NFL Tier List

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been a minute since I made a new thread so I figured I'd make this one as we await the season to progress.

Okay so as you guys know I think we're still right in the swing of things as potential threats to make the Superbowl and win it. Having said that considering this past year, I know I'm in the minority of that mindset and whatnot. So my question to you all is in your estimation, where do we stack within The NFCN, The NFC Conference, and in the NFL.

NFCN: Now for the division I think we're right in the thick of it.

Chi: I still think Chicago will dial it back as a lot of things went their way last year, and I don't think Trubisky will get them over the top.

Min: Minnesota will try to keep up, but I really don't fear their defense nor do I trust Kirk Cousins' arm.

Det: Detroit imo is the team we should keep our eyes on, I feel like everyone is so focused on Chicago and Minnesota, but The Lions could creep up and make things interesting. I think we'll win the division soundly this year.

NFC: Honestly there is no team in the conference that really scares me.

Dal: Dallas I think is overrated, and the only reason their defense was good last year was because of the ******/mediocre competition they were facing last year. The only impressive win they had were against The Saints, and I'll address them in a second. Dak is an slightly above average QB, Zeke is the heart and soul of that team, and they will go as far as he can carry them. I expect Dallas' Defense to get exposed this year. In fact I'm on the record saying they'll miss the playoffs.

Phi: Out of all the teams in the conference, this team is the one that concerns me the most. I do like Wentz and Philly has the weapons on offense to make it into a shootout or a slow and ugly game. It's kinda pick your poison with them. Plus there receivers are HUGE. Fortunately they have a tendency to play down to their competition and but should Wentz return to MVP form, we could have a problem on our hands.

LA: I've lost all respect for The Rams after they got exposed by New England the way they did. I was never of the mindset that this team were head and shoulders better than everyone else. Hell they got lucky to get passed N.O. I don't think Geoff is as good as everyone makes him. I think their defense is exceptional, but as we proved when we played them, they can be scored on. I think we match fairly well again them if i'm being honest.

N.O: Ah New Orleans...Where do I begin with these guys. On one hand as long as they have Drew Brees, you have to respect this team and always see them as a potential threat, especially considering how good they were at the beginning of the year. But then you look at the second half of the season and you could clearly see that they were losing steam. The Saints I see as a team that individual that burns himself out by exerting all his energy at the beginning of a marathon run. I don't doubt that Brees and The Saints will try to go on a revenge tour this year, but personally I think that will be to their detriment. To quote one of my favorite lines from the movie The Crow: "Victims...Aren't we all?"

ATL: I hope i'm wrong, but for some reason I get the feeling that they're going to pose a threat this year. I won't lie, I would rather avoid this team, not because I don't think we can beat them, but to rather avoid the headache. On paper they look good. Let's just thank God that they always end up in a grueling battle within their division.

SEA: Under no circumstances do I fear this team...at all. Out of all the teams, this is the team I REALLY would like for us to face in the playoffs. This team has been a thorn in our side over the past several years. I have no reason to dislike RW but for some reason I just can't bring myself to like him. But in any case. I expect them to be in the hunt this year, but I actually see them missing the post season this time around. I think it'll be a first for RW. They're an average team at best. Nothing on their team really scares me, offensively or defensively. We SHOULD'VE won up there last year. That game I blame on Rodgers. But I think we match up VERY well against them.

AFC:

K.C: Imho this is the one team that makes me nervous the most. I would be less nervous if our team was more physical, but we're not typically. Our game against them this year will really tell us a lot about ourselves, and if we are a dominant power within the NFC, let alone the NFL. I'm sorta hoping Mahomes digresses now that their is more tape on him. This will be a true test for the defense.

IND: It truly amazes me that every single time we face off against Indy, they've managed to get the better of us. Rodgers has never beaten Luck before, and BOTH times we were capable of winning. Though I blame more of our defenses in the past and Capers **** poor schemes. In any case I always hear how good they are, but typically they end up blowing it because they can never give poor Luck the help he deserves. In a way he resembles Rodgers a lot in that regards. I think we match up well against them overall. But the run game is really going to determine who comes out on top.

N.E: And now we have The Champs. By far the most disciplined team in the NFL today. You know they are always going to be the favorites so long as Brady and Belichick will be there. The thing about New England is that they do everything so well, that half of the time, the opposing team beats themselves. This game is the ultimate chess match. One wrong move, one fatal mistake and they will take advantage of. We saw how close it the game was between these two last year until that fumble just killed our momentum. Make no mistake, this team is beatable, and I believe we can beat them, but this team has to get to Brady, which is a tall task as he's so quick to release the ball. Belichick is crafty in the defensive schemes. It's truly a pain in the ***. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to them, but dammit! We owe these guys! Besides could you imagine guys like Colin and ESPECIALLY Skip Bayless' reaction should Rodgers beat Brady in the SB? As much as I don't want to see them, I kinda do for that reason alone, and to quote Ric Flair: To be the man, you have to beat the man!

Those are my thoughts. Let me know how you guys think we stack up against the other "contenders"

My Dark Horses this year are: Det, Hou, Cle

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do a 'tier ranking' just before every season, after training camp and exhibitions, so I'll check back with you then.
But I agree, I don't see any team in the NFC that is all powerful or head an us.

OP
OP
Do7

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do a 'tier ranking' just before every season, after training camp and exhibitions, so I'll check back with you then.
But I agree, I don't see any team in the NFC that is all powerful or head an us.
Here's mine based on what I said.

The only reason I kept Chicago in Tier B is out of respect for what they did last year as they are division winners, but I still think they'll take a huge step back, same for NO.

As you can see I really don't see any team head and shoulders better than everyone, not even New England, though I was considering putting them in A Tier. But compared to everyone else, I like our chances on any given Sunday.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree there isn't a team significantly better than the rest of the NFC on paper. The Packers, coming off a losing season and with a new coaching staff, are definitely not the favorite to win the conference either though.

In my opinion the Rams, Saints, Bears and Eagles have a better roster than the Packers entering this season.

Out of the AFC the Patriots, Chiefs, Colts and Chargers look to be more talented as well.

With that being said I believe there's a chance the Packers end up hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February if they catch lightning in a bottle this season.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't look at it this way. Every year a couple of teams rise, a couple fall, and typically six, give or take, of the previous year's playoff teams return. Winning and losing are habits, where the whole can be greater or less than the sum of the parts.

I don't bother comparing teams. There a few you can reasonably judge will be good, others bad. How good or bad remains to be seen. The question I ask is whether this team is championship caliber based on decades of observing what those kinds of teams look like.

This season is unique in the Rodgers era. New head coach, second year GM, second year DC. Then there are all the new players expected to be starters. Then there are the incumbent young players who need to progress: King, Burks, Jackson, the young WRs. We've not seen a roster rebuild like this in a long time. They do not usually work out in year 1, but I will suspend judgement until the conclusion of week 4 when the character of a team starts to emerge.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to write da Bears off. That offence is designed to suit a mediocre QB like Trubisky and they have a defence to paste cracks over. It'll be us vs Bears this season. I'd call this dead even. Also harsh to write Rams off just because of the NE game.

Bears, Rams and Saints are all right up there at same level as us....if not better.

NE as always floats to the top of the bowl. KC will hard to hold too.

Reaction score
Im sorry but we are average right now. I would consider it over achieving this upcoming year if we won a first round playoff game.

OP
OP
Do7

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry but we are average right now. I would consider it over achieving this upcoming year if we won a first round playoff game.
Then you're seriously underestimating this team, and giving other teams far too much credit. The Chiefs may be good, but they are terrible defensively. We may not be a better offense right now, but to say we are in no way equal to the chiefs is pushing it. They are better but NOT THAT better.

If we truly were an average football team then you should've put us in the D tier. Those are teams I consider average.

Reaction score
Then you're seriously underestimating this team, and giving other teams far too much credit. The Chiefs may be good, but they are terrible defensively. We may not be a better offense right now, but to say we are in no way equal to the chiefs is pushing it. They are better but NOT THAT better.

If we truly were an average football team then you should've put us in the D tier. Those are teams I consider average.

At the end of the day I hope that you are correct and that I end up being wrong on this one

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...riots-chargers-eagles-saints-rams/1675452001/

Caught this not too long ago

I'll take us at 14 to start, not bad. We got a little work to do but we should get things running by seasons end on offense. I'm just not high on some of the junky defensive players we drafted and say it's time for Bulaga to go.

I will say though that I should pound the hammer on that author's head for putting Minny at 6 though. Utterly ridiculous!!

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must be those training camp vapors.

Anyone who can spin last season as anything other than near rock bottom is drinking the kool-aid.

That's not to say this team won't be special, but it's atypical to expect a new coach, with a dramatically new scheme on offense, combined with a headstrong qb to come out swinging at championship caliber teams.

We have talent, but I will be happy to A) win the division, and estatic if B) we make noise in the playoffs year 1.

The NFC north is a TOUGH division this year. I'm hoping for 11-5, but it's much more likely a squeaky 9-7.

I see 2020 being our "this is it... It's time" year.

We have the pieces, but a couple BIG questions on offense. Still no clear #2 wr. Questions at TE, Online needs to gel and stay healthy, rb game looks good, but untested to date as a gameplan ( easy to run big when we throw 50 times a game while losing)... And the biggest one... Can AR stay healthy, AND play within the confines of the new game plan?

If all those things are +, I like our chances against anyone. But odds are some of them go -.

Reality is, playing the odds, it's a wildcard (maybe) team in 2019.

Sorry.

*** EDIT*** forgot a BIG ONE. Matt Lefluer is part of McVeys squad, but to date is still relatively unproven as a game planner/ playcaller. It was a big concern when he got hired, and we haven't seen it in action to date. He didn't call plays in LA when rams got good, and TN wasn't all that special last season.

Sorry to be the cold water... Again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like your optimism and hope you're correct but at this point it's realistic to consider the Packers a mediocre team. They might end up surprising a lot of people but I'm not convinced about that before seeing them improve over last season.

I'm just not high on some of the junky defensive players we drafted and say it's time for Bulaga to go.

Bulaga is an elite right tackle when healthy. With not an adequate backup on the roster it doesn't make any sense to think about replacing him at this point.

Reaction score
I'm curious buddy. What did you see last year? I mean granted we lost, but a lot of those games we could've easily won and they typically one or two possession games.

I saw a team that struggled to do the little things right consistently. Like we seemed to avoid getting small yardage and first downs and instead opted for too many down the field plays. Or the special teams being undisciplined and costing us yardage and opportunities. Defense was better based on the eye test. My qualms are pretty much offense and special teams. I dont think we have an identity on offense and everyone is doing their own thing. Rodgers is great which is the only reason we were close in those games. I hope we can find a good system that everyone can buy into.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree there isn't a team significantly better than the rest of the NFC on paper. The Packers, coming off a losing season and with a new coaching staff, are definitely not the favorite to win the conference either though.

In my opinion the Rams, Saints, Bears and Eagles have a better roster than the Packers entering this season.

Out of the AFC the Patriots, Chiefs, Colts and Chargers look to be more talented as well.

With that being said I believe there's a chance the Packers end up hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February if they catch lightning in a bottle this season.
If Rodgers stays healthy and catches fire like he's been known to do, and the defense continues to improve, anything's possible.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a team that struggled to do the little things right consistently. Like we seemed to avoid getting small yardage and first downs and instead opted for too many down the field plays. Or the special teams being undisciplined and costing us yardage and opportunities. Defense was better based on the eye test. My qualms are pretty much offense and special teams. I dont think we have an identity on offense and everyone is doing their own thing. Rodgers is great which is the only reason we were close in those games. I hope we can find a good system that everyone can buy into.
I agree about the "little things." Certainly that is a coaching problem and I am optimistic that the new staff will rectify it. No reason on God's green earth that the basics are not ingrained in all the players.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Rodgers stays healthy and catches fire like he's been known to do, and the defense continues to improve, anything's possible.

There's seems to be an unanimous opinion that the defense significantly improved last season. Taking a look at the numbers that's not true as the team finished only 22nd in points allowed in 2018. They only finished worse twice during Capers tenure as the defensive coordinator.

OP
OP
Do7

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's seems to be an unanimous opinion that the defense significantly improved last season. Taking a look at the numbers that's not true as the team finished only 22nd in points allowed in 2018. They only finished worse twice during Capers tenure as the defensive coordinator.
Well injuries did play a role in that to be fair. I mean most of those games we were in there with the exception of the Detroit game. I'd like to think our defense gave us a chance to win those games.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense "felt" better with their different looks. But did not have the horses they have now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well injuries did play a role in that to be fair. I mean most of those games we were in there with the exception of the Detroit game. I'd like to think our defense gave us a chance to win those games.

The Packers will suffer injuries on defense in 2019 as well. For whatever reason it seems than fans felt way better about the unit's performance last season it actually was.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts