1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL Team in LA?

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by GakkofNorway, May 22, 2006.

1. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think? Will it succeed or flop?

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh GREAT!!!! Now Minnesota will want a PRO TEAM too!!! :wink: :lol:

3. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ROFL Cheesey! Best line I've seen on here in awhile.

As for the topic - the only good reason we need an NFL team here in So Cal is so that we can have a chance of the Packers or Steelers coming to town! Otherwise it would just be an annoyance for everyone else when blackout rules start applying for a team you don't care about.

4. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    didn't they try that with the Rams and Raiders? Didn't work out to well either time.

5. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    All it accomplished is to create a bunch of displaced Rams and Raiders fans! (myself NOT among them) :lol:

6. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    good for u kiddo.....stand proud

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,920
    Heard a rumor on Fox Sports Radio last night that there is "talk" that the San Fransico 49'rs might move....I can not recall the person who said it, but seemed interesting...

but I think the town of Frisco would do what ever it takes to keep them there...

N.O would be a more likley choice to move..I do not see the NFL adding another NEW team..

8. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    haha nice!

neither deserve a team....

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I know M.sucks............they had a team in L.A., and BOTH times they ended up leaving.
    Maybe the Vikings could move out there........The L.A. (lazy as$) Vikings! :lol:

10. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The NFL is seeing $$$$ in the LA market, with large corporate types willing to pony up for suites, advertising, etc. and they also really want a presence in the # 2 televisoin market in the country.

It is, I feel, inevitable the NFL will be back in LA within 2 years. The question is whowill make the move. It seems that NO would be the front runner at this point, but if I were a Viking fan I would be somewhat concerned. The Twins and Gophers just recently got stadium deals, but no action was taken on the Vikes.

11. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes cheesey and they could rent bigger boats to party on.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Your RIGHT Yooper!!!!! They could rent the......."viQUEEN Mary!!!" :lol:

13. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    LA is too fluffy of a town to take in and support a hard nosed football team.
    BTW: would the most likely team to move be the Saints or what?

14. PackItUp

PackItUp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I talked to a reliable contact of mine in the league office today, he told me that the leagues goal is to get a team to L.A. within the next five years.

The NFL is not interested in expansion so they are clearly looking to move an existing team out to Los Angeles.

According to him the 3 most likely candidates as of now are Arizona, San Diego, and believe it or not the Green Bay Packers, the league sees this as the perfect opportunity to move its smallest market to its second biggest.

Just though I'd share that little piece of inside info with all you guys, Good day.

15. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Screw an introduction!
    Everyone say hello to PackItUp!
    lol j/k bud....welcome..... :welcome:

16. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    there's no way the're moving the Packers out of Green Bay!!!

NEVER!

I would honestly shoot myself in the face before I saw the Packers in the hands of another city!

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    This has to be a load of "you know what". The Packers CAN'T leave Green Bay......EVER. It's OWNED by the community. It can't be sold, ever. So whatever inside source you are talking about better stop hitting the sauce! :wink:

18. PackItUp

PackItUp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you think Cleveland Browns fans would have felt the exact same way in the late 80's if someone told them they'd be in Baltimore within a decade?

Things are about to change big time, with Favre's retirment imminent the Pack are looking at about 7-8 consectutive losing seasons, this will only make it easier for the league to pull the plug so to speak

19. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

WOW.....2 post so far.......0 for 2.

A couple more posts and you could equal the vikings Super Bowl record!!!

20. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    LMAO DePack!

Honestly, I HIGHLY doubt it PackItup. Greenbay is one of the teams contributing to a money pot for the lower revenue teams, Green Bay has become financially stable.

After Favre retires, the Packer won't necessarily be terrible. They do have a solid young QB with potential, and are building form the ground up.

21. PackItUp

PackItUp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Look, I can see how this may seem absurd, Forbes rates the Packers as the 13th most valuable franchise in the league

However, if you have vision and look down the road, it's fairly apparent that they have reached their apex in terms of value to the league and will soon start dropping as the product on the field worses and in turn so does fan loyalty

Erstwhile the lower valued teams such as San Diego and Arizona are on the rise with young talent and newer venues, it kind of adds up, I wouldn't panic, but you can't discount this possibility

As for the assertion that Aaron Rodgers is "a solid young QB", well lets just say that doozy caused me to spit my morning coffee all over my monitor, an instant classic to be sure

22. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    NOTHING can or will happen with GB under the current CBA, which if I am not mistaken goes through 2011. Furthermore, as long as future CBA's cover revenue sharing, salary caps, etc. as the previous ones have done NOTHING will happen to the GB franchise. You could paint a scenerio in which owners greed trumps common sense and these current ammenities disappear. Under those circumstances, you would have a situation much like baseball several years ago(and to some extent today), where revenues are disparate and smaller market franchises could be in trouble. You still would have the problem of public ownership of the franchise, tradition, and other factors that would make it extremely unlikely that this would happen.

This sounds to me like a pipe dream, with a miniscule chance of ever happening.

23. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Spardo!

PS - A-Rod is young, only 23 years old. He is solid because he was heavily considered for the #1 selection by the niners. The coaches have said he has looked good in camp, has shown improvment and leadership. AND I said he had potential, meaning he can evolve into a star, and that he isn't one already.

Please do enlighten us. :)

24. PackItUp

PackItUp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So he's solid simply because the 49ers considered drafting him, I love that logic, must mean Ryan Leaf is solid too because the Colts considered drafting him instead of Peyton Manning

Frankly Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers are both garbage, getting drafted high ensures nothing in this league

25. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    way to ignore spardo's post.

and yes, being considered for a first doesn't transfer to a solid NFL career. however, the difference between Smith and Rodgers is...you haven't seen Rodgers play yet. calling him garbage is just as premature as calling him solid.