Nick Collins

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's very first defensive draft pick. Unlimited ability and potential. His play this year will be critical to the Packers defense.

I haven't seen much discussion, if any at all about him this off season. Had a great rookie year I thought. Inconsistencies in coverage plagued him last year. If it was scheme, coaching, inexperience, awareness, playing alongside Manual, or a combination of all of these I don't know. He did however seem to improve down the stretch .

I still see pro bowl trip(s) in Nicks future. How comfortable is everyone else with our Free Safety situation ?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meh. i think safety (strong and free) will probably be the weak point on our defense, but certainly better than last year. this is not to say i think our defense won't be very good, because i think it will. but, there has to be a weakest link, and safety will be it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all thought Nick was gonna be a pro bowler and i still think he can be...

but i think more realistically hes gonna be a guy who doesnt screw up a whole lot. Not a game breaker... but you can trust him. and im ok with that.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
He has all the physical tools and athletism that you need to succeed at the safety position. He tackles decent and takes pretty good angles on the field.

But I see three major areas preventing him from becoming that pro-bowler that you speak of.

1. Instincts... on some places he seems to smell the play out very well and makes a play. But moreover he seems to be a reactive player than not.

2. Football IQ - I have never met Nick in person, so to talk about his intelligence is unfair to him. However from what I have seen on the field and what you read is that he struggles at diagnosing the plays. Far to often he is out of place, now is that him or the running mates around him.. most noteably the guy playing SS. But moreso, I think it is more related to number 3.

3. Coaching - Look at the development of our corners vs our safeties in the past year. Washington vs Schott. We are developing better talent at the corners, where Lionel is responsible for them, than at safety. Watch the play of the young corners and they are becomming very fundamentally sound.

Then look to the safety position (hmmm, Schott) and see that they are tentative, taking bad reads, positions and angles on plays. One thing last year and in the Pit game was after the CB let the WR go... consistantly from safety to safety the exchange was blown. So either they aren't being taught very well, communication between the CB/S or we really lack quality at the position. I vote the teaching.

There is my two cents...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll be ok. I do believe he has the potential to make one or two pro bowls in his career but he's not going to be in the likes of Ed Reed.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that we aren't hearing much about Collins is a good thing.

Collins will be fine.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all thought Nick was gonna be a pro bowler and i still think he can be...

but i think more realistically hes gonna be a guy who doesnt screw up a whole lot. Not a game breaker... but you can trust him. and im ok with that.

It is always a good thing when you do not notice a player for constant mistakes and that seems to be the case with Collins, he has leveled off from the few glimpses 2 years ago. But as you noted, I would much rather have a guy that I sometimes forget is on the field(Collins) than one we continually notice(Manuel, Carroll, etc.). He still has some upside and hopefully will develop into the playmaker we all saw coming prior to last year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has all the physical tools and athletism that you need to succeed at the safety position. He tackles decent and takes pretty good angles on the field.

But I see three major areas preventing him from becoming that pro-bowler that you speak of.

1. Instincts... on some places he seems to smell the play out very well and makes a play. But moreover he seems to be a reactive player than not.

2. Football IQ - I have never met Nick in person, so to talk about his intelligence is unfair to him. However from what I have seen on the field and what you read is that he struggles at diagnosing the plays. Far to often he is out of place, now is that him or the running mates around him.. most noteably the guy playing SS. But moreso, I think it is more related to number 3.

3. Coaching - Look at the development of our corners vs our safeties in the past year. Washington vs Schott. We are developing better talent at the corners, where Lionel is responsible for them, than at safety. Watch the play of the young corners and they are becomming very fundamentally sound.

Then look to the safety position (hmmm, Schott) and see that they are tentative, taking bad reads, positions and angles on plays. One thing last year and in the Pit game was after the CB let the WR go... consistantly from safety to safety the exchange was blown. So either they aren't being taught very well, communication between the CB/S or we really lack quality at the position. I vote the teaching.

There is my two cents...

Good analysis. At this point Collins looks like he is going to be an average player. That's disappointing, considering that he was a second round pick. I think we've gotten so used to bad play at the safety position that many of us are satisfied when they just don't screw up. But safety is one of the better playmaking positions on defense, and I think we should expect more dynamic players there. That's why Bibgy's performance on Saturday was so refreshing.

With the entire defense looking improved this year, maybe we will get more of that, but Collins has been very quiet so far. I suspect there is a coaching problem, considering how little we have to show for all the high draft picks and free agents we've had at that position since Schottenheimer has been here.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is his third year...the year when many players show what they will be over their careers. I believe Nick Collins will hit the scene this year. he D-line is finally in place to allow the secondary to make plays...and I believe we will see him and Bigby..or whomever the starter is opposite Collins...chasing the QB alot. I think he will be an upper echelon safety, who makes 2 or 3 pro-bowls in his career. Unlike many of his peers, I see him as well above average in every aspect of his game..pass defense, run defense, and blitzing....rather than a one dimensional highlite reel player who blows people up or is extrordinarily talented in pass defense but lacking toughness. If it all comes together, he has the skills to be our next Butler. ...a guy who does everything at a high level. And keep in mind, LeRoy is my favorite recent Packer

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts