NFL & Amazon Prime

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Al Michaels was a perfect choice. Herbstreit might just be a good side-kick for him.

I loved the multiple cameras, and the name tagging. Lots of great gadgetry if I get the hang of it.

The picture quality was totally amazing. I even walked up to my 65" set to see just how good it was. It was amazing. The best pic quality I think I've ever seen for games.

Drawbacks? None for me. I have Amazon Prime, and love it. For those without it? They're on their own with this one. There's always going to be some source, but probably not the quality we get with our Prime.

Adding to their first journey is the fact that it was a great game, with two QBs who are pretty darned good. Enjoyable watching them.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give them a 9. There's always some room for improvement.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely forgot there was a game last night again. I figured they'd do a good job with it. Some guys on the radio were comparing it to when NFL went to cable, but I hope Amazon does a better job than cable did. Making it more accessible to more people and easy should be their goal. Long term it is their best strategy. Been streaming HD movies for quite a while, I didn't have any qualms about picture quality going in. One week I'll see it for myself.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i watched the entire game on amazon prime, and we have a 1.2gigabit connection. there were many times in the second half when the picture became blurry and pixelated. amazon seemed to be having some streaming problems here in my area. but then again, these two teams are of great interest to 49ers fans (my local market team).

Reaction score
i watched the entire game on amazon prime, and we have a 1.2gigabit connection. there were many times in the second half when the picture became blurry and pixelated. amazon seemed to be having some streaming problems here in my area. but then again, these two teams are of great interest to 49ers fans (my local market team).
Yeah I didn’t have issues picture quality wise. Might’ve been just your ISP. I’ve got NFL+ but I still have to fight with it on occasion to tune in which isn’t good.I. At least the Thursday games we gave that prime option.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t have issues picture quality wise. Might’ve been just your ISP. I’ve got NFL+ but I still have to fight with it on occasion to tune in which isn’t good.I. At least the Thursday games we gave that prime option.
i probably should have mentioned that every single commercial was crystal clear, but when they went back to the game, there were problems again. that tells me that it wasn't our isp. not to mention that we watch a ton of free movies on amazon prime, and we never have picture quality issues.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i probably should have mentioned that every single commercial was crystal clear, but when they went back to the game, there were problems again. that tells me that it wasn't our isp. not to mention that we watch a ton of free movies on amazon prime, and we never have picture quality issues.
2nd half we, too, had the pixelation problems. I thought is was OK for their 1st attempt, I'm sure personalities will become more comfortable as the season wears on. Really liked the slight differences in camera angles and/or visual presentation from "normal" network broadcasts.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked Michaels in the booth, not so much Herbstreit. Whenever I hear Herb its always on a college game, so that was a little different.

I might be in the minority here, but I'm not at all a fan of streaming games on Amazon. Where I live the internet is pretty poor, but not to the point where it won't function. I even have Prime too. I feel like this move really alienates some of the audience who might not have access to the game like some of us.

It was neat to have different broadcast angles. However, I feel like a lot of the AWS stats that they put up are incredibly worthless. What good does it do to the fan if some teams have a win probability change, what the catch probability was, etc. I just kinda feel like it's information overload, but I know a lot of people like that.

Sadly, I think a lot of football games are heading in this direction (Sunday Ticket). I'll just stick to my satellite for games. Of course, I've never been one who really likes change lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t stand that AWS bull ****. It’s geared directly at the gambling segment. Let them think they offer more data so it’s not gambling, they’re too prepared lol. Just another way to fuel the data and analytics and part fools and their money.

Are they not airing on any broadcast station simultaneously on Thursday’s? I assumed they would be like many were last year. If not, it’s a mistake.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked Michaels in the booth, not so much Herbstreit. Whenever I hear Herb its always on a college game, so that was a little different.

I might be in the minority here, but I'm not at all a fan of streaming games on Amazon. Where I live the internet is pretty poor, but not to the point where it won't function. I even have Prime too. I feel like this move really alienates some of the audience who might not have access to the game like some of us.

It was neat to have different broadcast angles. However, I feel like a lot of the AWS stats that they put up are incredibly worthless. What good does it do to the fan if some teams have a win probability change, what the catch probability was, etc. I just kinda feel like it's information overload, but I know a lot of people like that.

Sadly, I think a lot of football games are heading in this direction (Sunday Ticket). I'll just stick to my satellite for games. Of course, I've never been one who really likes change lol
I can't argue with your logic on this to be honest. Everything worked just great for me, and I was using 3 TVs, side by side, to get different angles, etc. By the end of the game, I was exhausted! LOL

Everyone will see it differently, and I agree, that there can be problems with streaming. I've had it happen myself, in the past. It's totally frustrating!

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't argue with your logic on this to be honest. Everything worked just great for me, and I was using 3 TVs, side by side, to get different angles, etc. By the end of the game, I was exhausted! LOL

Everyone will see it differently, and I agree, that there can be problems with streaming. I've had it happen myself, in the past. It's totally frustrating!
Yeah I’m just not big on the whole streaming phase. I can’t stream a game and my wife be on her phone/laptop without the picture quality dropping or it buffering. I think that’s the way things are heading though

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I’m just not big on the whole streaming phase. I can’t stream a game and my wife be on her phone/laptop without the picture quality dropping or it buffering. I think that’s the way things are heading though
If you're using a wireless connection, and are a fair distance away from the modem, it can greatly reduce your capability when anything else is taking bandwidth.

I had that problem, and invested less than $20 in a booster, which plugged into one of the HDMI ports on my computer, and it made all the difference in the world. Since I don't know if that's your problem, can't say, but here's the booster I used, and I have three walls and a fair amount of distance between the modem and my computer.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're using a wireless connection, and are a fair distance away from the modem, it can greatly reduce your capability when anything else is taking bandwidth.
No plug in booster does diddly squat with a slow internet connection. Nothing I can do exceeds LTE speed. And LTE doesn't work inside my house. That is how slow my DSL is. I've been promised unlimited 5G availability from the new tower going up a mile from my house next spring.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I had that problem, and invested less than $20 in a booster, which plugged into one of the HDMI ports on my computer, and it made all the difference in the world. Since I don't know if that's your problem, can't say, but here's the booster I used, and I have three walls and a fair amount of distance between the modem and my computer.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Thanks! I'll make sure to check that out. I'm sure it would definitely help.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No plug in booster does diddly squat with a slow internet connection. Nothing I can do exceeds LTE speed. And LTE doesn't work inside my house. That is how slow my DSL is. I've been promised unlimited 5G availability from the new tower going up a mile from my house next spring.
Poor internet speed is one thing, but if you're too far away from the modem with the WIFI, it can be weak signal being sent to the computer, not a question of internet speed.

To be honest, I'd reached a point where I was so upset with the service that I was tempted to go to a hot spot as a source. Then I thought.... let's see if it's a problem with WIFI? Problem solved.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor internet speed is one thing, but if you're too far away from the modem with the WIFI, it can be weak signal being sent to the computer, not a question of internet speed.

To be honest, I'd reached a point where I was so upset with the service that I was tempted to go to a hot spot as a source. Then I thought.... let's see if it's a problem with WIFI? Problem solved.
My house is log, including the interior walls. WIFI signal range is just a bit better than blue tooth range. Thus all my high demand devices are hard wired. Smart TV check, laptop check, sons' two gaming rigs check, gaming systems check, DirecTV base check, my PC check. Fortunately with work schedules, not all are on simultaneously.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My house is log, including the interior walls. WIFI signal range is just a bit better than blue tooth range. Thus all my high demand devices are hard wired. Smart TV check, laptop check, sons' two gaming rigs check, gaming systems check, DirecTV base check, my PC check. Fortunately with work schedules, not all are on simultaneously.
Your home sounds like a dream! I love log homes. We owned one 55 years ago, and sold it only because we were moving out of the area for work purposes. I've missed it ever since.

Ours was an Austrian chalet, built into a side hill, 3 BR, 2 Bath, huge kitchen, family room, and living room with a natural stone fireplace, and a walk out deck overlooking the valley below. The walls were full logs, and were the inside and outside. Internal walls were tongue and groove knotty pine, and the closets in all bedrooms were cedar lined. It was also a walk out at the lower level, to a zone below the upper deck, where we grilled, stored our wood for the fireplace, and a 3+ car garage.

I loved the smell of wood burning in the fireplace on a cold winter evening. The fireplace was equipped with a heatilator in the fireplace, so it was super cozy.

I'm jealous! I also understand why you're hard wired too. Those walls are thick!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I built log homes with my dad theough middle and high school. Not the full log, but framed and 8 or 10” half log siding.

Loved building those things.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ours was an Austrian chalet,
Think 1880s era Wisconsin farmhouse not a chalet. Fieldstone basements with 5-6' ceilings. Built at least three different eras as the floor stringers are different designs. One is shaved logs, and the other two have 8" and 10" stringers. Brick shows evidence of sealed doors and windows from some bygone era, posts into the brick that appear to have been from a covered wrap around porch. And the place is drafty. Furnace won't keep up with a 40mph wind come January.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think 1880s era Wisconsin farmhouse not a chalet. Fieldstone basements with 5-6' ceilings. Built at least three different eras as the floor stringers are different designs. One is shaved logs, and the other two have 8" and 10" stringers. Brick shows evidence of sealed doors and windows from some bygone era, posts into the brick that appear to have been from a covered wrap around porch. And the place is drafty. Furnace won't keep up with a 40mph wind come January.
I love those old homes. About the only way that heating them can be somewhat less costly is if you make your own wood, and go through several cords of it each winter to supplement a conventional furnace.

They can be a chore to maintain, but there's something about them that's such a great atmosphere.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when I was between undergrad and grad school I helped remodel an old farm house near my hometown. It was one that's probably similar to your's. The original part survived the Peshtigo Fire and had at least 2 later additions. It was interesting to say the least, but turned out pretty well. The owner, though a nice woman, didn't care for it very well unfortunately.

But many of the old original shaved beam walls were built over and we tore that all back to original. Touched up the beams, re-chinked all the walls, man it looked awesome. Tore back at least 4-5 different layers of flooring in some parts to some very old maple flooring. I was pretty proud how those turned out, both times I had to do them. That's a whole other story. We had to re-engineer some supports in the basement and use some iron to restablize some things, but overall, though the original was very out of square, it was still very stable.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I love those old homes. About the only way that heating them can be somewhat less costly is if you make your own wood, and go through several cords of it each winter to supplement a conventional furnace.

They can be a chore to maintain, but there's something about them that's such a great atmosphere.
Around here the only way to have cheap wood is to own the woods. Most of the field fence lines are gone. You need help to heat by wood. I did it when young. I don't have the resources, time, or energy to invest in that. We put in a pellet stove about 20 years ago. Truck delivers 4 pallets in August and unloads them in a corner of my barn. I'm set for the winter. Living room will maintain 74 all winter, even with the winds.

OP
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pellets is a darned good alternative. You're right about the wood. I remember, as a kid, when we'd be making wood in late summer through early fall. We needed at least 20 full cord of wood each winter. We had a wood boiler furnace, and radiators. I remember one of the first things I was taught about it was how you banked the fire each night so it stayed warm until morning, and you could stoke it with fresh wood. It was one of those little side jobs which weren't little, added to the time spent working on the farm.

I played football, basketball, and baseball, so I spent a lot of time being exhausted. But, I was strong like bull! ;)

I graduated on a Friday, went into the Army, and boot camp on Monday, and the NCOs thought I was nuts, when I told them that boot camp was easier than working on the farm.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts