NFL Team in LA?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoping to lure team, L.A. to fork out funds for improvements

May 19, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LOS ANGELES -- The City Council voted Friday to spend $25 million on improvements around the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in hopes of luring an NFL team back to the city.
Advertisement

Under the plan, the city Community Redevelopment Agency would issue $25 million in bonds for street widening, site clearing and other work near the Coliseum, which would be paid for by expected tax revenue from the stadium.

In coming years, the city estimates it could spend up to $121 million more for additional transit and other improvements, which would also be funded by stadium taxes.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has said public funds will not be used for a proposed $800 million renovation at the Coliseum. The city-funded improvements approved by the Council amount to incentives to make the city's NFL pitch more attractive.

"The dollars will be limited to improvements around the stadium, not the actual construction," said Villaraigosa spokesman Joe Ramallo.

City officials hope NFL owners, who meet in Denver next week, will bring a team to the Coliseum by the 2009 season.

Under the city plan, the Coliseum would be extensively renovated with money from the NFL.

The Coliseum is used by the University of Southern California football team. It hasn't hosted a professional team since the Raiders left after the 1994 season.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

What do you think? Will it succeed or flop?

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Oh GREAT!!!! Now Minnesota will want a PRO TEAM too!!! :wink: :lol:

ROFL Cheesey! Best line I've seen on here in awhile.

As for the topic - the only good reason we need an NFL team here in So Cal is so that we can have a chance of the Packers or Steelers coming to town! Otherwise it would just be an annoyance for everyone else when blackout rules start applying for a team you don't care about.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
didn't they try that with the Rams and Raiders? Didn't work out to well either time.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
didn't they try that with the Rams and Raiders? Didn't work out to well either time.

All it accomplished is to create a bunch of displaced Rams and Raiders fans! (myself NOT among them) :lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard a rumor on Fox Sports Radio last night that there is "talk" that the San Fransico 49'rs might move....I can not recall the person who said it, but seemed interesting...

but I think the town of Frisco would do what ever it takes to keep them there...

N.O would be a more likley choice to move..I do not see the NFL adding another NEW team..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know M.sucks............they had a team in L.A., and BOTH times they ended up leaving.
Maybe the Vikings could move out there........The L.A. (lazy as$) Vikings! :lol:

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is seeing $$$$ in the LA market, with large corporate types willing to pony up for suites, advertising, etc. and they also really want a presence in the # 2 televisoin market in the country.

It is, I feel, inevitable the NFL will be back in LA within 2 years. The question is whowill make the move. It seems that NO would be the front runner at this point, but if I were a Viking fan I would be somewhat concerned. The Twins and Gophers just recently got stadium deals, but no action was taken on the Vikes.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LA is too fluffy of a town to take in and support a hard nosed football team.
BTW: would the most likely team to move be the Saints or what?

PackItUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I talked to a reliable contact of mine in the league office today, he told me that the leagues goal is to get a team to L.A. within the next five years.

The NFL is not interested in expansion so they are clearly looking to move an existing team out to Los Angeles.

According to him the 3 most likely candidates as of now are Arizona, San Diego, and believe it or not the Green Bay Packers, the league sees this as the perfect opportunity to move its smallest market to its second biggest.

Just though I'd share that little piece of inside info with all you guys, Good day.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackItUp said:
I talked to a reliable contact of mine in the league office today, he told me that the leagues goal is to get a team to L.A. within the next five years.

The NFL is not interested in expansion so they are clearly looking to move an existing team out to Los Angeles.

According to him the 3 most likely candidates as of now are Arizona, San Diego, and believe it or not the Green Bay Packers, the league sees this as the perfect opportunity to move its smallest market to its second biggest.

Just though I'd share that little piece of inside info with all you guys, Good day.

Screw an introduction!
Everyone say hello to PackItUp!
lol j/k bud....welcome..... :welcome:

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there's no way the're moving the Packers out of Green Bay!!!

NEVER!

I would honestly shoot myself in the face before I saw the Packers in the hands of another city!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackItUp said:

This has to be a load of "you know what". The Packers CAN'T leave Green Bay......EVER. It's OWNED by the community. It can't be sold, ever. So whatever inside source you are talking about better stop hitting the sauce! :wink:

PackItUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you think Cleveland Browns fans would have felt the exact same way in the late 80's if someone told them they'd be in Baltimore within a decade?

Things are about to change big time, with Favre's retirment imminent the Pack are looking at about 7-8 consectutive losing seasons, this will only make it easier for the league to pull the plug so to speak

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackItUp said:
Don't you think Cleveland Browns fans would have felt the exact same way in the late 80's if someone told them they'd be in Baltimore within a decade?

Things are about to change big time, with Favre's retirment imminent the Pack are looking at about 7-8 consectutive losing seasons, this will only make it easier for the league to pull the plug so to speak

WOW.....2 post so far.......0 for 2.

A couple more posts and you could equal the vikings Super Bowl record!!!

Reaction score
LMAO DePack!

Honestly, I HIGHLY doubt it PackItup. Greenbay is one of the teams contributing to a money pot for the lower revenue teams, Green Bay has become financially stable.

After Favre retires, the Packer won't necessarily be terrible. They do have a solid young QB with potential, and are building form the ground up.

PackItUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, I can see how this may seem absurd, Forbes rates the Packers as the 13th most valuable franchise in the league

However, if you have vision and look down the road, it's fairly apparent that they have reached their apex in terms of value to the league and will soon start dropping as the product on the field worses and in turn so does fan loyalty

Erstwhile the lower valued teams such as San Diego and Arizona are on the rise with young talent and newer venues, it kind of adds up, I wouldn't panic, but you can't discount this possibility

As for the assertion that Aaron Rodgers is "a solid young QB", well lets just say that doozy caused me to spit my morning coffee all over my monitor, an instant classic to be sure

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackItUp said:
Look, I can see how this may seem absurd, Forbes rates the Packers as the 13th most valuable franchise in the league

However, if you have vision and look down the road, it's fairly apparent that they have reached their apex in terms of value to the league and will soon start dropping as the product on the field worses and in turn so does fan loyalty

Erstwhile the lower valued teams such as San Diego and Arizona are on the rise with young talent and newer venues, it kind of adds up, I wouldn't panic, but you can't discount this possibility

As for the assertion that Aaron Rodgers is "a solid young QB", well lets just say that doozy caused me to spit my morning coffee all over my monitor, an instant classic to be sure

NOTHING can or will happen with GB under the current CBA, which if I am not mistaken goes through 2011. Furthermore, as long as future CBA's cover revenue sharing, salary caps, etc. as the previous ones have done NOTHING will happen to the GB franchise. You could paint a scenerio in which owners greed trumps common sense and these current ammenities disappear. Under those circumstances, you would have a situation much like baseball several years ago(and to some extent today), where revenues are disparate and smaller market franchises could be in trouble. You still would have the problem of public ownership of the franchise, tradition, and other factors that would make it extremely unlikely that this would happen.

This sounds to me like a pipe dream, with a miniscule chance of ever happening.

Reaction score
Thank you Spardo!

PS - A-Rod is young, only 23 years old. He is solid because he was heavily considered for the #1 selection by the niners. The coaches have said he has looked good in camp, has shown improvment and leadership. AND I said he had potential, meaning he can evolve into a star, and that he isn't one already.

Please do enlighten us. :)

PackItUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Thank you Spardo!

PS - A-Rod is young, only 23 years old. He is solid because he was heavily considered for the #1 selection by the niners.

So he's solid simply because the 49ers considered drafting him, I love that logic, must mean Ryan Leaf is solid too because the Colts considered drafting him instead of Peyton Manning

Frankly Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers are both garbage, getting drafted high ensures nothing in this league

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
way to ignore spardo's post.

and yes, being considered for a first doesn't transfer to a solid NFL career. however, the difference between Smith and Rodgers is...you haven't seen Rodgers play yet. calling him garbage is just as premature as calling him solid.

Members online

Latest posts