NFL Draft & The value of Hindsight

nathanielgreenwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now the pre-season is over and we have seen which un-drafted rookies and free-agents have made the roster. If you could go back in time and tell TT to draft other players, whould you change anything, what players would you reccomend ?

I would:-
AJ Hawk --- Instead of draftng AJ i would seriously consider Vernon Davis, given the way the run game has struggled, and the emergance of Abdul Hodge and Brady poppinga.

Rodgers --- Well, need i say anything.

Dave Toffelson -- a draft pick on a practise squad player when some players taken after him have made active rosters elsewhere. Perhaps a WR to take Boe's place, an invesment in the future is better than what we have now, 2 Backup WRs who arent going to get any better.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernon Davis hasn't looked all to great so far either.. I'm happy with AJ.

I only wish we'd have taken Mark Setterstrom.. that one guard from Minnesota.

Ah well.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The value of hindsight is small.

Tollefson was the 3rd to the last draft pick and is still playing football when others selected dozens of spots ahead of him are not.

Vernon Davis is the highest paid TE is football and we already have 4 on the roster. What value is added with a guy who can't catch the ball?
Martin can drop it for a lot less.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a solid preseason and camp so I wouldn't go as far to bash him yet. Last year he was awful but this year he looked ok considering he was playing with mostly rookies on the 2nd team unit.

I'm not an Aaron Rodgers fan but I liked how he progressed from year 1 to year 2.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Rodgers had a solid preseason and camp so I wouldn't go as far to bash him yet. Last year he was awful but this year he looked ok considering he was playing with mostly rookies on the 2nd team unit.

I'm not an Aaron Rodgers fan but I liked how he progressed from year 1 to year 2.

I think he was talking about Cory Rodgers, not Aaron Rodgers.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There very well could be a time where Hawk, Hodge, Jennings, Moll, Spitz, Colledge(at tackle), Culver, and, Blackmon will be quality starters on this team, or, at least valuable players.

That would be phenomenal by anybody's standards for one draft class. This, of course, is conjecture at this point but certainly not beyond reason.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah im curious to see blackmon, since we havent seen anything cuz of his injury. I think he could make a lot of noise when he returns. I hope so, if not..next year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even in hindsight, this was a very good draft. I've always said that.

Now complete the same excercise on last season's draft. Ugly!!!!!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meh, I like A-Rod. I hated him but this year hes progressed a lot(compared to last year, not saying all that much) and thats all you can ask from a young man not asked to be a starter yet

Nick Collins is cool, and I dont think anybody believes he will be a bust. Everyone is high on him. He is coooool.

Murphy got hurt, when it looked like he mighta been able to do some good things throughout the year. Shame. Nobodys fault. Not sherms\tts\scouts\etc. damn shame though.

Underwood was having a great camp and mighta been our starter SS this year if he didnt get hurt. People get hurt, but he will be back(not career ending) and should be a serviceable backup or maybe even starter with the way he was playing.

Poppinga....is starting sunday.

Coston is a backup at like...every o-line position. lol. poor guy wont be a starter, but its good to have backups. depth is important. hes hurt right now. nobodys fault, but people can still place blame, its not new.

Hawkins was a bustaroo, no doubt. I thought he was doing ...OK, but apparently he wasn't. Another case of me being here, and coaches and paid professionals being over there. I wish others would notice that they are also not there.

Montgomery is playing very well, and is on that deep talented d-line, which mccarthy says is the deepest position of talent. I dont think anyone dislikes montgomery. he gives it his all, and does some good things when hes in there.

craig bragg....who? bust.

kurt campbell....isnt that the guy who is always hurt? not anyones fault i guess...but...damn....its the NFL.

Will Whitticker was thrown in last year and did better than Klemm(not saying much), but when a 7th rounder is on the line and isnt your worst player, thats good for him. When the new coaches were brought in with their zone scheme, he was assed out. Sorry, will. I wouldnt say 'bust' ...but....ok, he was a bust.

the 2006 draft looks better than the 2005 draft, but the 2005 wasnt that bad. We might have our future QB when favre retires in 3 years, collins at safety for YEARS, maybe underwood too for years! Poppinga wont stay down and is an example of a hurt guy(a lot of em we have\had) coming back and competing. A year ago people would say Poppinga is a bust, a year later after recovering, hes a starter. Who is to say some of our other hurt guys(Underwood) wont do the same? But ill agree with you, depack, 2006 draft was better.

im tired after typing this...

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Even in hindsight, this was a very good draft. I've always said that.

Now complete the same excercise on last season's draft. Ugly!!!!!!!

At least by your standards, he's 50/50. We don't want to go back any farther than last year do we De? I'll leave that choice up to you!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always said he was 50- 50 in the draft so far. It's the guys that want to claim that signing Adrian Klemm was a stroke of genius, that I've had a problem with.

And no I won't take the BAIT on the Sherman thing other than to say that, yea....I'd hate to go back beyond last season....thinking about all those NFC North championships give me a damn headache. I'd much rather be 4-12!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I've always said he was 50- 50 in the draft so far. It's the guys that want to claim that signing Adrian Klemm was a stroke of genius, that I've had a problem with.

And no I won't take the BAIT on the Sherman thing other than to say that, yea....I'd hate to go back beyond last season....thinking about all those NFC North championships give me a damn headache. I'd much rather be 4-12!

Define bait, buddy!

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one of the guys that was high on Vernon Davis in the days leading up to the draft, but I must say that I'm glad that TT took A.J. Hawk. That was a great pick.

I think the only pick I would change is the Cory Rodgers pick. Even when it happened I said that TT should have taken Darnell Bing instead. I don't know how well Bing is doing now, but anything is better than Cory Rodgers at this point.

Members online

Latest posts