the time approx 80 teams in the UK all of which were amateur.

The nighthawks played today against the Edinburgh Wolves and won 15 - 6 so are now 4-1 half way through the season.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Age 50??? What can a 50 year old do on the team?
    That was pretty sweet though! Thanks for sharing that with us Flep!

6. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Gary Kay just turned 50 but you wouldn't know it to look at him. He plays safety and wideout on 3rd and longs and has been playing the game for 25 years.

He brings experience to the team and shames the youngsters with his playing capability and enthusiasm for the game.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Man....i'm jealous! I'd LOVE to play on a football team. But realisticly, i couldn't physically do it. My hats off to a guy that can do it at age 50!!!

8. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i play Outside Linebacker for a team here in Dublin called the Rebels
    http://www.dublinrebels.com/news.php

We just won a national league title this weekend and are entering the playoffs for the Shamrock Bowl. This weekend we're playing a visiting team from North Central College in Illinois. They are Div3 NCAA.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck Tiger!!!
    Let us know how it turns out!
    (Lay some wood on them!!!) :D

10. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck Tiger!!

I remember playing a high school select team from Washington state in 1992

they destroyed us 40 -0 but we learnt so much. Ther coaches after the game actually told us they didn't go easy on us at all and we where the best team they played in the UK on their tour. And despite the scoreline they reckoned we had a good chance to win in the season that year.

They were right - We ended up British Champions.

Maybe one day the Rebels could arrange a game against the Nighthawks and we can talk Pack after the match!!!!!!!!!

11. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Would be cool man! yah i think our team has played coventry jets before and some other teams but ive only joined them in the past year.

12. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update.

The Nighthawks played the 4 - 0 Lancashire Wolverines yesterday and won 32 -13. We now stand proudly on top of the north division

http://www.bafl.org.uk/standings.asp?division=2

Nighthawks what is your proffession?

ahooo ahooo ahooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!