Nick Perry back on 1 year deal.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
5 million....are you kidding? Way too much for Nick Perry. To put it into perspective Danny Trevethan got a 24 million dollar contract for 4 years with only 12 million garentee.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry had some really strong games down the stretch. I know people have been down on him but this is an incredibly low risk signing for a guy who played well the second half of the season

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry had some really strong games down the stretch. I know people have been down on him but this is an incredibly low risk signing for a guy who played well the second half of the season

That's been his knock before he even came into the league and especially now-inconsistency. He's supremely talented, but we should have seen much more progress by now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of Raji, Neal, and Perry, Perry is the most important to keep IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m surprised Perry decided to re-sign with the Packers instead of leaving to a team playing a 4-3 defense. I´m glad he´s back but would have liked him to agree to a long-term and cheaper contract though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all in the details:

The Packers opted not to do that last year, but Perry will be remaining in Green Bay all the same. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Perry has re-signed with the Packers for one year at $5 million.

That’s $2.75 million less than the Packers would have had to pay under the terms of the option, which means the market played out well for the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/packers-re-sign-nick-perry/

Not unlike the BJ Raji scenario, Perry will have one year to show he can stay healthy and play like a first-rounder. He should be motivated, if nothing else.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's all in the details:

The Packers opted not to do that last year, but Perry will be remaining in Green Bay all the same. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Perry has re-signed with the Packers for one year at $5 million.

That’s $2.75 million less than the Packers would have had to pay under the terms of the option, which means the market played out well for the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/packers-re-sign-nick-perry/

Not unlike the BJ Raji scenario, Perry will have one year to show he can stay healthy and play like a first-rounder. He should be motivated, if nothing else.

While the Packers saved some money on Perry´s deal by not picking up the fifth-year option the team currently has only $14.4 million of cap space available. Taking the draft picks, players #52 and #53 as well as the practice squad into consideration that will leave us with approximately $10 million of cap space entering the season. There´s not a lot of money available to be spent this offseason anymore.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m surprised Perry decided to re-sign with the Packers instead of leaving to a team playing a 4-3 defense. I´m glad he´s back but would have liked him to agree to a long-term and cheaper contract though.

But why do that now on a guy who has proven to not be able to stay healthy or sustain any sort of real success? I'm very happy he's back because I think he can be a really good player but this is a 1 yr prove it deal. If he works out, he's your long term answer fro Peppers next year, and if not back to the drawing board there. I mean they could have loaded it with incentives and get him to buy into himself I guess but I'm fine with the deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

But why do that now on a guy who has proven to not be able to stay healthy or sustain any sort of real success? I'm very happy he's back because I think he can be a really good player but this is a 1 yr prove it deal. If he works out, he's your long term answer fro Peppers next year, and if not back to the drawing board there. I mean they could have loaded it with incentives and get him to buy into himself I guess but I'm fine with the deal.

Well, signing him to a one-year deal results in a pretty large cap hit for the 2016 season and as I´ve mentioned above the Packers don´t have a lot of cap space left.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, signing him to a one-year deal results in a pretty large cap hit for the 2016 season and as I´ve mentioned above the Packers don´t have a lot of cap space left.

No I get that but I don't think signing him to a long term deal was the answer either given his history. Moot point now as what's done is done.

I don't think this signing should have much bearing on what else he does though. I know it's not really in his DNA to do so but he can get creative with these deals in order to make them work. Teams do it all the time, and they potentially have a ton of money coming off the books next year, (quite a bit going on as well I know) but there's always a way to make it work. I know it's not time for it yet but I'd like to see Aaron at some point re-work his deals (a la Brady) to more team friendly deals to create some flexibility. Clay as well

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think this signing should have much bearing on what else he does though. I know it's not really in his DNA to do so but he can get creative with these deals in order to make them work. Teams do it all the time, and they potentially have a ton of money coming off the books next year, (quite a bit going on as well I know) but there's always a way to make it work. I know it's not time for it yet but I'd like to see Aaron at some point re-work his deals (a la Brady) to more team friendly deals to create some flexibility. Clay as well

Well, depending on how many players will have to be placed on injured reserve during the 2016 season the Packers will need to save approximately $3-5 million for replacement players. Taking that into consideration the team has $5-7 million to spend. First of all that´s not a lot of money to use and with Thompson wanting to roll over at least a portion of it I don´t see him making any major moves for the rest of the offseason.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elliot has played the same amount of games....probably way fewer snaps and has the same stat line as perry. Neal has outplayed him as well. I hope his 5 mil has nothing to do with him being a 1st round pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Elliot has played the same amount of games....probably way fewer snaps and has the same stat line as perry. Neal has outplayed him as well. I hope his 5 mil has nothing to do with him being a 1st round pick.

Perry is for sure a better player than Neal and while Elliott has shown a lot of potential at times he has to be more consistent to earn more playing time. I´m fine with Perry being back although I agree that Thompson once again overpaid to re-sign one of our own free agents.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the one year deal. Perry showed he can be a very good player late last season, but we all know he hasn't been very consistent.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ditto! I would have liked GB to try and get him stretched into a 2 or 3 year for better hit....we will see how it plays out. I still think if he catches fire he'll be gone after this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say we overpaid him by about 750K to a million more than I'd have liked...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, depending on how many players will have to be placed on injured reserve during the 2016 season the Packers will need to save approximately $3-5 million for replacement players. Taking that into consideration the team has $5-7 million to spend. First of all that´s not a lot of money to use and with Thompson wanting to roll over at least a portion of it I don´t see him making any major moves for the rest of the offseason.
I fully expect either contract restructuring or trade/release at the guard position before the season opener. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the same happened with Burnett.

Members online

Latest posts