Nice piece of Packer memorabilia I snagged.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recently bought a Brett Favre and Dan Marino signed football off of Ebay. It came equipped with a Certificate of Authenticity and is very much legitimate. Thought I would show you guys and get your thoughts.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks sweet - did you ask them if that is a UV protected box or case ? Very important. As the owner of a frame shop that does alot of memorabilia work - I would definately look into it if you find out otherwise.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sweet. I'm looking into buying a Dwight Gooden autograph, so I've been studying every certified autographed card I can to make sure I buy a legit one. But it looks like you got a pretty sweet deal there. Definitely jealous! Haha.

OP
OP
S

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks sweet - did you ask them if that is a UV protected box or case ? Very important. As the owner of a frame shop that does alot of memorabilia work - I would definately look into it if you find out otherwise.

The case is mine, it came shipped in a plastic bag. As far as it being UV protected I have no idea.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those signatures and ball cover will fade if not in some kind of archival glass - consider having it re-mounted with a musuem mount.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not too bad. i'd love to own that. maybe once i get to the point in my life where i don't have to scrape for rent every month. heh.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that all glass/plactic provides UV protection. Air on the otherhand, I think that's what you need to keep it from. An air tight case will prolong it's life. I'm no art purveyor, or collector so you may want to seek casing advise from a pro. Sweet grab.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that all glass/plactic provides UV protection. Air on the otherhand, I think that's what you need to keep it from. An air tight case will prolong it's life. I'm no art purveyor, or collector so you may want to seek casing advise from a pro. Sweet grab.

I thought my 100th post would be spectacular - but I guess it's just gonna be work.

I own and operate a custom art and frame shop. I have framed and boxed everything from footballs to a Japanese flag from WWII complete with blood spatter and mortar holes. So I'll have to consider myself a pro in this matter. Air tight cases certainly help, but, UV protection is a must and is not provided by all glass/plastic by any means. Plus, your not worried as much about the ball as the signatures.

Light is a common cause of damage to collectors. Paper, bindings, and media (inks, photographic emulsions, dyes, and pigments, and many other materials used to create words and images) are particularly sensitive to light. Light damage manifests itself in many ways. It can cause media and dyes used in documents, photographs, and art works to fade or change color. Most of us recognize fading as a form of light damage, but this is only a superficial indication of deterioration that extends to the physical and chemical structure of collections. Light provides energy to fuel the chemical reactions that produce deterioration. While most people know that ultraviolet (UV) light is destructive, it is important to remember that all light causes damage. Light damage is cumulative and irreversible.

Essential for conservation framing

Proper Lighting Techniques

Choose subdued lighting effects that will not reflect into the glass, especially when you are not using reflection control products.

Add a sense of atmosphere by using wall lights or sconces on either side of your framed piece.

Do not display your football in direct sunlight. Even with protective UV-blocking glass, prolonged exposure to the sun’s heat can destroy it.

Use incandescent bulbs to light your ball. Incandescent lights have only 4% of their rays in the damaging UV range. (Fluorescent lights, on the other hand, have a high concentration of UV rays and should not be used to light your ball.)

Illuminate your art at the lowest light level possible for enjoyment.

Unfortunately, the sun is not the only source of harmful UV light rays. All light sources, whether natural or artificial, have some of their components in the ultraviolet range. The most drastic visual effect of exposure to UV light is the dramatic fading of colors.

For this particular football have a case made using museum grade UV blocking acrylic, this will block over 99% of UV light which is known to cause damage over time.

PS If anyone ever has any questions about how to protect,frame,or preserve their memorabilia - don't hesistate to send me a message.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sweet. I'm looking into buying a Dwight Gooden autograph, so I've been studying every certified autographed card I can to make sure I buy a legit one. But it looks like you got a pretty sweet deal there. Definitely jealous! Haha.
I have a Gooden autograph. I pulled it from a pack of baseball cards a couple years ago. He signed a piece of wood, and it's set into the thick card, with the signature in a window like cut out. It's pretty neat.

I got a Favre autographed football several years ago, and only paid $95 for it. Of course that was before he was as popular as he is now.
The biggest thing is to keep the ball out of direct sunlight, which will fade the sigs fast. Packone is 100% right on what he says. If you spend that kind of money on a ball, take the extra money it takes to get a top quality case to protect it!

I like collecting football cards (and others) and pulled signed cards of AJ Hawk and Will Blackmon this past year. The Hawk one REALLY got me excited!

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Favre autographed football was free. Won it in a sweepstakes. I really wanted the grand prize which was a trip to Tampa Bay to see the Packers play there.

I don't like footballs for autographs, they don't age well.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a sweet football you've got there, but does anyone know what the "343" is for? Anyway, definitely jealous.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what is the 343???

A Google search says...

On November 12th, 1995, Marino broke the NFL record for career passing yards when he eclipsed Fran Tarkenton's mark of 47,003. On November 26th, Dan broke Tarkenton's record for most career touchdown passes by throwing number 343 against the Indianapolis Colts.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
343 was the second place number of TD's, Fran Tarkenton had 342. That is the only number I could think of :)

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
343 si the number of Interceptions that Favre is going to throw this year :thumbsup:

However, just to placate you cheeseheads, 343 is the number of career completions that Favre has exceeded Marino by, thus putting him in first place in that category

Gotta have a Viking Fan 'splain things to ya ? :razz:

Link

Pack93z

Reaction score
343 si the number of Interceptions that Favre is going to throw this year :thumbsup:

However, just to placate you cheeseheads, 343 is the number of career completions that Favre has exceeded Marino by, thus putting him in first place in that category

Link

Hmmm sorry Vikes, 343 was amount of completions Farve had last year. But maybe that signifies the completions it in the season for Farve to beat the record. Favre has (5021) - Marino (4967) = 54 more completions. But why is it under Marino's name anyway?

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:

Link

Hmmm sorry Vikes, 343 was amount of completions Farve had last year. But maybe that signifies the completions it in the season for Farve to beat the record. Favre has (5021) - Marino (4967) = 54 more completions. But why is it under Marino's name anyway?

You are correct Pack93z. In my haste to be a smart ***, I did not look close enough.

Disregard my 'splain. :oops:

As to why is under Marino's name :shrug:

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
vikesrule said:

Link

You are correct Pack93z. In my haste to be a smart ***, I did not look close enough.

Disregard my 'splain. :oops:

As to why is under Marino's name :shrug:

LOL.. I had to check my Wisconsin math myself. But it still could be the reason, but I like the fact the Tark got knocked down another peg.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.. I had to check my Wisconsin math myself. But it still could be the reason, but I like the fact the Tark got knocked down another peg.

HA! And you notice how many Vikings players are on those lists!
At least in the last category there are two, count 'em two Vikings ahead of Favre.

Consecutive Games Started
1) Jim Marshall........ 270
2) **** Tingelhoff.....240
3) Brett Favre...........237
4) Bruce Matthews.....229
5) Jim Otto................210

And Favre won't be able to surpass Jim Marshall, since he will be retiring after this year :thumbsup:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts