NFL intercepts plan for bash at Soldier Field

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The city of Chicago wanted to open Soldier Field and charge $15 to show the Super Bowl on the Jumbotrons to raise money for charity.

The Chicago Park District, which owns and operates Soldier Field, inquired whether it could open the stadium for a "nominal fee" as a charity fund-raiser and show the game on its huge video screens.
In a memo, the NFL said policy prohibits "mass out-of-home viewing broadcasts" -- because they could water down television ratings.
Viewers in stadiums -- as well as other "outdoor festivals" -- are "not measured by the rating system," according to the memo from the NFL's legal department.
The NFL has control because it is the copyright holder of football telecasts. It also notes that all of its post-season games are on free over-the-air broadcasts -- an offering made possible because of high TV ratings, the league said.

They claim that it will cut into the TV ratings and cost the league money.
Even if they packed the place, 60,000 fans giving their own money to charity is going to hurt the NFL and their ratings for the Super Bowl?
It would have brought in one million dollars while they are charging 2.6 million dollars for a 30 second commercial.

What a bunch of greedy ***holes.
:rubeyes:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
that is just wrong, the nfl is getting pretty bad with some of the stuff they are pulling

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I read about this earlier today. What a bunch of ********.

Like PFT.com says --- there really is a big difference between 144,400,000 viewers and 144,338,500 viewers---

I hope Chicago does it anyway and pays whatever fine that's handed to them.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like PFT.com says --- there really is a big difference between 144,400,000 viewers and 144,338,500 viewers---

If there are a couple "no-shows" are you going to lambast bear fans for not being passionate enough about charities and the superbowl? :rotflmao:

OP
OP
Philtration

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am sure that they will not do it because of the lawsuites that would follow.
Paying a fine will just wipe out the money that they raised in the first place.

A sad situation when they were just trying to raise money for a good cause.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

If there are a couple "no-shows" are you going to lambast bear fans for not being passionate enough about charities and the superbowl? :rotflmao:

read

Zero2Cool said:

I am sure that they will not do it because of the lawsuites that would follow.
Paying a fine will just wipe out the money that they raised in the first place.

A sad situation when they were just trying to raise money for a good cause.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL......just getting one step closer to "pay for view" to ALL football games.
Like they don't make enough money already.
And WHY wouldn't 60,000 fans watching it on the jumbotron count as people watching the game? Thats REALLY stupid!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't a paying crowd a more accurate count of viewership??

It is a good thing for fans to go to an event with fellow fans, unless it is in criminal stadium like Filthydelphia.

The NFL is wrong on this one.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I and my wife went to downtown Milwaukee to the Auditorium to watch SB 31. They had two 12 foot screens set up there. It was fun being with all the other fans, plus it was indoors, so it was warm.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The city of Chicago wanted to open Soldier Field and charge $15 to show the Super Bowl on the Jumbotrons to raise money for charity.

The Chicago Park District, which owns and operates Soldier Field, inquired whether it could open the stadium for a "nominal fee" as a charity fund-raiser and show the game on its huge video screens.
In a memo, the NFL said policy prohibits "mass out-of-home viewing broadcasts" -- because they could water down television ratings.
Viewers in stadiums -- as well as other "outdoor festivals" -- are "not measured by the rating system," according to the memo from the NFL's legal department.
The NFL has control because it is the copyright holder of football telecasts. It also notes that all of its post-season games are on free over-the-air broadcasts -- an offering made possible because of high TV ratings, the league said.

Even if they packed the place, 60,000 fans giving their own money to charity is going to hurt the NFL and their ratings for the Super Bowl?
It would have brought in one million dollars while they are charging 2.6 million dollars for a 30 second commercial.

Thats what you get for being a football fan. The wide world of sports no longer thinks about its fans. Thats just too bad.

so phil, are you going to Miami to watch the SB? or are you going to boycott? Pretty impossible with those Bears in it eh?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil,

This does not make business sense for the NFL or their advertising sponsors. Let me tell why.

If the NFL allows a venue with 60,000 Bear fans watching the same video feed, those fans would not have the option of changing the channel when the Bears are down by 40 points, so the people paying for that advertising would get more bang for the buck. The NFL should encourage venues in Chicago that would take the remote control out of individual Bear Fans hands.

LOL just kidding.... It is going to be a good game.

When my Raiders got killed by Tampa I was was watching a college basketball game by the third quarter.

R.P

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers wanted to do the same thing at Heinz field last year (man, was it a year ago already??) and the NFL put the same kibosh on it...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And I was cursed when I was *****ing about the NFL Network. Maybe a few more will see the light.

William

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In a memo, the NFL said policy prohibits "mass out-of-home viewing broadcasts" -- because they could water down television ratings. .

So what's next, outlawing bars from showing the games? How about Super Bowl parties?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It truly is turning into the No Fun League. The same amount of people are going to see the Super Bowl no matter what. It shouldn't matter where they see it. Like the person above said, next they'll outlaw SB parties. Then they'll make everyone buy separate TV with Nielsen boxes.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is about making money off a product they do not own. Even though it is a good cause.

Watching the games IS the NFL's product.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, that's rediculous. Not allowing that group Bearhug is a big miss by the NFL. Doing it would grow the fan base in Chicago, it would be another great story for some 60,000+ fans.

Good post Phil.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Tells Church To Cancel SuperBowl Party

A church in Indianapolis received a letter from the NFL demanding that they cancel their SuperBowl party because 1) they used the NFL logo in their advertisement, 2) they had a small admission charge at the door to cover the snacks, and 3) they were going to show the game on their 12 foot screen. The NFL said that they could only show the game on screens no larger than 55 inches. Maybe they have a deal with the local Best Buy or Circuit City? They did mention that it would affect the Neilson ratings but I do think that they need to lighten up a little. I guess that is what happens when you have a virtual monopoly.

They also did not want them to mail a video to their visitors that contained Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith giving their personal testimonies. I am not sure how they have any say in that at all but they seem to think that they do.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Tells Church To Cancel SuperBowl Party

A church in Indianapolis received a letter from the NFL demanding that they cancel their SuperBowl party because 1) they used the NFL logo in their advertisement, 2) they had a small admission charge at the door to cover the snacks, and 3) they were going to show the game on their 12 foot screen. The NFL said that they could only show the game on screens no larger than 55 inches. Maybe they have a deal with the local Best Buy or Circuit City? They did mention that it would affect the Neilson ratings but I do think that they need to lighten up a little. I guess that is what happens when you have a virtual monopoly.

They also did not want them to mail a video to their visitors that contained Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith giving their personal testimonies. I am not sure how they have any say in that at all but they seem to think that they do.
Didn't you ever read in the Constitution...........the seperation of "Church and the NFL???"
LOLOL!!! :rotflmao: :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts