NFL Europa folds

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Link nfl.com
:kickcan:
Link PackersNews

This is a sad day for many footballfans in Europe.
I know, for someone in the US, who get's constant TV coverage of everything around the NFL and who easily gets to see top-quality football,
this might be the "Rice-bag falling over in China"-News.

But for me it's the prospect of loosing a lot of good friends and fun. No
more gamedays, tailgaiting, etc. Over and out! :cry:
My passion for the game grew more and more over the years and now I'm,
like everyone else over here, ripped off my team. The possibility of regular-season-games coming to Europe (sometimes....) is really no cure at all.

Sure, nothing happened to the Packers, but Rhein Fire of the NFLE was
my "first love". It's dead!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't hear about this. When did it happen? Were crowds too small, or what?
What caused it to fold?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read they were losing about $30 mil a year, and are instead going to focus on more regular season games outside of the U.S.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.....30 mill. I would have thought it would have MADE money. Guess there isn't much desire for American football in Europe.

OP
OP
TheStone

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was in fact a pretty good interest especially in Germany,
but the main problem was, that there was almost no TV-coverage.

The media didn't recognize or didn't want to recognize that there were
crowds of 30.000 people watching football games in stadiums. That is a
bigger crowd as some soccer-clubs have for their home games.

That leads us to the financial problems: No tv-revenues, no commercials.
I think that's where the NFL gets its money from. Small soccer-clubs have
smaller crowds coming to their home-games, but get a lot of money, because there is a revenue-share in the Bundesliga (Top soccer-league in Germany) too.

Therefore NFLE just spent money and never earned money.
Maybe we should have sold stocks like some well-known football-team did, back in the early days..........

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There must be some kind of interest, otherwise the NFL wouldn't be looking into playing more games overseas. Of course, not having TV income is going to hurt. I thought the NFL Network showed NFLE games, but I don't have that channel, so I could never watch it.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it sucked. The only plus in my mind about it was that the younger more inexperienced guys in the american NFL got some practice in a real game setting. Otherwise it sucked in my book.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it sucked. The only plus in my mind about it was that the younger more inexperienced guys in the american NFL got some practice in a real game setting. Otherwise it sucked in my book.

Well, it was a developmental league. It's not really for entertainment value. That's why they put it in Europe. They thought the could market it as a new NFL and make some money over there, but obviously they were wrong. It's nowhere near as exciting as the NFL. They'll make more money playing a couple NFL games over there than they did with NFLE.

Lynch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=left]It´s sad tha it´s gone. But wasn´t it folded because NFL thought that tehy have now showed football to Europe and want to spread the sport to China instead. THe german league will still continue, the team will still exist but without NFL.[/align]

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smells like short term greed to me. I bet this league would have worked if the NFL spent more time with it.

You don't just take a business and abandon it if it doesn't give you immediate profits. This is a sad day for the NFL. I'd love to see American football a more global thing like baseball and basketball have become. Look at baseball for instance. Lots of good talent from Latin America. Or basketball has good talent from Eastern Europe and Africa.

When I've gone overseas, I got stuck watching soccer and golf. Sorry fans of either, but those sports bore me to death. Soccer has too little scoring to be exciting for me. That's just my opinion though, so please don't get offended by it if you're a hard-core soccer fan. Golf - I'd rather watch a toddler bounce one of those big red balls up and down than watch golf.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smells like short term greed to me. I bet this league would have worked if the NFL spent more time with it.

You don't just take a business and abandon it if it doesn't give you immediate profits. This is a sad day for the NFL. I'd love to see American football a more global thing like baseball and basketball have become. Look at baseball for instance. Lots of good talent from Latin America. Or basketball has good talent from Eastern Europe and Africa.

When I've gone overseas, I got stuck watching soccer and golf. Sorry fans of either, but those sports bore me to death. Soccer has too little scoring to be exciting for me. That's just my opinion though, so please don't get offended by it if you're a hard-core soccer fan. Golf - I'd rather watch a toddler bounce one of those big red balls up and down than watch golf.
To me watching golf is like watching paint dry.
Now.....last year i started TRYING to play. Theres a 3 hole free course a mile from where i live. I go there and mess around. I haven't got up the nerve to try a REAL course yet. Although one of these days I'm gonna try Missing Links. Its a par 3 course about 5 miles from here. It only is like $7 for 9 holes, so it's not too expensive. I can't afford these $50 or more a round places. I just have to get up the nerve to try!

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

To me watching golf is like watching paint dry.
Now.....last year i started TRYING to play. Theres a 3 hole free course a mile from where i live. I go there and mess around. I haven't got up the nerve to try a REAL course yet. Although one of these days I'm gonna try Missing Links. Its a par 3 course about 5 miles from here. It only is like $7 for 9 holes, so it's not too expensive. I can't afford these $50 or more a round places. I just have to get up the nerve to try!

The closest I ever get to playing golf is going to a driving range, and that's mainly to try to hit the ball boy in the cart. Golf and soccer do nothing for me either. I really do try to watch soccer sometimes. When nothing else is on, I'll give it a shot, but I always get bored and turn the channel after a few minutes. I'm sure if I knew a little more about the rules and such, it'd be a bit easier to watch, but I really don't care for it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The driving range can be fun! When i started last year, i was lucky if i could hit a ball 100 yards. Now i can get one to about 150. Not consistantly though! LOL! :rotflmao:

Lynch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=left]I work at golf club, the job is great good hours and oyubhave the whole afternoon free. But the game is boring it´s more exciting to watch the nature around then those who hit that little ball into a tiny hole which is nearly as big as the ball itself. For those who aren´t proffesional is it just pure luck if they hit the green which have the same size as a garden( at least mine).

Anyway soccer is fun, but understand that it can be boring if you watch you would watch the american league(hehe). But a real good game is excitng, like when Brazil played against Japan in the latest World Cup, japan are not one of the best but they tried to attack which opened up for Brazil to who could attack and show of their moves. When both team attack then soccer is really fun[/align]

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You don't just take a business and abandon it if it doesn't give you immediate profits. This is a sad day for the NFL.

I think 15 years is a pretty good amount of time to discover if a sports league is going to work or not.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=left]I work at golf club, the job is great good hours and oyubhave the whole afternoon free. But the game is boring it´s more exciting to watch the nature around then those who hit that little ball into a tiny hole which is nearly as big as the ball itself. For those who aren´t proffesional is it just pure luck if they hit the green which have the same size as a garden( at least mine).

Anyway soccer is fun, but understand that it can be boring if you watch you would watch the american league(hehe). But a real good game is excitng, like when Brazil played against Japan in the latest World Cup, japan are not one of the best but they tried to attack which opened up for Brazil to who could attack and show of their moves. When both team attack then soccer is really fun[/align]
The thing that scares me about soccer is all the MAJOR riots i have seen that can break out at those games. I just don't understand how so called "fans" can get to the point where they want to really hurt other people because they are fans of a different team. It just doesn't make sense to me. I can see a fun rivalry, but to want to litterally KILL someone over a freakin' game!?!? That just makes NO sense to me. It takes ALL the fun out of it.

Lynch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynch said:

The thing that scares me about soccer is all the MAJOR riots i have seen that can break out at those games. I just don't understand how so called "fans" can get to the point where they want to really hurt other people because they are fans of a different team. It just doesn't make sense to me. I can see a fun rivalry, but to want to litterally KILL someone over a freakin' game!?!? That just makes NO sense to me. It takes ALL the fun out of it.

[align=left]Soccer is sometimes more then a game, for some is it a war. A soccer team represent to much and a big city often have many clubs some even have two or three in the highest divison and they all have their on type of fans. A good example is Manchester who have Manchester City and of course United, City represent the city people the more wealthier ones and untied represent the working class who live in the poorer part of town and does who live in the working class surburbians. To them a game is not always about soccer it´s about pride and honor of your own group, in Manchester is it a bit diffrent today but some times ago were there much trouble when United and City headed up against eachother.

In my town do we often fight against the fans from the Stockholms club, and that´s because they are they are from the capital and we from scania want to beat them very much when we meet them in soccer, because of the tradition not to like people from Stockholm and specially not their teams.

But I can´t understand why people fight against eachother during and after a soccer game, they have no real reason, some just go there to fight. It is a problem which FIFA and UEFA have to solve(they are the two biggest soccer organizations in Europe).[/align]

Members online

Latest posts