NFL says call was correct

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Company line. This is what I was expecting.

There was no way the league would say it was an interception. It would cause pandemonium further beyond the s***show already occuring. Plus, if they overturned the game it would set a lethal precedent that all games can be reviewed after they are played on a last second game winning play. Just realistically it wouldn't make sense.

Nothing will ever change the fact that last night may go down as the biggest blown call of all time in the NFL. Hoculi can finally rest peacefully I guess.

Either way we got screwed out of it. Time to move on and focus on taking our frustrations out on a lowly NO team. How they respond next week is what I am most interested in. It can either be bad or maybe the wake up call the team needed. Can't knock the opponents in their first three games though, SF, SEA, and CHI are all good football teams.

Dirrty Bear

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"The key phrase in the NFL's statement on the controversial Golden Tate touchdown catch is this:
A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here...
I completely understand the disbelief over the call as it does appear that M.D. Jennings 'had it' before Golden Tate, but in the strict interpretation of the rulebook, possession happens as two feet hit the ground. Therefore, 'simultaneous possession' must be ruled at the moment when players' feet hit the ground. It may defy logic - I described it last night to a friend as 'technically right, logically wrong,' particularly when you're arguing the idea of 'control,' but the NFL supports the call on the field after review. People will see this NFL release and maintain their viewpoints, I'd guess, but in my humble opinion, this was closer than the collective national conversation and outrage implies."

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was at game and still hurting. We knocked the hawks in the mouth at there own game. I paid over 300 dollars for three tickets and the NFL can't pay the real reff's a few dollars. This one really hurts.

if it was really "a few dollars" you would have a point, but its a lot more than that.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dirrty Bear, the problem with your conclusion is that Jennings "had it" and Tate never did. Simultaneous possession assumes that both players have possession of the ball. On that play, only one player had possession. Having your arm trapped against the chest of the man who caught the ball does not constitute "possession".

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dirrty Bear, the problem with your conclusion is that Jennings "had it" and Tate never did. Simultaneous possession assumes that both players have possession of the ball. On that play, only one player had possession. Having your arm trapped against the chest of the man who caught the ball does not constitute "possession".

Bingo. That is what blows me away, Jennings clearly had possession in the chest. I was listening to sports radio on the way home and long time ref Tunny said that was not simultaneous possession and it should not have been considered. He stated he didn't even have both hands on the ball when they hit the ground.

Next time, KNOCK THE DAMN BALL DOWN. Chances of it ending in a flukey TD are less than this debacle last night.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL states that the call is correct under the assumption that it was a "shared reception". This was just a way to cover their butts. The NFL is acting cowardly. Shame on them.

Female Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at game and still hurting. We knocked the hawks in the mouth at there own game. I paid over 300 dollars for three tickets and the NFL can't pay the real reff's a few dollars. This one really hurts.
I feel your pain. Just watching it on t.v. it's hard to come back from that horrible call. I didn't even want to watch the ESPN.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course they are going to stand behind the refs. They can't just come out and attack the refs. That's just not going to happen it would cause absolute chaos.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
This game has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have watched football for 11 years and cannot recall a play this obvious being incorrectly called. (Besides the Cardinals/Packers 2009 wild card ot game)

bytheriver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "it's just a game" statement is true....it is just a game, but the bigger picture is the integrity and honesty of the officials and players. When you are trying to teach your kids to follow the rules, be respectful, be honest,etc. ...and for right or wrong these are the people many kids look up to as a role model....this job as a parent becomes a lot more difficult.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have watched football for 11 years and cannot recall a play this obvious being incorrectly called. (Besides the Cardinals/Packers 2009 wild card ot game)

I think even that Cardinals no call does not hold a candle to this. At least one could say they missed hands to the face. This was just blatant favoritism or something else. Who knows.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL replacement official Lance Easley was apparently deemed not capable of officiating at the Division 1 college football level, less alone the NFL, Jim Corbett of USA Today reports.
Working as the side judge Monday night, the longtime Southern California high school and junior college official signaled the winning catch by receiver Golden Tate in the Seattle Seahawks' last-play, 14-12 win against the Green Bay Packers -- a call the world believes he blew by turning an obvious interception into a touchdown.
He wasn't deemed good enough to become a Division I college official this summer, according to Karl Richins and his staff of Division I college officials at Stars and Stripes Academy for Football Officials in Salt Lake City.
"I got to know Lance at a June academy I worked at in Reno and when he came to my academy in July," Richins said. "He's a very polite, good Christian gentleman, a good father to his son, Daniel, who was at my academy as well.
"But was Lance ready to work at the NFL level? Absolutely not."
Richins' staff determined that Easley, vice president of small business banking at Bank of America in Santa Maria, Calif., wasn't ready for Division I, the highest level of college officiating, never mind the much faster NFL game.
Richins said the biggest mistake Easley made was agreeing to become a replacement official in the first place. He said Easley had never officiated at a level higher than Division III and never voiced a desire to reach the NFL.
"I'm getting e-mails saying, 'Boy, you must be proud,'" Richins said on Tuesday. "This is not what we intended for our officiating students to do. We train officials to work at the Division I level.
"At no time do we say, 'We can train you for the NFL.' After three days at our academy, Lance was determined by our staff not to be ready for Division I officiating."

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my 2 snapshots of the Walden hit on Wilson.
You can see in frame 1 that Wilson is cocking to throw as the same time Walden is launching at Wilson's waist.
Walden doesn't take another step. He launches off that left food a split-second after this frame, as Wilson throws the ball a split-second after.

Then of course Walden lands his shoulder & head into Wilson's waist and thigh. Perfectly legal zone to hit a QB. There's really only a safe-2 feet, especially with a QB this short. Walden was right there.
This cost us an interception at the Seahawk 30 or so yard line, with all the momentum and 7 minutes to go.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

At first I thought it was because of the rule about going below the knees but then I was reminded that this does not apply when the QB is out of the pocket.
As for the NFL Statement it ranks right up there with the Warren Report as far as lack of credibility.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can see in frame 1 that Wilson is cocking to throw as the same time Walden is launching at Wilson's waist.
Walden doesn't take another step. He launches off that left food a split-second after this frame, as Wilson throws the ball a split-second after.

Then of course Walden lands his shoulder & head into Wilson's waist and thigh. Perfectly legal zone to hit a QB. There's really only a safe-2 feet, especially with a QB this short. Walden was right there.
This cost us an interception at the Seahawk 30 or so yard line, with all the momentum and 7 minutes to go.

I don't get it either, Frank.
What do they expect an opposing player to do?
Pull out an inflatable instant wall out of his pocket, throw it in front of the QB to stop him?
There are some hits that just CANNOT BE HELPED and it's a bogus flag on them.
Does the NFL not realize this?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL replacement official Lance Easley was apparently deemed not capable of officiating at the Division 1 college football level, less alone the NFL, Jim Corbett of USA Today reports.
Working as the side judge Monday night, the longtime Southern California high school and junior college official signaled the winning catch by receiver Golden Tate in the Seattle Seahawks' last-play, 14-12 win against the Green Bay Packers -- a call the world believes he blew by turning an obvious interception into a touchdown.
He wasn't deemed good enough to become a Division I college official this summer, according to Karl Richins and his staff of Division I college officials at Stars and Stripes Academy for Football Officials in Salt Lake City.
"I got to know Lance at a June academy I worked at in Reno and when he came to my academy in July," Richins said. "He's a very polite, good Christian gentleman, a good father to his son, Daniel, who was at my academy as well.
Richins' staff determined that Easley, vice president of small business banking at Bank of America in Santa Maria, Calif., wasn't ready for Division I, the highest level of college officiating, never mind the much faster NFL game.
Richins said the biggest mistake Easley made was agreeing to become a replacement official in the first place. He said Easley had never officiated at a level higher than Division III and never voiced a desire to reach the NFL.
"I'm getting e-mails saying, 'Boy, you must be proud,'" Richins said on Tuesday. "This is not what we intended for our officiating students to do. We train officials to work at the Division I level.
"At no time do we say, 'We can train you for the NFL.' After three days at our academy, Lance was determined by our staff not to be ready for Division I officiating."
Ya mean my sarcasm isn't really sarcasm???????

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/i-think-i-could-be-an-nfl-scab-ref.39468/

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is our favorite ref a few minutes after the called TD. I can't find the link to the video, but he says:

"Whoa, my meds are starting to wear off. Hey fellas, who won the game?"

. . . or add your own caption

Well, let's see here....
On the one hand I award it to one of the longest and best well known teams with a great winning history and class of the NFL.
On the other hand I give it to the home team since I want to go home and see my mommy in one piece.
Um......
Um........
Touchdown Seattle!!

Caption #2 by FF:
Hey guys! I'm the newest scab ref! I have never even put on this snazzy stripped shirt.
What does it mean? What do I do here? A little help here?
Seahawks coach: Just call a touch down.
Scab Ref: Um... OK... Touchdown!
*Crowd erupts*
Seahawks coach: Thanx!
Scab Ref: Wow! That was cool! Touchdown!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
"The key phrase in the NFL's statement on the controversial Golden Tate touchdown catch is this:
A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here...
I completely understand the disbelief over the call as it does appear that M.D. Jennings 'had it' before Golden Tate, but in the strict interpretation of the rulebook, possession happens as two feet hit the ground. Therefore, 'simultaneous possession' must be ruled at the moment when players' feet hit the ground. It may defy logic - I described it last night to a friend as 'technically right, logically wrong,' particularly when you're arguing the idea of 'control,' but the NFL supports the call on the field after review. People will see this NFL release and maintain their viewpoints, I'd guess, but in my humble opinion, this was closer than the collective national conversation and outrage implies."

Bear,

Possession when landing is not the issue here. It's about control and who got it first. Stop me when you disagree:

1. Jennings got two hands on the ball. Tate had one.
2. Jennings pulled the ball to his chest. Tate had his hand between the ball and Jennings chest. His right hand was on Jennings right arm.
3. Tate landed two feet first about the same time that he got both hands on the ball, which remained in Jennings chest area.
4. They both fell to the ground with both bear hugging the ball.
5. A scrum ensued and all hell broke loose.

I hope the above described the situation fair and square. Now, as you will see below, the rules don't focus on who touches the ground first. It's all about who controls the ball first. Don't confuse the definition of a catch with the definition of control.

The rulebook is clear (paraphrased below):

1. A catch is made if a player controls the ball and maintains that control through landing on the ground with two feet or body (page 13).
2. Control only requires a firm grasp on the ball. It is only one requirement of a catch. This is mentioned throughout the rulebook within clarifications of various rules (see Article 7, page 13 for an instance).
3. A simultaneous catch is not possible if a player controls the ball before the other. (page 47).

Jennings had control first, and never relenquished control throughout the entire process. Therefore, not only did he invalidate any simultaneous catch claim, but he actually was the only person who caught the ball.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFanCan,
All great points. I was about to dispute your notion that possession was not the issue, because the call was simultaneous possession and not simultaneous control. However, then I looked into the rules and found this nugget under simultaneous catch: "It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control." So I now happily agree with you. Jennings did have control first so it doesn't matter about what Tate was doing when Jennings established possession (by touching the ground).

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Wow.....Just wow. NFL Must have found these style refs on craigslist.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Good pics for evidence of BS calls.

Wilson was so far out of the pocket/tackle box that he should have been considered a probable runner during this play. Thus it should have been legal to hit him just about any way, minus helmet to helmet. Either way, I saw about 5 blatently obvious calls that even my 10- year old son pointed out were BS. Maybe they could have hired him instead.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure that somewhere on a Seahawks fan forum, they have still photos of Woodson ******* the Seattle receiver's back at the start of the final drive. There were lots of BS calls against both teams

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts