NFL Contracts revised

Reaction score
Will NFL contracts have revisions in the future after what's going on in the league will Rodgers, Watson, or Wilson?

This I'm sure will make signing any contract much longer and integrate processes.
Where the hell did this "up-front" money come from anyway?

Where I come from, a contract is a commitment to a team that pays your salary.

Or here's one, Johnny and Jean get government loans, then decide to renege to pay them back.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams already have pretty much complete freedom to draft contracts however they see fit, so it is their own fault if they didn't plan for a worst case scenario when offering a contract to someone.

Personally, I would guarantee everyone the league minimum and offer players up to $30 million per year in incentives without a signing bonus. I guarantee players will put in A LOT more effort if they have a chance to 25× their salary.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where I come from, a contract is a commitment to a team that pays your salary.

Or here's one, Johnny and Jean get government loans, then decide to renege to pay them back.

Or here's one, your Green Bay Packers choose not to honor the contract they signed and release...insert player

Why is it the team is not held to this honor the contract standard. When the Packers release Aaron Jones after 2 or 3 years of the contract he just signed, will you say the same thing?

This is the biggest joke of an argument and I really don't get the double standard that some fans of professional sports seem to hold onto so staunchly...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or here's one, your Green Bay Packers choose not to honor the contract they signed and release...insert player
Pretty sure that is part of the contract. And actually, it should be. That is why upfront money is such a big deal.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why is it the team is not held to this honor the contract standard. When the Packers release Aaron Jones after 2 or 3 years of the contract he just signed, will you say the same thing?

This is the biggest joke of an argument and I really don't get the double standard that some fans of professional sports seem to hold onto so staunchly...
I’m always amused by this attitude because it is simply wrong. The contract that both sides sign specifically allows this. The team is not reneging on anything... they are simply exercising one of the rights they have under the contract. The players protect themselves by getting up front money in the form of signing bonuses. The better the player, the better contract they typically get. Now... when a player chooses not to play .... they are in fact breaching that contract ... especially when they are still within the years that the signing bonus has been amortized through.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m always amused by this attitude because it is simply wrong. The contract that both sides sign specifically allows this. The team is not reneging on anything... they are simply exercising one of the rights they have under the contract. The players protect themselves by getting up front money in the form of signing bonuses. The better the player, the better contract they typically get. Now... when a player chooses not to play .... they are in fact breaching that contract ... especially when they are still within the years that the signing bonus has been amortized through.
Because after getting a bunch of dough; some players just don't play hungry anymore. Or like Eddie Lacy, get too hungry.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Because the players union allows it?

Because the player signs the contract stating this.

Your issue is geared to wrong place

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Or here's one, your Green Bay Packers choose not to honor the contract they signed and release...insert player...This is the biggest joke of an argument and I really don't get the double standard that some fans of professional sports seem to hold onto so staunchly...

Hey here is one for you...

The other day I posted that Milwaukee Bucks coach Michael Vincent "Bud" Budenholzer is possibly on the hot seat and if they don't make it to the Eastern Finals, he could be fired. Look what this guy posted in response. ;)

I hope so because not many are bud fans...his refusal so far to play his stars more than 30 min a game in the playoffs is a determent to the team. Hopefully he's ammended or abandoned that if we can't win with 34 playing 30 min we don't deserve to win attitude.

So I have to ask, why would you support the Bucks organization not honoring Bud's contract? Isn't that a double standard on your part?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The other day I posted that Milwaukee Bucks coach Michael Vincent "Bud" Budenholzer is possibly on the hot seat and if they don't make it to the Eastern Finals, he could be fired. Look what this guy posted in response. ;)

So I have to ask, why would you support the Bucks organization not honoring Bud's contract? Isn't that a double standard on your part?
That’s a pretty common problem when people react based on emotion rather than logic. I suppose we are all guilty of it at times lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just for the record, Rodgers will get fined for each day of mandatory workouts, practice etc. he doesn't show up. If he decides to retire he will have to pay back a portion of the signing bonus to the team as well.

With that being said I'm getting tired of players not honoring the contract they agreed to in the first place as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, Rodgers will get fined for each day of mandatory workouts, practice etc. he doesn't show up. If he decides to retire he will have to pay back a portion of the signing bonus to the team as well.

With that being said I'm getting tired of players not honoring the contract they agreed to in the first place as well.
Although if/when ARod starts playing for The Pack; I think those "fines" suddenly disappear. In fact, those may put us in a better bargaining position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Although if/when ARod starts playing for The Pack; I think those "fines" suddenly disappear. In fact, those may put us in a better bargaining position.

Rodgers would have to pay those fines up until he reports to the team. I don't think it would make any difference regarding the bargaining position with him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers would have to pay those fines up until he reports to the team. I don't think it would make any difference regarding the bargaining position with him.
I'm talking about not making him pay for the time he did not practice.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I'm talking about not making him pay for the time he did not practice.

I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to say. The only fines Rodgers can incur as part of missing mandatory training camps are in the CBA @ $50K a day. These fines cannot be waived by an NFL team and would in fact be a breach of the CBA. The mandatory camps this year subject to these fines are June 15-17 and the preseason camp beginning late July/early August. I don't believe theses fines would be a deterrent as he could skip all camps, pay the fines somewhere between $1.5 & $2M, show up the week before of the first game and still make $35M for the year.

From the CBA:

Unexcused late reporting for or absence from preseason training camp by a player under contract except those signed as (1) an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 9; or (2) a Drafted or Undrafted Rookie pursuant to Article 7—mandatory fine of $50,000 per day. For the avoidance of doubt, any such fines shall be mandatory, and shall not be reduced in amount or waived by the Club, in whole or in part, but must be paid by the player or deducted by the Club as provided in Section 5(b) of this Article. For purposes of this Subsection (vi) and Subsections (vii)-(ix) below, preseason training camp shall be defined as the period beginning with the mandatory reporting date for any player through the Sunday immediately preceding the first game of the NFL regular season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Haha clever I like what you did there...

No not at all...I understand how the business of sports as entertainment works. Contracts are not honored by anyone involved, organization, FO exec, player, coach etc.

My only issue is when fans are cool with the team not honoring contracts but then turn around and say stuff like...I don't get why Rodgers doesn't just honor the contract he signed?!

I'm not arguing that anyone should start honoring the contracts...that's just not how it works obviously unless the contract is fully guranteed ala Kirk Cousins. Something that is very rare in the NFL but was the absolute rule in the NBA until fairly recently

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the players union allows it?

Because the player signs the contract stating this.

Your issue is geared to wrong place

And the contract likewise allows the players the same luxury as the team to not honor the deal

I'm just saying contracts are not honored by anyone involved in sports as entertainment unless they are fully guranteed. Can't get mad at insert player, for doing the same thing the team does...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And obviously the players are allowed to not honor the contract as well or we wouldn't be having this conversation...

where have you been? the prescedence that has been set on this stuff is clearly neither side honors anything but the fully guranteed portion...I've never known anything different in sports as entertainment but I suppose I've only really been paying attention the last 30 years

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No not at all...I understand how the business of sports as entertainment works. Contracts are not honored by anyone involved, organization, FO exec, player, coach etc.

My only issue is when fans are cool with the team not honoring contracts but then turn around and say stuff like...I don't get why Rodgers doesn't just honor the contract he signed?!

So, you view it sort of on a case by case situation and not as black and white as "honor or don't honor" a contract?

Can't get mad at insert player, for doing the same thing the team does...

I get people defending Rodgers side in this and saying "I think he deserves more and maybe the team should make him happy and do XYZ". However, I don't agree with the notion that "Rodgers is doing the same thing that the team is doing" or "Teams don't honor contracts if they cut a player before the contract is up." Both of those are false statements, since most NFL contracts allow for either party to walk away from the contract at any point in time.

Now you might not like the fact that if a player walks away, his rights are still owned by the team he signed a contract with for the remaining length of that contract. That has been and I hope continues to be a successful policy in the NFL. On the flipside, if Rodgers walks away/refuses to play, the Packers lose some of what they invested in him, as well as his services.

Again, I understand those people thinking that the Packers might be better off trying to keep Rodgers happy and renegotiate his contract to do so, but people need to stop trying to say the Packers aren't honoring his contract or any contract when they are actually abiding by the set terms of it.

If Aaron Jones or Bahk decide they love to drink, smoke, eat junk food, gamble and their games drop off, should the Packers be able to cut them or is that dishonoring their contract?

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And obviously the players are allowed to not honor the contract as well or we wouldn't be having this conversation...

where have you been? the prescedence that has been set on this stuff is clearly neither side honors anything but the fully guranteed portion...I've never known anything different in sports as entertainment but I suppose I've only really been paying attention the last 30 years
Wow! Cannot believe you can't get it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to say. The only fines Rodgers can incur as part of missing mandatory training camps are in the CBA @ $50K a day. These fines cannot be waived by an NFL team and would in fact be a breach of the CBA. The mandatory camps this year subject to these fines are June 15-17 and the preseason camp beginning late July/early August. I don't believe theses fines would be a deterrent as he could skip all camps, pay the fines somewhere between $1.5 & $2M, show up the week before of the first game and still make $35M for the year.

From the CBA:

Unexcused late reporting for or absence from preseason training camp by a player under contract except those signed as (1) an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 9; or (2) a Drafted or Undrafted Rookie pursuant to Article 7—mandatory fine of $50,000 per day. For the avoidance of doubt, any such fines shall be mandatory, and shall not be reduced in amount or waived by the Club, in whole or in part, but must be paid by the player or deducted by the Club as provided in Section 5(b) of this Article. For purposes of this Subsection (vi) and Subsections (vii)-(ix) below, preseason training camp shall be defined as the period beginning with the mandatory reporting date for any player through the Sunday immediately preceding the first game of the NFL regular season.
I just think that it would be taken into consideration w/o actually saying anything about it. Assuming ARod gets something new. imo But you are correct in that Rodgers would not miss the money. Still, it is money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't believe theses fines would be a deterrent as he could skip all camps, pay the fines somewhere between $1.5 & $2M, show up the week before of the first game and still make $35M for the year.

I definitely think there is some basic confusion about contracts and I am not professing to know everything about them, especially when there are hidden incentive, escalators, etc.

However I think the semantics are important and often confused. There is a difference between "making", "being paid", "already paid", "earned", etc. So when people say "AR will "make" $35M this season, it really isn't being factual or totally accurate. First, he was given a ton of upfront money, in signing bonuses and guarantees. This was right around $100 M and since much of it has already been paid to him, he has already "made it". He is not being paid/making that this season.

Maybe best to look at what the current year of his contract looks like and let that explain it

Base Salary: $14,700,000
Signing Bonus: $11,500,000 (already paid, this is just cap accounting)
Roster Bonus:$6,800,000 (paid out on 3/19/21)
Workout Bonus: $500,000
Restructure: $2,852,000 (again, cap accounting)
Misc: $850,000 (paid incentives this year, but earned last season)
Cap hit: $37,202,000 (for 2021)
Dead Cap hit: $38,356,000 (if he was cut, this would be the cap hit)
Yearly Cash: $22,850,000 (Total "cash" paid to AR this season)

• 2020-2023 Escalators ($1M Max)
    72.5 offensive snaps: $100,000 (earned in 2020, 2021)
    + divisional playoff game: $120,000 more (earned in 2020, 2021)
    + NFC Championship: $130,000 more (earned in 2020, 2021)
    + Super Bowl: $150,000 more
    $100,000 each for Top 3 in Passer Rating, Comp. %, INT %, Yards per Att., TD Passes ($100,000 earned in 2020, $500,000 in 2021)
So lots of ways to look at above numbers and if AR doesn't go to camps, sits the season out, retires, maybe some of the stuff paid in advance can be recovered by the Packers. While I haven't compared his contract escalators with other players of his Caliber, his ability to earn an additional $1M seems pretty generous. Which he earned all but the SB incentive last year.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I’m sorry you don’t seem to understand contracts. I’m not the one missing key points. If the team chooses to release a player... that is not defaulting on the contract.... it is quite simply exercising one of their options in the contract. The players are not “allowed” to do this.... if they choose to they are in fact in breach of contract. the penalties area fines imposed. That doesn’t mean that the players have no leverage because they obviously do. A player like Rodgers has tons of leverage .... he has enough money to afford the fines... and his value to the team is high enough that it will be very difficult to simply let him retire. None of this is really the point of your original gripe though. The fact remains that the team may cut a player if they wish and not be in breach of contract.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure that is part of the contract. And actually, it should be. That is why upfront money is such a big deal.

And players are allowed to not honor the contract except for the fully guranteed portion as well...just the way it works in
I’m sorry you don’t seem to understand contracts. I’m not the one missing key points. If the team chooses to release a player... that is not defaulting on the contract.... it is quite simply exercising one of their options in the contract. The players are not “allowed” to do this.... if they choose to they are in fact in breach of contract. the penalties area fines imposed. That doesn’t mean that the players have no leverage because they obviously do. A player like Rodgers has tons of leverage .... he has enough money to afford the fines... and his value to the team is high enough that it will be very difficult to simply let him retire. None of this is really the point of your original gripe though. The fact remains that the team may cut a player if they wish and not be in breach of contract.

I do already get everything you're saying man...I'm saying the way it's actually worked out in real life is the second part of your comment. The players are in fact "allowed". Because here's the thing the Packers aren't going to fine Rodgers because like you said they want him on their team which means he has all the leverage. I don't care what the piece of paper says... leverage wins in sports as entertainment. That's why NBA players can get traded wherever they want etc while being under contract

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And players are allowed to not honor the contract except for the fully guranteed portion as well...just the way it works in

I do already get everything you're saying man...I'm saying the way it's actually worked out in real life is the second part of your comment. The players are in fact "allowed". Because here's the thing the Packers aren't going to fine Rodgers because like you said they want him on their team which means he has all the leverage. I don't care what the piece of paper says... leverage wins in sports as entertainment. That's why NBA players can get traded wherever they want etc while being under contract
Except that’s not always true... Ask Leveon Bell how holding out worked out for him. Sure after sitting out for a year he got a bunch of money and signed with a team.... and his career pretty much died.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts