NFL Draft: Edge Rusher Discussion

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's obvious that we need edge rushing talent and it's widely speculated that we will use one of our first three picks on an edge rusher. So I wanted to make a thread devoted to comparing the talent in the upcoming draft. I am not nearly as knowledgeable as I am sure many of you are, so I would love to hear some opinions.

Early on, my impressions are as follows, with rankings:

1. Nick Bosa - blue chip pure rusher who would probably most thrive as a 43DE; will be gone by our first pick
2. Josh Allen - explosive, versatile juggernaut; will almost certainly be gone by our first pick
3. Jachai Polite - blazing first step and decent hand usage; underwhelming production and playing time; stocky
4. Clelin Ferrell - productive power rusher, but benefited from a less attention by offenses
5. Brian Burns - fluid, bendy rusher in the make of Arden Key, but lacks desired bulk and hand usage
6. Montez Sweat - great size and speed, but seriously lack bend around the edge
7. Jaylon Ferguson - elite production and great leadership, but average speed and explosiveness
8. Oshane Ximines - plus instincts and production, but average bend and speed
9. D'Andre Walker - good versatility and burst; very rudimentary pass rush moves
10. Jalen Jelks - long-armed and agile, but seems stiff-hipped
11. Joe Jackson - great size and good speed; lacks pass rushing moves

Other names to consider: Chase Winovich, Carl Granderson, Shareef Miller, Anthony Nelson

What are everyone's thoughts?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some good information. Other than Bosa it seems to be a crap shoot with deep potential . I would trade both #1's and a 3 to move up for Bosa. The Packers so badly need an absolute stud, perennial pro bowler on their defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Some good information. Other than Bosa it seems to be a crap shoot with deep potential . I would trade both #1's and a 3 to move up for Bosa. The Packers so badly need an absolute stud, perennial pro bowler on their defense.

With Bosa possibly going #1 that won't be enough to move up for him. There's a small chance the Packers could make a move for Allen though.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'd have to give up the majority of our draft and likely picks from next year to get the top pick. Not likely obviously.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I disagree. With the #12, #30, #44 and #76 picks I think the Packers are sitting very well with a chance to add several stars to their roster in a variety of positions of need. I'd rather stay put and get these 4 players than trade most of them away for 1 player even if that 1 player is a stud. I wouldn't be opposed to moving say #76 if moving up from 30 or 44 would net a better player but I'd still like to see at least 3 players out of these 4 picks and I think all 3 (maybe 4) could be day one starters.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the best edge rusher in the league play Sunday? No. I agree we need an edge rusher, but the SB was won by a scheme not a player. If the stud player is hurt you still have a chance. Edge with 12, TE at 30, OLine the next couple picks, FA for D. And my pet peeve, get a FB! Need Arod to understand that first downs are sometimes more important than the bomb for a TD. The weakness in our QB is he is very aware of his stats, Brady only cares about one stat, winning.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade up for Josh Allen. I'm telling you, that man is going to transform a defense.

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Winovitch and he can be gotten on day 2. That kid just makes plays. He would be a great part of the defense...not neccesarily a focal point. His motor is off the charts. The tape on him is very impressive.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers’ cupboard is pretty bare at edge rusher. There’s a decent can of chunky soup in there called Kyler Fackrell, some stale old crackers called Perry and Matthews, and a package of unlabelled mystery meat called Reggie Gilbert. The packers need to get to the corner grocery and do some shopping.

I am actually in favor of beefing up the pass rush from the inside out, and selecting a DT/DE with power, burst and energy to collapse the pocket next to Kenny Clark AND getting an edge guy as well.

I am not in favor of trading up unless someone falls unexpectedly into the 5 to 8 range (like Bosa or Allen). Packers have too many needs otherwise.

I like Winovich but he is climbing up some boards lately and may go at the tail end of the first.

Doesn’t this thread belong in the draft forum?

H

HardRightEdge

Here's another to add to the list, just not at #12:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Here's another to add to the list, just not at #12:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ah yes, Mr. Ferguson. I've been on him for a bit. I think he is exactly what the Packers need and a decent chance we can get him at 30 if the Packer choose to do so. I wouldn't mind at all if they traded back from 12 a couple times and and snatched him up either.

D

Deleted member 6794

And my pet peeve, get a FB! Need Arod to understand that first downs are sometimes more important than the bomb for a TD.

The Packers have a lot of needs this offseason but adding a fullback won't solve any of them.

Trade up for Josh Allen. I'm telling you, that man is going to transform a defense.

Unfortunately I think it would be way too expensive to move up for Allen.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I agree with Captain, the Packers might have to get up to #2 or #3 pick to assure themselves of getting Allen. Now if he doesn't have a great combine and he is still sitting on the board at #6 or so, might only cost the Packers their #12 and #44 picks to move up and grab him.

H

HardRightEdge

Ah yes, Mr. Ferguson. I've been on him for a bit. I think he is exactly what the Packers need and a decent chance we can get him at 30 if the Packer choose to do so. I wouldn't mind at all if they traded back from 12 a couple times and and snatched him up either.
From what I've seen, I don't think any of these guys past the top 2 are worth a #12 pick. Ferrell, maybe, but his best fit looks to be 4-3 DE. With the standard formula being best player at a position of need, with needs being several, suggests to me that #12 will not be an edge rusher.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
From what I've seen, I don't think any of these guys past the top 2 are worth a #12 pick. Ferrell, maybe, but his best fit looks to be 4-3 DE. With the standard forumula being best player at a position of need, with needs being several, suggests to me that #12 will not be an edge rusher.

Unless they reach it absolutely wont.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, Ripkowski signed last week with the Chiefs. Still have super-back Danny Vitale on the roster, maybe he'll be our next Kuhn?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen, I don't think any of these guys past the top 2 are worth a #12 pick. Ferrell, maybe, but his best fit looks to be 4-3 DE. With the standard formula being best player at a position of need, with needs being several, suggests to me that #12 will not be an edge rusher.
I agree. A guy who I'm looking at for #12 if he's still around is the LB from LSU (don't have his name in front of me )

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. A guy who I'm looking at for #12 if he's still around is the LB from LSU (don't have his name in front of me )

Devin White?

More of an inside guy, but yes, an intriguing prospect that would bring something to the table.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep that's him. Thanks Curly. All reports I see on him are 3 down, impact player. I think he's a monster under Pettine.

Members online

Latest posts