Nhl 2010-2011

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said it was a clean hit, I said I agreed with he NHL that is wasn't worthy of a suspension. He was comparing it to a clean hit, so of course there will be differences.

I'm not saying Torres meant to injure Seabrook. He didn't leave his feet or lead with the elbow.

But the problem is how the NHL explained their decision. The rule says the head cannot be the principle point of contact and in that case it was. But again, Campbell says in the release about the video of a defenseman and forward coming together face to face and deeming it legal. This wasn't the case in the Torres hit at all. He then said the rule was not intended for shoulder to head hits but yet in the video they issued to teams, there are 2 examples of shoulder to head hits that they deemed illegal.

So basically the league referring to a play that was nowhere near similar outside of the area it occurred in doesn't validate their decision at all. And Campbel saying what the "intentions' of a rule were or were not leaves far too much room for an endless number of interpretations. And with that comes the convenient bailout loopholes for the NHL when they'd rather not make a tough call on an issue.

I think Bob McKenzie said it best. The way the rule is writen, what is considered a legal hit and what is an illegal hit is more complex than ever.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bob McKenzie said it best. The way the rule is writen, what is considered a legal hit and what is an illegal hit is more complex than ever.

We can at least agree on that.

I think Campbell was defensive because he knew his decision was going to be controversial and you can see it in his wording. I'm glad he is stepping down just because the league needs to start off fresh next year as they do more to eliminate headshots from the game.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxLs-g9lPEc&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Michael Ryder Questionable Hit on Blair Jones - ECF Game #5 2011‬‏[/ame]

Didn't see this until today, not even a penalty called. :huh:

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can at least agree on that.

I think Campbell was defensive because he knew his decision was going to be controversial and you can see it in his wording. I'm glad he is stepping down just because the league needs to start off fresh next year as they do more to eliminate headshots from the game.

I don't know.

The NHL went out of their way to publicly profess they would be cracking down on head hits but a lot of people wonder how serious they really are, obviously myself included. And I think we can both agree there is no consistency on their part when it comes to disciplining them.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that video I just posted shows there is little consistency. I do think it is a tough job and no matter who is reviewing these hits and what rules they implement there will always be questionable hits people debate days after.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8-1. 4-0.

Getting closer! But seriously the Bruins are simply out classing the Canucks in all three zones.

What shocks me is the fact they are getting beat at their own game. They are being out passed, and when the tempo ramps up they cannot keep up with the Bruins. Lu is letting everything in and the power play that is suppose to be their bread and butter has dried up.

Obviously needs to turn around quick if they want a chance winning this series.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big win tonight, the Canucks were the better team tonight and deserved the win. Lu responded and had a huge night.

******' right Lappy.

Go 'Nucks.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats Moose! You guys are one step closer! I watched that game closely, Canucks played well, they earned that shutout after the Bruins coming off of two high scoring games. That's hard to do. I want to say of the Bruins, they still have an incredibly good team! This series is not over yet. My heart is still telling me Canucks in game 6, possibly Bruins take them to OT in dramatic fashion, but looking at both these teams... Wow. Just wow. This is such an exciting series. No clearly established winner, both teams have shined with brilliance... just game after game of awesome hockey. As a hockey fan, I delight in a series such as this. I can say that a little easier because (sadly) my team isn't in it so I'm not having a meltdown right now over the series. But I think no matter if your team is in it or not, we all as hockey fans can appreciate this series. I'll be rather sad to see it end.

Still, Canucks in game 6 take the Cup in OT. Sorry Bruins...

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5-2 but the Canucks put up a decent showing and the game was much closer than the score.

All comes down to game 7 in Vancouver. Should be an interesting Wednesday night.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Freakin game 7!!! I was so sure it would end last night too!!! These Bruins are tough, but so are the Canucks! This is gonna be epic on Wednesday night!

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't stand so many players on the Canucks its not even funny. Their entire top line are some of the biggest whiners/divers I've ever seen. none of the antics they pull belong in this league. Burrows' actions all series have been bush league to say the least.

The Canucks are just soft. They are getting pounded and are not responding in the slightest bit. Kesler got drilled in game 2 and has done nothing since. The Sedins get repeatedly beat on and do nothing in response. Burrows exaggerates every time hes touched and bites players. Moose, idk how you can say putting fingers near someones mouth and you should expect to be bitten. ABSOLUTELY NOT. there is something called a face wash in hockey and it happens every skirmish in every game. only dirty/******* players would ever bite down on someones finger. the fact that he wasnt suspended for game 2 is a complete joke.

Luongo is massively overrated. 15 goals allowed in 3 games. pulled for the 4th time, benched for a game against the Hawks. I find it hilarious the people that try and defend him. he is a meh goalie on a very above average team which he is trying his very best to lose this series for. Keep putting on those massive pads and dropping to your knees Luongo! Really shows off your athleticism. pffttt. Oh and not to mention runs his mouth after game 5 about how he would have stopped the goal Thomas let in, then proceeds to let in 3 softies in game 6. not only that but his justification for the comment was that he hasnt heard Thomas say anything nice about him, seriously Luongo, get over yourself.

18-7 lead in goals for the Bruins and they forced a game 7. three very close games in Canada and three blowouts in Boston. Almost impossible to predict who wins and it would be unheard of for a team to play so badly in a series on the road and still win. As much as i don't want it to happen i think VAN is gonna pull it out. We'll see though. Thomas has been consistent and solid. If Boston can bring their physical game to VAN then i could see them stealing the cup. oh and i would LOVE overtime. Now with the Sedins guaranteeing victory i hope even more for Boston to crush their dreams

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Canucks are soft, if Lu is overrated, if Thomas is a brick wall, they should easily be able to beat the 'Nucks on their own ice Wednesday night, but yet you doubt it yourself.

A face wash does not and never will involve fingers in the mouth of another player.

I love that Daniel made the prediction, now he just has to man up and back it up with his play on Wednesday night.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I cannot believe is the team letting Thornton shoot a puck at Lu in the pregame skate, or how Daniel let Marchand use his head as a punching bag (with the ref starring right at them). That makes me nervous for game 7 more than anything.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad to see Raymond is not able to play in game 7. Hope he is 100% for next season because if his hands ever catch up to his feet the Canucks have another star in the making.

Hamhuis is a possibly, I doubt he will play and if he does I question how effective he will be but it is something positive.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all the things i've listed are most definitely true. why the Bruins didn't easily take care of this series comes down to simple logic. The Canucks are an incredibly deep and talented team and when at home, the Bruins have had extreme difficulty matching up with all this talent. Has Luongo played well at home? yes he most definitely has, but in each of those games how many really legit/strong scoring chances did the Bruins forwards create? not many memorable ones. Off the top of my head, the only time in VAN the Bruins generated good chances/offense was period 2 of game 2, and they scored 2 goals.

Now when you switch the setting over to Boston, the forwards are flying, creating chances, and destroying Luongo. Why is this? they are the home team, getting the last change, getting the match ups they want. Its the same story for Vancouver in Boston as it is Boston in Vancouver, neither coach/team has been able to solve the match ups the home team presents. Which is why i am not confident in Boston winning a game 7, and why this series has gone 7 games.

Which leads me to believe that if Boston can play the physical game that they had at home in Vancouver, they will greatly up their chances. They know that the games in Vancouver all could have gone their way which has to instill loads of confidence. if they can score on Luongo early it could get very ugly.

Also, there is zero, zero, zero, zero, ways to justify Burrows' bite. Any form of justification is an excuse. what he did was dirty, and bush league. It does not belong in the NHL and Burrows is certainly establishing a poor reputation around the NHL. Saying Bergeron all but deserved it for putting his hand on his face is nothing short of a biased opinion, an opinion which you will find yourself among the vast vast minority.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you are saying in regards to Burrows but you simply do not stick your finger in the mouth of another man, period. Bergeron is at some fault in my mind, you are allowed to believe whatever you wish.

Yes, the first goal is obviously important and whoever is a more physical team will have a huge edge, nothing Earth shattering there.

The big question for me is does Lu have one more great game left? He better because I know Thomas does.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game 7 tonight!!! I can't wait for it, you just know this is gonna be an intense game. I'm still pulling for the Canucks but the thing that worries me a little bit is the Bruins have been outscoring the Canucks.... by quite a bit. If the Bruins open up another 3 - 4 goal lead and the Canucks have no answer, I fear the Bruins may take this. The Canucks have a huge advantage with being at home though, so that evens things out a lot. Hopefully the Canucks can tighten down their goaltending, they simply cannot allow the Bruins to score that much on them. Moose, what on earth was going on with the goalies in those games? Do you think it was the fault of the goalies or a breakdown in D. A lot gets blamed on the goalies when in fact it has more to do with inadequate defense, inability to clear zone, .... I used to play goalie and there was nothing I loved more than a defenseman who did his job well, it made things a hell of a lot easier. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with the Canucks here. I really think they should of had this series wrapped up at game 6. Whatever occurred during those high scoring games had led the Canucks to a game 7 and could land up costing them the Cup. I think the Canucks should win this game tonight, they are at home... if they can find a way to keep the Bruins out of their zone and out of their net. We know they are capable of doing it, just look to game 5!

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was both bad goal tending and the defense being caught napping for a good part of the three road game disasters. Lu let in goals he shouldn't have, no doubt, but the defense put him in a bad position a good portion of those those games. Lu is one of the best in the world when he is on his game (and he often is), but he is such an emotional player I have always thought that worked against him and his ability to be as consistent as other top guys.

The keys to the game are simple to me, can Edler bounce and shut down guys in our zone while punishing bodies in the neutral zone? Will Lu be able to put game 6 out of his mind and play big in the biggest game of his life? And will the twins back up their words (because one speaks for the other) and play up to their talent?

So many careers will fairly, or unfairly be defined by tonight's game. Not only that a cup would even legitimize the Canuck franchise and it would make sure the team would never leave the city of Vancouver. Personally it would mean June 15th, 2011 would be just as sweet a memory as February 6th, 2011 was.

Nerves are already shot.

Go 'Nucks.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well all but over tonight, 3-0 going into the 3rd. I wouldn't be posting if i wasn't confident in the score holding up.

HILARIOUS that Sedin guarantees victory, and then is lazy and commits mental errors like taking care of your man off a face off leading to the first goal. Not to mention he and his brother are -3 in the game.

Some blame towards Luongo on the first one, i feel like he was off his angle when the puck was passed into that cluster and eventually one-timed into the corner. Don't think he had much chance though. 2nd goal was pretty much all his fault, you can't let a point shot that you see clearly hit you in the chest and drop for a perfect rebound. 3rd goal was a weird play but gotta keep that puck in front of you!

i really feel like those blowouts are taking their effect in this game. The Bruins all have their legs and are winning races to pucks. The Canucks look slow and tired. Clearly the ability to "rest" their players when they held massive leads are helping Boston tonight.

Ultimately, its looking like Loluongo is choking in the biggest game of his career and all is right in the world! The team that has a massive lead on aggregate is proving they deserve it. Can't wait to hear about the destruction and riots in Vancouver tonight!

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The better team won the game and won the series, doesn't make it hurt any less.

Maybe next year.

Maybe.

/Drunk.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luongos inconsistencies, bruins physicality, and the Canucks injuries on D are the three main contributions to the Bruins cup wins. You could just feel and see that the Canucks were hurting that game, especially their defense. The Bruins forwards were first to pucks all night long and kept the hitting up, very impressive road game from them.

The only player that deserves any credit from the Canucks tonight is Kesler. From the interview before puck drop you just knew he was gonna be in the game, and he seemed like the only one who was. The Sedins were a joke this series, only a couple points each and very few of those points had any significance. He should be ashamed of himself for predicting a win then contributing nothing all game (-4 on the night). I would flat out be embarrassed to have a teammate like Burrows. ALL SERIES he was exaggerating and diving and did again in the third period tonight. Even Pierre made mention of how the Bruins players were yelling at him to drop the act and end the game with some respect.

All in all the Bruins have shocked lots of people in the hockey world. Many believed this was the Canucks series, but their lack of physicality was their downfall. Bruins quite literally beat them.

Edit: As i expected in my earlier post, there are many, many, reports of violence and rioting in Vancouver. Some has resulted in serious injuries...ridiculous.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kesler was a beast, battling through whatever injury he had and still had a solid game and even had some jump. If the Sedins had the heart he did the series wouldn't have been close, HE has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Not happy about the Vancouver "fans" rioting in the streets, hopefully no one gets seriously hurt and the police take care of it and arrest anyone involved.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats to the Bruins! That was an awesome series. I was pulling for the Canucks but after watching the first period, I knew that it was not to be. I can tell by the way the Canucks just seemed to be lagging and as JC said, injuries on D just took their toll. The Bruins were fierce on the attack and the Canucks, though outshooting the Bruins, had no answer. Boston has one hell of a goalie in Thompson, they have an incredible future with him. It was also nice, at least for me, to see former Flyer Mark Recchi finally get his Stanley Cup after such a long career. As for the Canucks, may they not hang there heads in shame but look to the future they have when they pull all they have together. Lu is already awesome, he will only improve with time. Kesler is just beyond awesome, I felt worse for him after the Bruins won it than all the other Canucks combined. His pure emotion just broke my heart. The Sedin twins can only hope to be the player that Kesler is now. If they ever do, beware of the Canucks!

I really enjoyed that series, both teams should be proud of themselves for making the journey and being a part of it. I think that's one of the best series I've seen in a long time. It wasn't always pretty, bad hits, biting fingers.... but at least you can't say it wasn't interesting.

Congrats again to the Bruins and fans as well as the Canucks and fans! They are both awesome teams and they both deserved to be in that series.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Days after and I am still not sure how to feel.

Anywho.

Salo should be back and at a discount, I'll be happy to have the vet return for one more run. Bieksa sounds like he will stay, knowing he will be taking less money then he could get on the open market because he wants a cup and loves playing in Vancouver. Ehrhoff on the other hand could walk, but hopefully with the money they saved with Salo they might be able to get something done.

The core is in place, and while they need and hopefully will add some grit this off season the team is set to make another deep run next year.

Always next year.

Thank God for the Packers and their new shiny rings.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts