Nhl 2010-2011

CheeseHeadInCanada

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm, I work at Jersey City and Vancouver and I follow the Manitoba Moose fairly closely. From talking to employees from our Manitoba stores it doesn't seem like anyone cares about the moose out there? I mean,sure it's only AHL hockey but it's pretyy damn exciting. I was also at the Coyotes vs Canucks game this past sunday, and I ran into a few people wearing Jet's jerseys on the Sky Train. I brought up the Jets and we started talking about how they're from Manitoba and they said they would obviously get better attendance than Atlanta & Phoenix, but he doesn't think they would get the support everybody thinks they would get. Again, that's only two peoples opinions but regardless.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Moose get respectable AHL numbers, but frankly people aren't willing to make the same sort of commitment that they would for an NHL team, simply because there's no good rivalries! Would rather go see the Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins ect rather than whatever teams are in the AHL (Hersey Bears, Chicago Wolves, Worchester Sharks, Wilkes-Burrie Penguins ect ect ect)

I think most people realize that they're cheering for a farm team that feels more like "Canuck Prospects" than our own team.

CheeseHeadInCanada

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which Makes sense, and I agree with that, I just think the NHL is worried something similar may happen to them if they bring them back? Me and some friends are going to the Moose game tonight and tomorrow night, they're in town to play the Abbotsford Heat. The Heat usually get about ~5000 fans a night, these two games are both sold out.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fan support was never an issue when the team left, it was ownership issues and arena issues.

Now we've got a new arena, great ownership, and you can still get a Go Jets Go chant started anywhere in the city at any big event. The NHL has recognized that and said that we are in line to receive the first available team, and at the moment, it appears like the Coyotes or possibly the Thrashers are ready to be moved.

CheeseHeadInCanada

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that's the case, it would be good to get more Canadian teams in the league, thats what the NHL needs. Canadian fans are by far the most passionate.Take the picture for example, I went down to Phoenix & Colorado last spring break with my dad. In that picture I'd say its about 80% Canuck Fans? Thats what the whole stadium was like.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the first Coyotes home game against the Red Wings, when the wings score it looks and sounds like a Red Wings home game, there was THAT many Red Wings fans there...

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a big time Devils fan. Hockey is my #1 sport to play and watch and its really the sport im passionate about. So obviously this year has been brutal for me. the Devils completely suck and there are no excuses to be made. but im a die hard and ill continue to attend and watch every game i can!

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a big time Devils fan. Hockey is my #1 sport to play and watch and its really the sport im passionate about. So obviously this year has been brutal for me. the Devils completely suck and there are no excuses to be made. but im a die hard and ill continue to attend and watch every game i can!

You gotta stick by your team through thick or thin... or else you might end up like the Islanders... on the verge of collapse/relocation/bankruptcy

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
I've only been to one game so far this season, 01/01/11 in Pittsburgh to watch the Caps take out the Pens. The second Winter Classic I've been to (Chicago / Detroit was my first). Loved the game under the lights, though could have lived without the rain.

Grew up watching the Hawks. I lived in northern Indiana and one of my friend's dads was their equipment manager. We got to see a lot of practices and a few games. Got to know some of the players decently, Larmer, Roenick, Belfour Hasek, Chelios, Grimson. Good times!

I was in attendance when the Hawks got to skate the Cup in Philly, honestly feared for my well being leaving the game, but loved it all the same. Wouldn't mind seeing the Hawks get revenge for being swept out in '92 by the Pens, but don't really see that happening this year...

SyX

Reaction score
Flyers still #1 in the Eastern Conference. GO FLYERS!

Flyers and Canucks tied for the Presidents' Cup right now. Winner at the end of the season is guaranteed not to win the Stanley Cup.

Long way to go, though. The Caps could get it together, put on another great regular season run and then roll over and die in the playoffs again. Heck, they probably won't even need to put on that great regular season run for that.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've only been to one game so far this season, 01/01/11 in Pittsburgh to watch the Caps take out the Pens. The second Winter Classic I've been to (Chicago / Detroit was my first). Loved the game under the lights, though could have lived without the rain.

Grew up watching the Hawks. I lived in northern Indiana and one of my friend's dads was their equipment manager. We got to see a lot of practices and a few games. Got to know some of the players decently, Larmer, Roenick, Belfour Hasek, Chelios, Grimson. Good times!

I was in attendance when the Hawks got to skate the Cup in Philly, honestly feared for my well being leaving the game, but loved it all the same. Wouldn't mind seeing the Hawks get revenge for being swept out in '92 by the Pens, but don't really see that happening this year...

HA!! I grew up a HUGE Hawks fan as well. Loved Chelios, Belfour, and all those other great players as well. Buuuut I do follow the Capitals quite alot in this region these days. You kind of have too, and I am hoping they put on another run and go deep into the post season. Ughh the suspense with that team kills me. They are up and down this year. They must make some serious adjustments with the defensive standpoint and trade for someone soon!!

SyX

Reaction score
HA!! I grew up a HUGE Hawks fan as well. Loved Chelios, Belfour, and all those other great players as well. Buuuut I do follow the Capitals quite alot in this region these days. You kind of have too, and I am hoping they put on another run and go deep into the post season. Ughh the suspense with that team kills me. They are up and down this year. They must make some serious adjustments with the defensive standpoint and trade for someone soon!!

As you can see from my post just above yours, I am about as frustrated as I can be with the Caps. We were at least partial season ticket holders for 9 years. We were there to watch the Red Wings skate the Cup and have been there for all the meltdowns since.

Bruce needs to set up a system other than "get the puck to Ovie and Semin" and some good goaltending would be nice. They're better in that respect this year than last year, but still not where they should be. Help on D would be great.

I have faith in Ted that he'll try to make a move, he knows the potential of the team, and knows they are a few pieces away.

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you can see from my post just above yours, I am about as frustrated as I can be with the Caps. We were at least partial season ticket holders for 9 years. We were there to watch the Red Wings skate the Cup and have been there for all the meltdowns since.

Bruce needs to set up a system other than "get the puck to Ovie and Semin" and some good goaltending would be nice. They're better in that respect this year than last year, but still not where they should be. Help on D would be great.

I have faith in Ted that he'll try to make a move, he knows the potential of the team, and knows they are a few pieces away.

I'm from Baltimore as well. I agree with all of this. Ovie not putting the puck in the net is hurting us not only in the final score but I think in moral.

SyX

Reaction score
I'm from Baltimore as well. I agree with all of this. Ovie not putting the puck in the net is hurting us not only in the final score but I think in moral.

Yep, the rest of the team looks to him to provide the spark. Not to say it's bad to feed off one player, but when he's cold, the rest of the team really doesn't pick up his slack. When he's on, players like Semin, Laich and Green seem to be productive as well.

There's enough talent on the team to carry them deep into the playoffs if they could just get it together at the right time.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Devils are playing better under Lemaire...its become increasingly obvious that MacLean had no idea how to coach an NHL team and that Langenbrunner's time in NJ was up.

Albeit the Devils are still last in the NHL they are 5-0-1 in their last six games. Including their two most recent wins over both Pittsburgh (I was there, pretty good time) and Philly.

Although not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it would be a miracle for them to get there because of their terrible first half of the year.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bigtime Hawks fan here as well.......and the way they're playing is killing me.

Yeah, they lost a lot thanks to the cap purge but they still have too much talent to be playing the way they are.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats a real shame about Sydney and Malkin, especially Malkin being out for the season!

Also, Matt Cooke? Hate him. Should be banned for life from the NHL. Dirtiest player in the NHL, even dirtier than Carcillo and Pronger combined!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts