NFL Network-poops on you

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the Times Four board the subject came up that WFRV in Green Bay will be carrying the Packers-Vikings game under an agreement with NFL Net.
This issue sets me off faster than nearly anything.
This is a clear issue where the fans ultimately will be getting screwed...bad...from the 'kinder-gentler" NFL, a monopoly.
One fellow said the Madison and Milwaukee markets would be next..
My response...
----------------
THERE IS NO 'NEXT'!

I've had a burr under my saddle about this since I first heard about it. The folks willing to cough up the EXTRA bread for NFL Network will enjoy the game.

By agreement, the home teams can carry it locally, but outside the immediate area...THERE IS NO NEXT. You either pay for the dish, tell your cable company(located in Seattle and they don't give a damn what you think)you want them to carry it, or listen on the radio.

The commercial networks paid the NFL BILLIONS of dollars. To get the rights, they had to allow the NFL to begin covering games....which the fans pay for extra. The networks argued to allow the local city affiliates to carry the games which the NFL finally agreed to do. So WFRV gets the rights.

This is like buying a high-priced car, then the dealer telling the purchaser that you have to pay him like the car is a lease, on top of the purchase price. And you should be happy because you get the BMW, whiner.

The idea that the games are 'free' to most fans is a joke. You "pay" by buying the products advertised. Ever buy a Domino's pizza during the game? Buy Miller beer? You "paid" for that broadcast...etc. What the NFL wants is for you to keep paying at that level...to pay outrageously high ticket prices....and eventually they will tell the networks to go to hell and do all the games themselves....for which you will pay a premium.

All of you NFL apologists or saying the rest of us are cheapskates would have done well inside the former Soviet Union as snitches for the KGB. This is not free enterprise. This is a monopoly that says: pay an outrageous amount or go get screwed. Don't ever think those turds in New York are your pals. They are cold-blooded money grubbers, with an eye on your wallet. Pay at your own peril.

This is the nose of the camel under the tent. It is an issue that when the the camel is in the tent pooping, someone is going to say..."why didn't someone do something?". Get your scoop, the NFL feels the urge coming on.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It shouldn't stun anyone that gradually the price is going up. I used to be in retailing and it was a given that when you had a hot item, you could jack up the price and get it. i.e. until your competitor also got it. With no competition, guess who sets the price at what level. It's only a matter of time before these money grubbers kill, or seriously injure, the golden goose. But by then they will be multi billionaires and will put their loot into something else. I know this rant is nothing new...I just felt the need to spit it out.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're dumb enough to pay, they're smart enough to charge you.

You might have to
a) make a friend who has it.
b) go to a public place that carries the game.
c) receive and decode the signal from the satellite by different means otherthan the normal vendor delivery systems.
d) make some effort.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say if you don't have NFL network you may not deserve the game. That is truly the greatest staion on TV. I can see your point though if you have to pay extra. Here with my dish it's included at no extra charge so maybe that's why I'm not riled up.....Wait a minute, I'm not riled up cause I got tickets to the game. Wooooohooo. Sorry to gloat! LOL

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So...what we have here are people who don't give a crap because they are willing to spend the extra money and people who don't like it because they feel that the money they already do spend has been enough in the past and should be enough now to get the regular channels that have ALWAYS broadcasted football games.

I agree that it seems to be just another way for the NFL to take money out of the pockets of the middle class to fatten their own. They're trying to do wuite a number of things that ruin the purity of the sport. They want to have games in Europe, they want a team (or teams) in Canada. How far are they going to go until the NFL is just a joke? Why should I spend my money lining the pockets of the rich?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So...what we have here are people who don't give a crap because they are willing to spend the extra money and people who don't like it because they feel that the money they already do spend has been enough in the past and should be enough now to get the regular channels that have ALWAYS broadcasted football games.

I agree that it seems to be just another way for the NFL to take money out of the pockets of the middle class to fatten their own. They're trying to do wuite a number of things that ruin the purity of the sport. They want to have games in Europe, they want a team (or teams) in Canada. How far are they going to go until the NFL is just a joke? Why should I spend my money lining the pockets of the rich?

You don't have to line the pockets if you don't want. that is the capitalistic way. Everyone wants to make money. And if you are a publicly held company, you have a fiduciary responsibility to show profits and year over year growth. With rising operating and product costs (salaries, etc.) there needs to be net growth of income. Hence, new ways to grow the league.

While the league is not actually publicly held there are shareholders who need return on their investment. Without the net income for the owners aspect, this league would fold in a heartbeat.

Do I like the fact that I won't be able to see the game? No. Is it my "right " to see the game? again, no. Now is it my right to see anything on TV free? I have just been lucky in the past to have that capability. Used to be, that ALL TV was free. however, we only got 4 channels. Now we pay for the extra channels....NFL Network too.

This is nothing new. There was a big uproar when ABC got Monday night football. Not all areas had ABC. Same with when Sunday night went to ESPN. Not everyone had cable and could see ESPN. Guess what? You had to get cable (yeah, pay for it) in order to watch the game. Some fans in the rural areas went years before cable reached them. Some even had to wait for the advent of Satalite to get the cable channels. Nothing new

As with all things....you get what you pay for. This is America and what makes it great.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is still some misconceptions here. Let me try to clear it up some.

NFL Network = A (usually) basic cable channel a la USA, CNN, ESPN that is "Football 24/7" A varied collection of anything and everything NFL. They have a nightly wrap-up called NFL Total Access that has the latest news (and rumours and "insider" stuff). Player and coach interviews and other features. There is also "NFL Replay" - a new show that takes 4 of the best games from the previous weekend and shows them over with mix of original network video, NFL films, local radio commentators and post-game interviews (often shown during the relevant portions of the game). There is much much more on NFL Network. You should not have to pay more to get it but you may have to convince your cable operator to carry it.

DirecTV Sunday Ticket = All the network games every Sunday. Available only from DirecTV (at least for a few more years) at a hefty price. Very worth it for out of town fans - in our case out of 2 towns. If a game is on your local affiliate you won't see it on the Sunday Ticket channels but you'll still see it. You can also pay them another $99 premium and get some additional features like a channel that is always showing live red zone action.

Here I think is the rub -NFL Network is going to show 8 live games starting with a 3rd game on Thanksgiving day and continuing on Thursday and Saturday nights. They could have scheduled what could conceivably be Favres last home game. These games are supposed to be shown on the normal local market channels for each team involved.

All that said, there inevitably will be some fans that are unable to view a game that they previously may have been able to. A worthy gripe for certain!!

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, my folks have a similar problem - too many trees on their property. You need a "clear view of the southern sky" Fortunately for us our development is only 6 years old so no trees are tall enough yet!!

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:

You don't have to line the pockets if you don't want. that is the capitalistic way. Everyone wants to make money. And if you are a publicly held company, you have a fiduciary responsibility to show profits and year over year growth. With rising operating and product costs (salaries, etc.) there needs to be net growth of income. Hence, new ways to grow the league.

While the league is not actually publicly held there are shareholders who need return on their investment. Without the net income for the owners aspect, this league would fold in a heartbeat.

Do I like the fact that I won't be able to see the game? No. Is it my "right " to see the game? again, no. Now is it my right to see anything on TV free? I have just been lucky in the past to have that capability. Used to be, that ALL TV was free. however, we only got 4 channels. Now we pay for the extra channels....NFL Network too.

This is nothing new. There was a big uproar when ABC got Monday night football. Not all areas had ABC. Same with when Sunday night went to ESPN. Not everyone had cable and could see ESPN. Guess what? You had to get cable (yeah, pay for it) in order to watch the game. Some fans in the rural areas went years before cable reached them. Some even had to wait for the advent of Satalite to get the cable channels. Nothing new

As with all things....you get what you pay for. This is America and what makes it great.

---

Could you explain how the NFL monopoly is capitalism at it's finest. Wait, I know, THAT IS MODERN AMERICAN CAPITALISM. The big dog eats the little dog and the rest of you can pick through the leavings.

The NFL did all the dirty tricks in the world(including threatening the networks who paid for it's rights) if they bought the broadcast rights to USFL games and other leagues.

I guess in Wal-Mart America this is the new way.

When I grew up there was such a thing as free enterprise, where the table began level and you competed from there. THAT IS THE AMERICAN WAY.

This is plain old big business stealing from the lesser endowed.

It's disgusting.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
rabidgopher04 said:

---

Could you explain how the NFL monopoly is capitalism at it's finest. Wait, I know, THAT IS MODERN AMERICAN CAPITALISM. The big dog eats the little dog and the rest of you can pick through the leavings.

The NFL did all the dirty tricks in the world(including threatening the networks who paid for it's rights) if they bought the broadcast rights to USFL games and other leagues.

When I grew up there was such a thing as free enterprise, where the table began level and you competed from there. THAT IS THE AMERICAN WAY.

It's disgusting.

It is Capitalism at it's finest. You are free to start a league of your own and become a competitor of theirs. Just like you could become a car manufacturer.....or an oil company. Are you going to be as big a s them? probably not since they have the brand recognition etc.

The reason they are so big is because they were the first and they were succesfull. Don't hold that against them.

The USFL, World League, etc...had television rights and deals from the networks. They didn't succeed because of anything illegal from the NFL, they failed because WE didn't watch!

I wish my cable company offered NFL Network but it doesn't.

I will repeat this once more...It is not your RIGHT to watch certian games. You are ABLE to watch them IF you have certian things in place. And yes, that costs money. Do you have a RIGHT to free TV? no. Right now it is simply a priviledge that we have had for many years.

If I am not mistaken, the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks still does not allow the Blackhawk home games to be shown of free tv. That is his RIGHT.

Just being a fan of a team or a league does not entitle us to anything. Period. We are given opportunities. However, sometimes those opportunities come with a cost associated with them. You may watch the games on TV however you have to buy a TV!! Right?

A monopoly is where consumers are forced to have a product and there is only one or two providers (utilities for example) Watch football is a hobby for crying out loud.

Remember, you don't have to pay. And they don't have to show it to you!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster, the only reason they became so big and successful is because we already did watch and we do pay. They just want us to pay a little bit more and a little more and a little more until they can squeeze every last possible penny from us to line their own pockets.

This isn't capitalism it's extortion. They are exploiting the popularity of their product to make more money. How do they expect to sustain popularity if there is no give? That's how they became so popular in the first place. Now they just use that to make more dough.

We can't even listen to free game broadcasts anymore on the Packers website because the NFL wants to make money from that! Now they take the games away only for those willing to cough up the cash to get the super-expensive cable. I don't put a premium on entertainment and therefore I will not be spending the money to get the NFL Network.

I think they're only hurting themselves by limiting their exposure.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing against the points you made Rabid - although I don't believe the downfall of the NFL is imminent :lol:

lol...not iminent, but could erode over time. Much like it took several decades to build it could take several decades to fall.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing I really have to say about it is that the NFL. Made themselves on the backs of the middle class. When first concieved it was televised on Public access like ABC NBC CBS. Then came FOX which for all intensive purposes rocketed the NFL into the prominence it is today. The beuty of the old NFL was that you could generally get a football game to watch even if you were in the perverbial sticks with no cable. Now however we are seeing the wool come off the wolf.

How long before you see PPV Suberbowls and such. May seem farfetched but Vince McMahon of the WWF did it best reach out captivate your audience then strike it hard, I do remember when the wrestle manias were free. Then bang along came PPV.

Look at ESPN with thier insider crap. They have a captive audience. Will the NFL decline. Yes I do believe it will get too heavy with ticket prices. (Some say it has already)

I do agree that in a capitalistic society money making is the prime objective however you cannot do it at the expense of the little guy whom you built it on.

hdultraclassic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried to get DirectTV, but there are walls and trees blocking the satellite.

There's nothing they can do about it.

:(

:twocents:
I was told the same thing, mounted the dish on the roof, one hours work with my chainsaw, and it works great

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can still watch at least 3 games every Sunday morning and another one Sunday (usedtabe Monday) night on over the air free network TV. That is as much or more than you could 30 some years ago (when the MNF deal came down). The guy in the perverbial "sticks" has it as good or better than he ever did. Plus there is a good chance he'll see his local team's game which was never a guarantee in the "old NFL"

I would disagree that FOX made any significant difference. They just took the NFC games that CBS had at the time (1994 - fairly recent history).

Sure, you do have to pay for cable but honestly 72% (I looked it up) of the homes have cable - not quite as ubiquitous as the phone of course but significant nonetheless. Currently there is one game (MNF) - soon to be 9 that are only available via cable. Considering how long cable has been around I wouldn't say it is the beginning of the end by a long shot. Having 9 games on pay tv out of (hang on, gotta do the math - ok estimating) over 500 games ain't bad.

I don't know why wrestling went to PPV (honestly I don't know...oh never mind, that's another forum :rubeyes: ) but it probably had to do with people willing to pay for it there. If the NFL ever does it would be for the same reason. As long as folks keep buying the beer and trucks the networks will keep signing the contracts to bring us games over the airwaves.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can still watch at least 3 games every Sunday morning and another one Sunday (usedtabe Monday) night on over the air free network TV. That is as much or more than you could 30 some years ago (when the MNF deal came down). The guy in the perverbial "sticks" has it as good or better than he ever did. Plus there is a good chance he'll see his local team's game which was never a guarantee in the "old NFL"

I would disagree that FOX made any significant difference. They just took the NFC games that CBS had at the time (1994 - fairly recent history).

Sure, you do have to pay for cable but honestly 72% (I looked it up) of the homes have cable - not quite as ubiquitous as the phone of course but significant nonetheless. Currently there is one game (MNF) - soon to be 9 that are only available via cable. Considering how long cable has been around I wouldn't say it is the beginning of the end by a long shot. Having 9 games on pay tv out of (hang on, gotta do the math - ok estimating) over 500 games ain't bad.

I don't know why wrestling went to PPV (honestly I don't know...oh never mind, that's another forum :rubeyes: ) but it probably had to do with people willing to pay for it there. If the NFL ever does it would be for the same reason. As long as folks keep buying the beer and trucks the networks will keep signing the contracts to bring us games over the airwaves.

Great post packinsteel. Until directtv came along anyone outside the two teams area's was screwed, unless it was the national game of the week. You don't HAVE to pay for this, but at least you are given the opportunity to. We didn't have that opportunity 20 years ago. You can still watch your favorite team every week for free if you just go to a bar that has the Sunday Ticket (of course this usually costs me twice as much).

15 years ago when Sunday ticket just came out, most places didn't have it. I would take my father-in-law and 6 year old daughter to a bar in Philly that had a group of about 20-30 Packer fans every week. It was about an hours drive each way but well worth it.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see most of you must be "set" for Dec. 21st or you would be *****ing too.
The NFL is weaving it's magic: you will do almost anything they ask to see your favorite team. Think about it.

I can live without seeing the Packers, but this is a warning for the future. Once they own ALL the rights, they can charge what they want. Don't cry when you have to pay 30-100 bucks per game to see it at home, like they do PPV wrestling.

I will be happily in the "sticks" enjoying nature.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
trippster said:
rabidgopher04 said:

---

It's disgusting.

It is Capitalism at it's finest. You are free to start a league of your own and become a competitor of theirs. Just like you could become a car manufacturer.....or an oil company. Are you going to be as big a s them? probably not since they have the brand recognition etc.

The reason they are so big is because they were the first and they were succesfull. Don't hold that against them.

The USFL, World League, etc...had television rights and deals from the networks. They didn't succeed because of anything illegal from the NFL, they failed because WE didn't watch!

I will repeat this once more...It is not your RIGHT to watch certian games. You are ABLE to watch them IF you have certian things in place. And yes, that costs money. Do you have a RIGHT to free TV? no. Right now it is simply a priviledge that we have had for many years.

If I am not mistaken, the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks still does not allow the Blackhawk home games to be shown of free tv. That is his RIGHT.

Just being a fan of a team or a league does not entitle us to anything. Period. We are given opportunities. However, sometimes those opportunities come with a cost associated with them. You may watch the games on TV however you have to buy a TV!! Right?

A monopoly is where consumers are forced to have a product and there is only one or two providers (utilities for example) Watch football is a hobby for crying out loud.

--------------

Thanks once again for praising a monopoly. Also, thank you for giving me a good reason to tell professional football and the NFL to go to hell. I've been more interested in college ball for a few years anyway...until they want to extort money on their PPV nets.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I presume "They" is the NFL? If so then "they" already do own all the rights :|

You're welcome to come over for the game Net...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see most of you must be "set" for Dec. 21st or you would be *****ing too.

Actually, I'll be driving my family about 1000 miles to see it in person.

If they'd have just put the game on commercial TV.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
net said:
trippster said:
rabidgopher04 said:

---

It's disgusting.

--------------

Thanks once again for praising a monopoly. Also, thank you for giving me a good reason to tell professional football and the NFL to go to hell. I've been more interested in college ball for a few years anyway...until they want to extort money on their PPV nets.

Haven't a lot of college teams already gone to some sort of Pay per view?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts