1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL action against the Saints

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by ExpatPacker, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    I know that this topic has not been addressed here, but it is pretty big news. Williams suspended indefinitely, Payton for a year without pay, Loomis for 8 games, and Vitt for 6. 2nd Round drafts picks of 2012 and 2013 are forfeited and the Saints pay a $500,000 fine.

Goodell came down heavy on the Saints. According to his comments, one of the main reasons for the severity of the punishments was that the Saints' organization lied to them about discontinuing the Bounty system when in fact they had not.

The suspension of Payton may be pretty harsh, but there's no question in my mind that Goodell wanted to send a message, and he sent it loud and clear. IMO the Saints are being singled out, but that's the way it happens. When you're caught, you're caught, and when you lie about it, you make it worse. After this, no other team is going to dare to do anything like this. I'm sure other teams have done it, we all know that it goes on, but they will definitely think twice after this. So in the end, the message has been delivered and it will have an effect.

2. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    I also expect that Sean Payton will resign as HC. I don't see how he could stay on under these circumstances.

Meh, I already see there's a thread on this in the other forum...move this or delete it pls

3. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Clearly they must have had a bounty on the Colts this past season to hurt their feelings in that beat down.

4. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    I dont think hes going to resign.

5. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    One less competitor with full personnel

6. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Well deserved. Quite frankly, I think GM Mickey Loomis deserves the same length of punishment as well. Short of finding guys to replace injured players, GM's really don't have a lot going on during the season, so Loomis' suspension should run when it hurts the most: during the off-season. Either way, my feeling is the Saints season is over before it even begins. What's funny is hearing all the players crying foul, saying it's unreasonable. Bullsh*t. You knew what was going on. You were told to stop and then you lied about it. Harsh, yes, but also well deserved.

I still think they should have rescinded the franchise tag this year and let Brees his free agency since the Saints didn't have a first round pick. The hysterics would have been absolutely hilarious.

7. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Yeah, loomis should be punished because he failed to take "effective action."

On the other hand, Goodell failed to take "effective action" as well, maybe he should take a year too.

8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    What did Gooddell fail to do, exactly?

9. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    "Take effective action." I mean hell, he had reason to know at the time of the initial investigation, so whatever he did was not effective.

10. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Again, what action was he supposed to take when those interviewed denied any such program existed, when there wasn't any evidence and when the accuser withdrew his accusation? It wasn't until towards the end of the 2011 season that the league received new, credible evidence that the bounty program did exist.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/03/bounty-dishonesty-could-bring-down-more-than-loomis/

11. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    It doesn't matter, his action was ineffective.

12. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    LOL! WTF was he supposed to do with no evidence and the only person willing to speak up choosing instead to stay quiet? Just suspend them without cause? C'mon man!

13. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    If he didn't know, he should have known. Captain of the ship, blah, blah, blah.

14. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Cool story, bro.

15. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Any time you need for me to I will be glad to slow down and let you catch up.