1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Gamepass Eliminates Options For Cheaper Viewing

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by PackerfaninCarolina, Aug 8, 2016.

1. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +262
    For those who don't know, NFL Gamepass is basically the overseas version of Sunday Ticket. But you can get it just going through NFL.com and you don't need a cable provider to do it. Looks like this year though, Gamepass users are going to get hit with the higher cost because unlike in the past where you used to be able to just subscribe to your favorite team's games for only $100 on the whole season (depending on what region you're in), looks like this year you won't be able to do that, now you only got one option to sign up for the package to watch every game at $200 for the whole year, or you can do monthly payments for that but end up paying about $60 a month for that. Also looks like the short-term 2-week subscriptions for $14 are also off the table this year.

I'm wondering if this is an action by taken by the NFL just because they just couldn't stand the thought of people from the states getting around the Gamepass regional restrictions to get it. I know people do do that because it's been cheaper and less hassle than going through DirecTV, and still is really if you think about it, but this is really a bummer for everyone now that you can't just sign up for your own favorite team's games instead of having to purchase the whole wad of games.

It's crazy, those fans over there, many of them have been helping line the NFL's coffers, not only through purchasing Gamepass, but through being willing to wait years on waiting lists just to get tickets for games at Wembly, and now the NFL is stabbing them in the back by making them pay more heftier options to watch their favorite teams. It's just amazing the greed that just won't die in the league's executive offices.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +950
    They have to pay for the new turf at Canton.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,068
    They have indeed changed the subscription plans.
    Until last season you could choose between
    a) "Follow your team"
    b) Regular Season and
    c) Season Plus (Playoffs included)

Now only Season Plus is left, the most expensive version. It's 200 Euros here in this part of Europe (about 220 USD) and 200 USD if I would book through the Russian NFL Website for example.
    Not sure if I'm going to sign again this year because I don't like to be forced to take the most expensive plan if I'd like to watch some Packers football. :cautious:

4. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +262
    Yeah 200 USD is the cheapest you can go now, and yeah it's amazing to me that the NFL feels the need to rip off their fans. I mean, maybe the one area of progress they made for us here at home is that they have a Sunday Ticket package now that college students can subscribe to for like $25 a month, though I think their university has to be enrolled in it or something, I don't know.

But yeah, this right here that mhnessie has just said is just one thing that has me scratching my head about this league. If you're looking to expand the game of American football into the global markets, why the hell would you jack up the price like that? All you're doing is just alienating a lot more potential viewers, and pretty likely you're still not going to discourage American cord cutters from getting an overseas IP address, because if they don't have to have jump through all the silly hoops just to get some wacky DirecTV satellite dish installed on their rooftop, you better believe they won't. All I can do is just shake my head at Goodell and his little minions over their stupidity.

5. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,068
    Perhaps they're quite confident that their product NFL football is already that popular over here that fans will sign subscriptions anyway. And I assume that the Season Plus plan was the most sold version in the past and therefore not a big risk for the NFL to give up other subscription plans.
    How much is Direct TV ?

6. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    It probably had a lot to do with their current tv contracts and dish and cable providers in the USA. They probably wanted cheaper overseas streaming options raised because it was affecting their subscriptions

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +262
    Ummm depends on which TV package you buy from there, I don't got an exact figure on what the total cost would be, but I have to think even if you're only subscribed to basic cable channels through them, it would still be upwards of $350 to add in the Sunday Ticket package. Hence why I said I'd still take Gamepass over that. But still, I doubt those cheaper Gamepass options put a killer on regular cable companies over here, considering there's only one that you can get the Sunday Ticket package through.