Nick Perry back on 1 year deal.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A one year deal seems most logical with him. He seems to be a very good player when healthy. I'm not sure that he will ever be healthy though. It would have been good to sign him for less money but I assume that there was "some" market interest for Perry, and it pushed his contract to where it ended up.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, depending on how many players will have to be placed on injured reserve during the 2016 season the Packers will need to save approximately $3-5 million for replacement players. Taking that into consideration the team has $5-7 million to spend. First of all that´s not a lot of money to use and with Thompson wanting to roll over at least a portion of it I don´t see him making any major moves for the rest of the offseason.

Where are you getting these numbers?

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

D

Deleted member 6794

Where are you getting these numbers?

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

That number doesn't include Perry's contract (according to reports a cap hit of $5 million for the 2016 season) as well as Banjo's ($675K). That deals result in $4.775 million of additional cap hit, taking the number down to $14.4 million.

The Packers draft picks, players #52 and #53 on the active roster and the practice squad players will account for aporoximately $4 million in additional cap hit, reducong the team's cap space to close to $10 million.

The Packers will most likely need another $3-5 million for guys replacing players being put on injured reserve resulting in $5-7 million available for this season.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the band is still playing the song "Super Bowl Or Bust" here on the deck of the Titanic, otherwise known as the Green Bay Packers. As the ship slowly goes down, the faithful think the staff(TT) will find a way to halt the flooding.
Wrong.
The signing of Nick Perry is an example of sticking with "draft and develop" until ultimately, it fails. Perry getting $5 mill is simply plain, old CYA for TT. He had a chance that draft to get a badly needed safety(Harrison Smith) in the first round, instead he hires a guy that isn't the best DE in a 3-4, and had never played linebacker much. "Development". After four years of injuries and subpar play, TT hands ridiculous money to an bad underachiever. All his arguments about not overpaying for FA's has been proven false to a maximum degree. He's willing to toss that kind of bread to a guy that might be a backup on most teams shows Captain Ted is steering the ship into yet another iceberg.
Never forget the humiliating losses to Denver, Carolina and Arizona, AND losing the division to the Vikings.
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid folks. Eventually you'll run for the life boats.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way off topic but rmbr when everyone thought Matt Leinart was gonna be good? He was so good in college that usc team! I actually thought he was gonna turn out good

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone envision Perry having gotten $5M anywhere else? Or even close?

Keep in mind the Bears paid the same average amount each in free agency for PFFs #2 and #6 ILBs last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

The signing of Nick Perry is an example of sticking with "draft and develop" until ultimately, it fails. Perry getting $5 mill is simply plain, old CYA for TT. He's willing to toss that kind of bread to a guy that might be a backup on most teams shows Captain Ted is steering the ship into yet another iceberg.

Perry is a backup with the Packers as well. He played 33.4% of the defensive snaps last season. With Matthews moving outside again I don't expect that number to increase in 2016.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perry's one-year, $5 million includes a $1.5 million signing bonus with $1 million of it tied to per-game active bonuses. He can earn an additional $250K in incentives.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry's one-year, $5 million includes a $1.5 million signing bonus with $1 million of it tied to per-game active bonuses. He can earn an additional $250K in incentives.

I think TT paid $750K-1Million over his worth to keep our own...how much you think Capt?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think TT paid $750K-1Million over his worth to keep our own...how much you think Capt?

Well, there are only 21 3-4 OLBs in the NFL earning more than $5 million per season at the moment, so Thompson paid starter money for a backup. I think he overpaid by at least $2 million for Perry.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also absolutely hate that his sole escalator is based on games played. He loses $62,500 for every game he's inactive in, and the only way that's going to happen is if he's injured.

He has every reason to not go all out, and/or to lie or hide an injury. I'd much rather his escalators be tied to statistically performance.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also absolutely hate that his sole escalator is based on games played. He loses $62,500 for every game he's inactive in, and the only way that's going to happen is if he's injured.

He has every reason to not go all out, and/or to lie or hide an injury. I'd much rather his escalators be tied to statistically performance.
His future contract is directly related to his performance. He has shown that he earns his pay, WHEN HE IS HEALTHY.... I dont see anything wrong with the logic of the deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't thought about it with Perry's contract so far but the Packers could have included incentives for four or more sacks into his contract and because the league would have deemed them unlikely to be earned (as Perry had only 3.5 sacks last season) wouldn't have counted against the cap either.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts