Nice Job by that Jim Bates led Defense

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're both right. The offense couldn't control the ball for more than a few seconds, and the defense didn't do anything to get the Vikings off the field. Pathetic both ways tonight.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is it on the O if the D was on the field the whole second half? The D's job is to get off the field and they didn't. I still don't think they've realized that the Queens' game plan in the second half was to run outside.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
17 points isnt that bad. minus roman,carroll(no penalties, give him a new contract), and horton, that defense played well. Horton got a PI call on him and allowed a 30 yard reception that sealed the game at the end.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
granted the first 8 min drive in the 2nd half was on the D, but then the O goes 3 and out. those boys on D are exhausted. the O hardly gave them any rest and they were right back out time and time again.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, sixone220, that would be taking other facts into consideration, and peope dont do that here. we just look at stats and judge that way. :roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats something to look forward to. with our luck we'll get a 5th pick bust or something.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
170 yards rushing to a team that rushed for what last week ? 16 yards ?AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP, the defense is not the most talented group on the face of the earth. They perform and survive on mostly hustle...which is physically taxing. That defense spent the entire second half on the field and was spent...the offense provided no relief.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHAT?!?

The defense, after being on the field for almost 80% of the game(37+minutes), gave up 13 points.

Vikings other 7 came on an INT return.

Sorry folks, this one is squarely on Brett Favre and the Offense.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
WHAT?!?

The defense, after being on the field for almost 80% of the game(37+minutes), gave up 13 points.

Vikings other 7 came on an INT eturn.

Yes, in away. That Offence really has no full arsenol of weapons due to injurys. Not an excuse, just a fact. The amount of them is abnormally large for any Team to overcome.
The defence is improved from last year and getting better, just needs some better performances in the secondary. I hope a trade might happen in the off season to enhance that area. An equal compliment to Al Harris on the other side would be great.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Respectfully, I disagree guys. This was the same as last time we played the Queens. The D couldn't get off the field in the second half and we lost. They didn't get any help from the O, but they gave up 120 yards rushing in the second half. That sucks.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Cheesehog.

YES I agree... As matter of fact, I was sitting here just thinking about what might have been had we not lost Green, Walker, Davenport, Ferguson to injury.

The packers also need better play from the Oline.

The defense HAS gotten a WHOLE lot better.

On the other side of that coin, can you imagine what it would be like THIS season if we till had last year's defense?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
WHAT?!?

Vikings other 7 came on an INT eturn.

Brett did throw three bad passes; that much I saw... and yelled at the screen (in process) - causing quite a few of the Members to wonder (what the hell..?).

I want to know why... Bates (Master Bates, that is) could not stop 64(Vikings) dead in his tracks... He was their bull-rusher and the only thing on that Offense which was allowing them most of that yardage. Four times, did they run the other way, getting hardly any yardage at all... But, with their 64, they went straight at KGB, who was at least 50 pounds under-weight... and Bates put no one over there to assist.... We were getting no penetration up the middle in the 2nd half - whereas the first half was outstanding defense --- what changed? Did I miss something?

Right before the Half - it was all Brett, just like the SB - and Double-D was gone... TD!

This time around, I say the Coaching Staff didn't adjust to the counter moves by Mike Tice... Time and again - this seems to be the issue.... ALthough......... I will say this - there were more than just several times where I did NOT see the Players executing, like they did against Atlanta. Very, very frustrating to see what looked like Green Bay buying into their own hype and press articles about this game... Sherman was (at times) allowing these guys some leeway and they did not follow thru... especially on Offense. To me, it looked like Brett was not leading his passes, like he should... or was it that the Wideouts were running shorter patterns(?)... either way, it wasn't clicking on all cylinders, last nite. Scott Wells cost us several times again - which is incredibly disappointing...

The Defense was outstanding in the first half - why no ooomph in the second? They came out after half-time and were amazingly F-L-A-T... It seemed like Bates wasn't trying to make any adjustments at all.... 'Course, it could be just me....

Anyone else?

Oh, on the Draft pick - I still say we should let Houston have the RB, from USC - I'll take Matt Leinart.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the "lack of a run stopping defence" did rear its ugly head in the 2cd half, but the defence was on the feild an awfully long time also. Unfortunitly with the talent Bates has in the secondary, he can't afford to bring in a linbacker too close or a corner to cover.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit I was blindsided by this one. I really thought the defense had put it all together last week, and the first half seemed to prove that. Then they collapsed in the second half, just like they did at Minnesota. Except this time there were no injuries and no excuses. I was amazed by the fact that the Packer defense never adjusted to those outside runs. They were running it at KGB a lot, so he has to take some of the blame, but still, when you've got an undersized DE against an oversized OT, you've got to give him some run support. Where were the linebackers and DBs? This is the first game where I thought Jim Bates really blew it.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:
You're both right. The offense couldn't control the ball for more than a few seconds, and the defense didn't do anything to get the Vikings off the field. Pathetic both ways tonight.

Just like the last meeting. Starting out well then choking.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is true.

13 pts is damn good, considering BJ is better than Culpepper anyway, we did ok. Even with Moore running wild, 13 pts...i like it.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i pin this one on the offense--brett favre, recievers dropping passes, mike sherman's failure to recognize his defense was winded and call high percentage plays to actually get a first down in the second half and not showing any confidence in samkon gado...hell its everyone's fault

some things i noticed, defensively

-jason horton should not be on the field, never, ever...i said that last year when reggie wayne burned him by six or so steps...and a stupid play (and a stupid defensive call to leave collins to cover the deep half of the field all by his lonesome) cost us big on a drive that gave minnesota a crucial three points...i say 2nd or 3rd round we look for a cornerback

-i continue to doubt aaron kampman, he continues to come up big, a heck of a game...he is becoming the KGB of the d-line...meaning you don't hear any name BUT his...Colin Cole had a nice play or two, Grady had one stuff that i remember, KGB i think had one pressure...
*on what i just said...do you see what i'm saying?!?!?!? my case for drafting a defensive player (pref. a defensive lineman)...they're overachieving, but even so, they're still not that good, no depth, and not a lot of talent...grady jackson isn't doing his job as the run stuffer...i am more and more impressed with oregon's DT haloti ngata...he would be a force on our d-line

-i'd also say get rid of KGB while he still has some value, maybe get an extra pick

-i'm sick of getting killed by tight ends (alright, on the vikings "h-back") but jermane wiggins, 7-67, big catches, runs after the catch, my theory for moving barnett to the outside to cover these guys looks like a better and better idea every game,

-i continue to renounce anything bad that i said about nick collins

-we gotta vote al harris onto the pro bowl roster, he simply deserves it

-through typing this post i made up my mind...yeah we should get rid of KGB

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts