1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Nick Collins

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by digsthepack, Aug 2, 2005.

1. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    When was the last time fans have heard the words "safety", "filling the hole" and "punishing hit" out of Green Bay??

I know it is early, but I am getting excited about this kid. Athleticism second to none, good work habits, and a willingness....no, make that desire, to knock people on their asses.

Has anyone here watched camp to provide more feedback on Nick Collins.

Man, cannot wait til' Friday to watch for myself!

2. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Remember the exhibition game with the Chiefs stopped due to lightning?? Safety!

Ferguson took a "punishing hit" last year!

Filling a hole was done when Flanagan left with injury and was not done when Lee and Jackson(not the Generals) were out with injury.

Who has reported punishing hits filling holes? For not seeing it personally how can you conclude Athleticism second to none?

I too hope to see it soon.

3. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you talkig about the HOF game on Aug 2, 1980? It was against San Diego, the Chargers were leading 2-0 when the game was stopped. Am I remembering this correctly? Or was there a more recent game with KC that I am forgetting?
    Hammer

4. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cali....lemme see here....runs a sub 4.4 40, excellent hips and change of direction, good vertical...all the measureables (athleticism) are there for anyone who cares to make themselves aware. Can he translate it to the field? We will all see in the next few weeks.

As far as his punishing hit filling the hole.....try this on for size, Cali....read Packers related articles from various sources and you too can be informed of what it happening in camp.

5. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hammer, I think that was like 4 or 5 years ago. In either case, it was pretty recent.

So what's shakin' out east, Duke?

6. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I missed that one.
    Not much here, just went through the Dawg Daze. Pumped for the football season, which rather nicely coincides with the new brewing season.
    Hammer

7. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Here here - there's a great writeup on the guy over on PackersNews.com - Read....

Bates teaches defense, with personality

8. ORRELSE

ORRELSE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the hijack...hammer do you homebrew?

9. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The thing that is nice is that this RB Robertson is 6'-1" and 235...no small package. The kid is not intimidated by the any of this.

Of all the complaints(legitimate ones) that have been raised around the Pack the last several years, the one that bugs me the most is the fact that our defense had become softer than butter in the sun.

It appears the common denominators amongst this year's defensive rookies is a non-stop motor, physical play, and apparently fearlessness.

Poppinga may be a player for us in a year or 2 on defense, but watch him as a special team's demon this year.

Enough to get a little excited about in the last several days.

10. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I've got 18 years under my belt. I see you're from Hampton, I know the dudes from St. George pretty well.
    Hammer
    Oh yeah, I live in Durham, NC, and make it to VA a few times a year. To party of course.

11. fondypackfan

fondypackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the hit on the news and it was refreshing to see somebody from the defensive backfield actually hit somebody.

12. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    GOOD, i hope thats what our new safeties bring to this team...IDENTITY, not playing pass and pass only (poorly) like sharper and roman...i wanna see run support, i wanna see us clocking recievers over the middle of the field, glad to hear collins arriving with this tenacity

13. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Chuck Cecil

14. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Heck yes Chuck Cecil! He was good for at least 3 slobber-knockers a game, wasn't he?

I still remember the hit he put on Neal Anderson of the Bears in Lambeau. He hit Anderson who fell like a sack of potatoes and Cecil started shaking all over as we was standing over him. Shaking like he just took some drug that was giving him a high feeling. We need that type of "Nitschke-like" attitude on our defense!

15. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ND, one of the greatest hits of all time. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Bates enthusiasm is great to see. He will make a difference as DC of this team. "Get that man a drink of water!" I love it.

16. Cheezy

Cheezy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Look for Underwood and Collins to be our starting safties in the near future. I read an article that said him and Underwood shared a room together and would study plays and quiz each other on formations during the night. These guys are going to be great. Also Poppinga too, guy is a beast.

17. fvre4mvp

fvre4mvp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I know the Ravens were looking at Collins but the pack drafted him thats a good sign seeing how the ravens already chose the best ballhawking hard hitting safeties in Ed Reed hopefully the ravens were right again

18. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It would be great to see a couple of safties delivering "slobberknockers" again. Rather than the 2 tackles that Sharper perfected, the "reach" and the "whiff" tackle. :lol: